Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ROSPA training  (Read 4104 times)

Offline -Hoops-

• Explorer Master
Re: ROSPA training
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »
Thanks wellfed and John for your comments, they're helpful and I'll certainly look into training once I've found my feet with the TEx (just over 2 weeks until delivery!).   So far I'm leaning towards IAM as it's a one-off, I do enough renewable training as it is and whilst I understand the RoSPA approach it doesn't appeal to me (I ride to get away from rules and regulations, the last thing I want to do is bound by more!).  That said, I will research it more when the time is right.

John, your Major Fotherington-Smythe name made me laugh out loud!  I once did an off-road training course with an IAM instructor, who upon finding out the rest were non-IAM-ers, made a point in the pub the night before of making it clear he was a better and safer rider than all of us.  He may have been on the road, but on the dirt we consistently had to wait for him to catch up - and we weren't riding at pace - which quietened him down a bit  :008:  On that note I'd highly recommend some off-road training for road riders, it pays dividends and really helps with control, to a point, with losing the front or rear.  Whether that'll help with a bike a weighty as the TEx remains to be seen  :016:

Thanks again.

Offline straggler99

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: various
  • City / Town: Abroad
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
As others have said, the difference between IAM and ROSPA is not a great deal. The personalities involved can be an issue, though.

On that note, I'd like to come to the defence of ex-police riders (I'm not an ex-copper!). I used to work with some ex class 1 police driving and riding instructors and they were, on the whole, completely without ego, open to advice, and "relaxed" about observance of the national speed limit.

The key point here is that they were ex police INSTRUCTORS and were therefore at the top of their game. Some of the ex police class 1 drivers/riders did have a bit of a chip on their shoulder, though, but they weren't police instructors.

Any ex-military people should recognise the issue - the special forces guys are generally (although not always, of course) nice guys. The people from regiments who consider themselves "the best" (about 12 different outfits in the British military, I think!) can have a very chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.

I think any form of advanced riding instruction is a very worthwhile thing to do. And, as someone else pointed out, off-road riding is very helpful and a great laugh too!

Offline Uncle Ricky

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: TAUNTON
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »
Have you taken your test yet Mr Hoops

Offline Tewdric

• Explorer Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 07:06:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by the burpster [+]
I have observed for both. Which ever you do will sharpen your skills some peeps by a lot others less so.

I prefer RoSPA purely because in order to stay current you are retested (one time pass for IAM). Both use the same system.

What makes or breaks the group you are hoping to ijoins the people involved. In my experience (as a Police Advanced trainer) is that there are a lot of peeps out there who set themselves up as 'experts' but whilst they can most definitely talk the talk, few can actually walk the walk. Also remember you can at any time take a rain check and go out with Bikesafe who are nearly all current or retired Police bikers to get an idea of what your group is like.

My advice FFIW is go whichever group you like the people running it, beware of anoraks that only spout Roadcraft at you or that are outspoken about what they have done (which is often FA).

Go with a group that are laid back and quietly confident which is how they should be, irrespective of whether they are IAM torque RoSPA.

There is an awful lot of merit in getting tuition from a proper police advanced rider, rather than someone who has been taught outside of the police.  The difference in riding standard is massive.  I did and sailed through a rospa test at gold standard without any input from a rospa tutor.  Get to know Motorcycle Roadcraft backwards and look Round for a police class one rider to show you how to put it into practice is my suggestion!

Offline -Hoops-

• Explorer Master
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Uncle Ricky [+]
Have you taken your test yet Mr Hoops
Nope, not yet I'm afraid.  It's on a long list of things to do, some bike related, some not!

Offline Uncle Ricky

• Explorer Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
 :400:
*Originally Posted by -Hoops- [+]
Nope, not yet I'm afraid.  It's on a long list of things to do, some bike related, some not!
I done my test last year with SAM, (Somerset Advanced Motorcyclists) great bunch of guys and gals.
Have rideouts nearly every weekend plus lots of other events.  I have just starting training to be an observer.

Offline -Hoops-

• Explorer Master
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »
Might tap you up then for some training  :016:

Offline Uncle Ricky

• Explorer Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by -Hoops- [+]