Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2015 TEX, are all the problems worked out?  (Read 24809 times)

Offline 2102 regit

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger Explor
  • City / Town: Lake Havasu City, Az
2015 TEX, are all the problems worked out?
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
So my local dealer has a new 2015 TEX and I'm really tempted. I purchased my first TEX back in 2012 and loved the bike but it was plagued with a lot of issues; low speed surging and stumbling, extremely sensitive throttle, power would sometimes feel flat, and cruise control that wandered all over the place. After a few thousand miles I traded the bike for something else but I miss that Triumph Triple power and when my bike was running right it was fantastic.
I've followed the recalls to the earlier bikes and though the only changes to the '15 models are colors and new cruise control can I assume that the above mentioned issues have been resolved?
I tried the new 1200 GSLC and it's a nice bike but the engine doesn't compare to the Triumph IMHO.

Offline JM0402

• Explorer Pro
  • What's holding you back?
  • Bike: Red 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Cape Town
Re: 2015 TEX, are all the problems worked out?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »
I have a 2015 model and it's going to dealers this Friday for a service update on alternator. Not sure exactly what the issue is.

Whilst therre, I've also asked that they check 2 issues for me:

1) Sometimes on startup there is a real grating in the engine. Not the too-be-expected 1200 gravel, but sounds like something is shaken in a coffee tin. Has only happened twice.

2) When carying pillion, at around 3000 rpm accelerating, there is an additional noise that sounds as if it comes from the shaft drive. Remonds of the noise it makes when a car gearbox is getting towards the end. Only on that revs in 2nd and 3rd gear and only if I'm carrying extra load. Rear suspension adjusted to max.

Apart from those 2 issues, I have not heard of anything else in the model range.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
My 12 bike is in for a service Friday - ok only 12k miles but trouble free in three years - side stand bolt will be done and MOT  :005: its officially old - in true England style I also booked my Jota in on Saturday - its due to piss with rain  :230: I think Triumph have followed up generally where they had issues and I think I would buy another tomorrow if I needed to 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline the mechanic

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2102 regit [+]
So my local dealer has a new 2015 TEX and I'm really tempted. I purchased my first TEX back in 2012 and loved the bike but it was plagued with a lot of issues; low speed surging and stumbling, extremely sensitive throttle, power would sometimes feel flat, and cruise control that wandered all over the place. After a few thousand miles I traded the bike for something else but I miss that Triumph Triple power and when my bike was running right it was fantastic.
I've followed the recalls to the earlier bikes and though the only changes to the '15 models are colors and new cruise control can I assume that the above mentioned issues have been resolved?
I tried the new 1200 GSLC and it's a nice bike but the engine doesn't compare to the Triumph IMHO.

From what I have read, the BMW has more issues than are healthy to have, as regards the Tex of 2015 spec, I really couldn't say and if you judge by the forum, the faults there are across the range, do not appear to be confined to this vin number or to that vin number. The one exception being, the cylinder head debacle. As regards owning another, the camp appears to be split thus, those who would, those where hell would freeze over first and those who are not sure. I fall firmly into my last category, the factory back up in my experience is patchy at best, there are those who swear by it, there are those who would swear at it. Certain issues are dealt with promptly, others take an age and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why this is the case. For example the side-stand bolt sorted double quick, the rattly forks soap opera, many have given up, I myself am into nearly the 8th month of sorting out an issue, still no resolution. There are many who have had no issues at all, others whose bikes are on an elastic band between their house and the dealer. My advice is try more than one test bike (more than one Tex I mean), but be absolutely certain you want one before you buy.
As I hurtled through space, the one recurring thought I had, was that every part of this spacecraft had been supplied by the lowest bidder.

Astronaut John Glenn.

Online smorgan

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »
Or buy a BMW and take it back for a wheel recall or a suzuki and go back for new brakes or a whatever every manufacturer has issues - for what it's worth my advice is find a good dealer and buy the bike that feels good :0) a bike is bought by the heart cars and other assorted mundane things are bought by the head
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:39:11 PM by smorgan »

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »
I have a late 2012 purchased in early 2013. It was purchased as a two up tourer. However as a solo backroads bike it is a revelation.  My Wife loves it as a pillion. Any issues that I encountered were sorted promptly. Apart from the Head they were all minor. With the addition of Wilbers suspension front and rear, I now have a really nice motorcycle that is working exactly as I want it. I have tried the other big Traillies with shafts, but none of them tempted me away. I am aware that the Tex is not perfect,  but the bike is so good that I am willing to stick with it. Early on in my ownership I was one of the more vocal in my criticism of it. Obviously it has grown on me.

You will get bikes like the Crosstourer or the Tenere which will never have a problem, and will go on forever without issue, but for me they were lacking something. Nonetheless they are excellent motorcycles.  My current plan is to keep the current Tex and possibly change for a new one in 2016.

My advice ? Give it another go  :002:

Offline the mechanic

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:05:55 AM »
You are right Griff, I tested the Tenere and the Crosstourer, they lacked "character" if you get my meaning. Excellent motorcycles true (I still have two Hondas, fantastic bikes), but just lacking that something  which is almost intangible. The Tex has presence in spade-loads, it certainly is quick enough in these days of jail for 122 mph, comfortable and makes you want to ride the long way home. Personally I am not into electronically adjustable suspension, I have a mate who has a BMW, he has had endless hassle, so I await with interest the 2016 Tex, see if it is significantly different than mine, if it has electronic suspension or is significantly different in a way that I am unsure about, then I will "pull the trigger" on a suspension upgrade for mine. I still suggest the OP tries a couple of Tex's, as they are not everyone's cup of tea when ridden, for me it is. I am always looking for a deal for a different bike, whatever bike I have, but this time, I just don't see a swap which is better than I already have. For the record, I have been riding for 40 years and had over 60 bikes, so for me to not see a swap, makes the Tex some bike! (shocked the wife too) Go ride it, you just may come back with one.
As I hurtled through space, the one recurring thought I had, was that every part of this spacecraft had been supplied by the lowest bidder.

Astronaut John Glenn.

Offline JM0402

• Explorer Pro
  • What's holding you back?
  • Bike: Red 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Cape Town
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:21:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by smorgan [+]

- for what it's worth my advice is find a good dealer

I know this is a snippet taken out of context, but just on it's own that is probably the best advice.

So you may find some issues with the bike. From what I have read on this forum, there is a real difference in the owner's view of the problem depending on the service and feedback he gets from the dealer. Some bikes that have had real issues have smiling owners, because the dealer does his level best to satisfy.

Trawl the dealer thread and go buy a bike from a trusted and highly reputable dealer.

Offline ZED1000

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: S10 YAM, HD FAT BOB
  • City / Town: Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
This post represents my own opinions and experiences I do realise other on this forum have polar opposite opinions and experiences.

After owning 2 Explores I have this month taken delivery of a new Super Tenere, here’s why.

As soon as the Exp was released  I set myself a target to own one with in a year or so,previous recent bikes up to this point had been various Harleys(still have one) a 6 month old BMW R1200GS Kawasaki GTR1400 (brief encounter of 8 weeks ownership) and 2 Buell Ulysses, as I have said before vastly underrated bikes, we had two excellent test rides on the EXP and also have a brilliant local dealer, not having the funds to buy a brand new bike and after viewing 5 or 6 used EXPs I found a 10 month old  March 13 4000 mile EXP  at a Yamaha dealer in Nottingham collected it late December 13.
After 4 stays at the dealer for various well documented recalls and problems over the first 5 months of owning it, I decided that was enough for me, although at this point the bike was running perfectly we had a holiday booked touring Scotland, I had by then lost faith in this bike, we had a great time touring Scotland but always a nagging doubt as to the bikes reliability.

For me the EXP has without doubt the most flexible  power delivery in the adv bike class a long way ahead of any competition, (my opinion), it is an excellent two up touring bike,  a little top heavy when loaded.

My faith in this bike had gone and so I sold this bike a few weeks after we returned from Scotland , I then started to search for a replacement, viewing and test riding various of the EXPs competition, all of which came up short in the way they delivered their power compared to the EXP, then I decided to give Triumph a second chance and found a newer later Explorer with a few more miles on than the one I had sold, feeling that I had been unlucky with the first EXP looked forward to getting back on the road again on an EXP.

What a mistake that was, 1 week later and this bike is in at the dealer with warranty issues, back on the road for 10 days and the back to the dealer for yet another recall, That’s it for me with Triumph (well never say never) I did less than 100 miles after the bike was returned to me, this second EXP was traded against my new Super Ten.

I had wanted to own a Triumph for a number of years before the launch of the EXP but nothing in the range at that time suited my requirements, then came the EXP , that was the bike for me for all my biking requirements,  shame my experiences of the 2 EXPs have put me off the Triumph brand.. 
During this past year my local  dealer provided faultless service every time either bike was with them always updating me and always completing the jobs in the planed time, ensuring the bike was available for my collection when I needed it and on one occasion arranging for an afterhours collection to help me out.
I bought the Super Ten after a recommendation from a local guy I had met  through this forum he decided  to PX his Tiger 1050 for an S10 he persuaded me to take a test ride and I liked the bike also liked its reputation for reliability, at this time I had also been interested in the new Kawasaki Versys, again the Z1000s reliability attracted me to the bike, final choice came down to the PX  deal offered on the Yamaha being considerably better.
Having not yet covered 400 miles on the S10 my opinion on its ability’s  are not yet fully formed, I can say it is a very comfortable and reassuring bike to ride has everything on it I need, carries its weight much lower than the EXP , the cruse control is streets ahead of the Exp both in its positioning of the switches and its operation, I  know that we have less power available and the S10 can’t match the Exp in the way the power is delivered, as stated earlier nothing else can (my opinion).

In short if you have doubts I don’t think Triumph have done enough to convince prospective buyers who are being asked to part with £11000 for what should be a premium level product that they have a handle on the poor quality outsourced components which are letting them down, doubts about the bikes short term reliability and its long term durability are in my opinion tarnishing Triumphs previously heled good name for its products.
Don't wait for your ship to come in....swim out and meet the bloody thing."
Barry Sheene  RIP 1950-2003

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
I brought my new TEX home in May of 2012. It was one of the earlier bikes delivered to the States and I believe it was in the first shipment delivered to Iowa. Although mine has gone through all the SBs and recalls, the bike has been faultless and my dealership is simply stellar. I've been riding for well over 50 years now & have lost track of how many bikes I've owned over the years, (although not near as many as some here) but I can say the TEX is the finest bike I've ever owned or ridden. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but Lord willing, plan on keeping this one around for a long time.

It's good to see you back regit. You need to follow your heart on this one bud. Go with whatever bike puts the biggest smile on your face & just enjoy it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Triumph, but there are a lot of other great bikes out there to choose from also! :821:
Jon

Recent Topics