Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated Grips Fitting - Neat Trick  (Read 3118 times)

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Heated Grips Fitting - Neat Trick
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
Decided to fit heated grips myself rather than pay the shop around $300 for the privelege. Pretty much all the plastic on both sides has to come off, but despite what the instructions say the tank does not need to come off. (instructions are on Triumphs website-you just need to input the part number and you can download a pdf) Although the wiring goes along the right side, there is a bit of plastic which straddles both sides, which needs removing, or at least shifting out the way a bit=the frame cover at the front. The connection plug is above the cylinder head and is fairly easily accessible. The tricky part is threading the wires through the handlebars, but if you loop a bit of string round the cable and wrap parcel tape (or other thin tape) round it, then you can feed the string through, grab it at the other end with thin tweezers, then pull the cable through. After that, just plug everything together, and test it, and now you have nice toasty fingers!  :152:

Offline TigerCub

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Exeter
Re: Heated Grips Fitting - Neat Trick
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:39:28 PM »
on the subject of threading wires through bulkheads and bars and such consider getting a set of Sealey MolePoles like on this link, we sell them at work and they're a huge seller.  I pulled the link off the web, nothing to do with my work, just use Sealey part number VS8181

http://www.whiterosetools.com/Sealey-VS8181
ex-Tex after under a year

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:12 AM »
I fed a section of shrink tubing through the bars, inserted the harness end into the tubing and pulled the tubing back out while pushing the harness. Worked slick as snot.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Offline Gone14s

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 XC 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
I just took a small piece of wire and wrapped it around the wire ends and pulled it threw the bars. You only need to remove the plastic's from the right side where the plug for the harness is (just up under the right side of tank). Plug is easy to get too.

Kurt J 
Def. of a man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out, and the rest of our lives trying to get back in.

Offline MrEship

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Tiger
  • City / Town: Anacortes, wa
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 04:23:49 AM »
I do some rigging on sailboats and to get a lite string through a tube we put a vacuum on the exit and a small wad of tape on the string and it goes to the hole first time every time

Offline Richy58

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Groningen
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:16:42 PM »
I used that well known jackofalltrades ...the paper clip.. to hook around the cable /wires as they lay above the small hole in the bars.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
This makes me feel much better in regards to installing the heated grips myself.
Thank you!!

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
This makes me feel much better in regards to installing the heated grips myself.
Thank you!!

Got the installation done yesterday. Thankful I didn't need to remove the tank.
My biggest problem was/is trying to figure out where the two extra panel screws go ;)

Recent Topics