Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stupid close call  (Read 1351 times)

Offline JM0402

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • What's holding you back?
  • Bike: Red 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Cape Town
Stupid close call
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »

Thought I'd just share this experience, maybe someone can take something from it.

I'm normally the type of guy that can quickly move past something that went or could have gone horribly wrong. Analyse the situation, determine the good and the bad, put away as learning experience and move on. But this past Friday on the way home from the office something happened that is troubling me more than I expected it would. I think this is because this situation was caused solely and utterly by my own stupidity and carelessness and it could have ended really really badly.

I have seen too many accidents happen at a traffic light intersection to just start riding when the light turns green. I always first look left and right to make sure there are no s jumping the light and only start riding when I'm sure it's clear and safe to do so. This normally just takes a second or so.

Now, waiting for the TEX to come I'm riding my wife's HD Sportster to the office and back. Friday afternoon came, I packed up and got on the bike to go home and at an intersection that I know from experience to be a dangerous place - I turn left - the light was red and I went past the cars to the front of the line as I normally do. And when the light turned green - for once - I failed to check the crossing traffic and started riding into the turn. Thankfully I kept very much to the left of the turn and as I started straightening the bike, my eye caught a taxi thundering down on me from behind. An instinctive swerve left perhaps saved the day as the taxi sped by me close enough to have reached out and touched it.

This was totally preventable. If I just bothered to look right before starting off I would have seen this complete  and given him the 2 or 3 seconds needed to jump through the intersection. A lesson I won't soon forget and I'm very very grateful that I did not have to pay a higher price to learn that lesson than a dry mouth and a body full of adrenalin.

Offline -Hoops-

• Explorer Master
Re: Stupid close call
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:22:19 AM »
Your experience just goes to show how a small lapse in concentration could end up with disastrous results. I think we all have these lapses from time to time and I'm glad you're OK.  I'm sure you'll be doubly cautious at this place in future, but it's not helped by tw@ts who drive and don't give a $hit about anyone else  :013:

Stay safe.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
This sort of thing has happened me too, and like you it bothers me because with the experience I have, it should not have happened. I am putting it down to my age, now 64, but am not using that as an excuse. In my case it means making an even bigger effort to concentrate and not let my mind wander. I have always found that the faster I go on a bike the more focussed I am. Accordingly my experience with such a lapse was when I was distracted or travelling slowly. Anyway Thanks for posting what is a reminder to us all to keep focussed .  :028:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:09:26 PM by Griff »

Offline TigerCub

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
been there, done that, it scares you for a while and you say many thank yous to the guardian angels, and the next time you pay more attention.

You lived to tell the tale, so all in all a success

That's biking and I'll guarantee most others on here will have similar stories
ex-Tex after under a year

Offline MJake

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCa
  • City / Town: Harlan Iowa
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:26 PM »
A momentary lapse of reason happens to all of us...glad it all worked out for you.
I bet your skivvies didn't fair so well though...  :155:
Speed has never killed anyone.  It's becoming suddenly stationary that kills you.

Offline T0mahawk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Redbourn
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Glad all ended well. A great reminder that self analysis and understanding that we can make errors is a really important part of riding.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
I want to thank you for sharing also. We all have a brain fart occasionally, but it helps to be reminded occasionally that we really need to stay alert. I was a lineman for nearly 32 years and remember being reminded in safety meetings many times that most of the serious accidents that happen come from repetition of so many procedures that we fail to consciously think about for each movement we make. Stay alert out there ladies & gents... :305:
Jon

Recent Topics

nonskid