Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Kalahari jacket and jeans.  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Jonsson

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Black Tiger Ex
  • City / Town: Uppsala
Triumph Kalahari jacket and jeans.
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:45:16 AM »
Is there someone in this forum that got any experience of the Kalahari jeans and jacket?

I saw it in person on the motorbike show in Gothenburg in January and it sure does look the deal!
According to a Triumph representative there, he guaranteed that if I bought the suit I would not need a raincover as this new suit would keep me dry at all times.

I was promised the same thing about a pretty expensive Lindstrands (Halvarsson) all-weather pant and jacket I bought two years ago and it is completely useless...

This suit looks alot like the one you can buy from BMW and a friend of mine got that one and is perfectly satisfied as it keeps him almost completely dry.

But as always - first hand reviews is the ones to trust, so - anyone of you guys got any experience?

The price is certainly right anyway..:)

Some pictures and info

Jacket

Mens Triumph Kalahari Textile Jacket

A Rider Essential addition to the Adventure range, offering value without compromise, as well as key off-road/on-road riding features.

600D Poly Cordora and 500D Nylon Cordora combination
Superfabric® ceramic laminated panels
TriTex- Waterproof, windproof and breathable
Removable CE certified protectors- elbow and shoulder
Air Flow Tech- ventilation air flow panels on upper chest
and sleeves
Detachable waist bag on lower back
Flex zones for increased comfort and flexibility
Waist connection zipper

£225.00

Jeans

Mens Triumph Kalahari Textile Trousers

Multi-functional pants that fit directly to the Adventure Jacket to complete the enduro look. A waterproof, windproof liner is zipped in to the pants to make them perfect for all weather riding.

600D water repellent outer material
Detachable Tri-Tex waterproof, windproof and breathable lining
Removable CE certified knee protectors
Cargo style pockets
Knee adjusters
3m night reflective piping
Waist connection zipper provided

£195.00

Offline Vegetator

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: West Sussex
Re: Triumph Kalahari jacket and jeans.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
I think that is what's commonly known as a Twat-suit.  :008:

I do like the look of it tho  :034:

Shame Triumph don't make clothing for the larger gentleman  :019:

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12 HDXR12 Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
Having tried everything i still prefer textile - but in my experience even the best suits ship water eventually - so i have Hein Gericke jacket and Triumph trousers now and carry a light fully waterproof top and bottom. If you go through a shower textile is fine and saves stopping - but if you are on tour and there is not much chance for your kit to dry out the light waterproof top is a godsend - it can also be used as a light coat in the evening if its still raining - i always carry two sets of gloves.

It will be interesting as i will be more exposed on the Trumpet than the Busa where the rain protection is pretty good really !
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline NiK

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
As for dryness promises, I agree that they all tell the same fairytale: our product is completely waterproof, blah blah blah...
Just ask the dealer for a signed paper that clearly states that fact as a cause of deal cancellation and you'll see how much confidence he has in his product ;-)

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Blue SE eXplorer
  • City / Town: Roswell, GA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
I think you guys must have been unlikely? I've ridden in some right monsoons for days on end and none of my Hein Gericke, Dainese or now Rukka suits have leaked. Nor have my BMW gloves or boots. Then again I only buy fully lined gore-tex clothing. It's never cheap, but always worth it!

Offline davet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: GRAPHITE EXPLORER
  • City / Town: manchester
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
same here, quality gortex garments just do not leak, dryness comes at a high price. (over £600 five years ago)
I currently wear a frank thomas suit which has full body armour built in, due for replacement not because it leaks, just because the zips and velcro are finally wearing out after 5 years of constant use.

Offline hollandhanzie

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: EXPLORER 1200
  • City / Town: Hengelo
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
+1 but when the temperatures are above 10C i prefer leather.
Fun is not a straight line
www.pezzeiboyz.nl

Offline Kildareman

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
Have to say my cheap ( ha ha) rukka Marco polo jacket & trousers have for 3 years never leaked.  You get what you pay for.

Offline Jonsson

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Black Tiger Ex
  • City / Town: Uppsala
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
Thank you all for your input! I of course do realize that Goretex is the right and safe way to go but for now, I do not have the stash for it.
Even so I cant see how the Kalahari suit could be worse than my Lindstrands... :004:

I found this video btw - they sure do promise alot...  :016:

http://youtu.be/B7H9nE-ASCA

Offline Tigger 2

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: cheshire
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »
I was talking to a dealer about this clothing and I suggested that the front flaps that fold back for venting could let in water, he showed me that inside the jacket is a second waterproof layer that keeps the person wearing it dry. Makes sense its very similar to a jacket I have at the moment with a second waterproof layer under the jacket, and this has always kept me dry.
So the triumph kalahari set seems like a good bit of gear, only time will tell, it certainly feels comfortable to wear and is just the sort of clothing for the explorer and Tiger 800 bikes, loads of useful pockets and adjustment.

Nigel (Soon to be an explorer owner in graphite grey)