Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 5 outlet Power Block & 4 port USB charger  (Read 4306 times)

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
Re: 5 outlet Power Block & 4 port USB charger
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
Yup, its the one in the post farther up, with the 5 green leds - one led per output channel.

Its not obvious in the pics but the screw connectors are pluggable. You can make off all your connections and then plug them into the box.

Offline BigAl77

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Portishead
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
Any chance of a fitting or idiots guide on these?

Offline Fleurdelyes

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Cranberry Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
I would like one of these please...... How do I get one ? The power block that is ......
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:30:12 AM by Fleurdelyes »
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill

• Forum Sponsor
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »
I wrote the following to go on the website of a chap who used to be an authorised reseller for me...

If you connect accessories direct to your battery, one day you'll forget to turn the device off and come back to a drained battery. This clever little box contains a relay that takes a signal from a switched live (a wire that is live only when the key is turned to the on position), and supplies power to the 5 outputs only when the key is turned to the on position. The FuseBox has 4 outputs rated up to 5A and 1 output rated up to 2A.

But the really clever part is that each individual output is protected by an auto-resetting fuse.

The fuses used are ‘self healing’. In the event of an electrical short in your accessory circuit, the individual output with the short will shut itself down. Instead of you needing to replace a fuse, simply turn the key off, and on again and the fuse will have automatically repaired itself and all outlets will be powered up. If the short is still present, the circuit will simply shut down again.

Easy to install
Built in relay
Automatically self-healing fuses
Compact (60mm x 55mm x 35mm)
No crimping or soldering required
5 fused circuits (4x 5A and 1x 2A)
Protects your bike wiring loom and battery from short circuits

The FuseBox has two removable connectors, a small 3 way connector (for inputs) and a larger 6 way connector (for outputs)

The 3 way connector should be wired as follows:
12V : connect directly to battery “+” Terminal
Switched : connect to an output that is live when the ignition is on (the tail light is a good example of this on bikes where the lights are always on)
0V : connect directly to battery “–” Terminal

The 6 way connector is wired as follows:
5A : 12V switched outlet for your accessory - can provide up to 5A continuously (There are 4x 5A Outputs)
2A : 12V switched outlet for your accessory - can provide up to 2A continuously (There is 1x 2A Outputs)
0V : Ground connection for accessories.

Connect the positive lead on your accessories to a spare 5A or 2A outlet
Connect the negative lead on your accessories to either the 0V connection on the 6 way connector, or else directly to the battery “–” Terminal

The 5A outlets are suitable for a heated jacket or a pair of led spot or fog lamps
The 2A outlet is suitable for a sat nav, heated gloves or a USB charging outlet

If running a pair of filament spot or fog-lamps then connect each bulb to a separate 5A outlet so as to not overload the system. Connected this way, an electrical fault in one part of your circuit will cause one bulb to go out while the other stays illuminated.

By connecting your accessories through the 5 way fused relay output, it is impossible for any of them to draw current from the battery when the bike ignition is switched off.

The unit is designed to protect against an electrical short circuit in your wiring, or in your accessory product. If left unchecked a short circuit will cause damage to your bike’s wiring loom and could in extreme cases cause an fire. This unit will protect the bikes battery and wiring from the very high current caused by a short circuit. The system is designed so that if a higher than normal current short circuit flows then the cut off time is reduced, further enhancing your bikes protection when a short circuit occurs.

Do not common the outputs up to drive a high current load. The semiconductor devices that provide the circuit protection will not work correctly if connected in parallel.

Offline Prodded Dog

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Rotherham
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
Thanks Mark
Please PM me for your paypal details so I can order one and tidy up the wiring on my bike.
The Prodded Dog

• Forum Sponsor
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
Hi Guys, I occasionally get asked if the 5 way block is still on sale. Yes it certainly is and is available at the link below. The current version has one led instead of 5 but otherwise just the same functionality, and no price rise in 4 years!

https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/product-page/5-way-switched-fused-power-outlet-1

Thanks, Mark

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
And as I a long time user of this product, let me add that it is HIGHLY recommended!
I've powered many electrical add-ons with it and it never let me down!

(auto-resetting fuses are a blessing to those who don't know what they're doing ;-)

Recent Topics