Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bank Holiday ride  (Read 810 times)

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Bank Holiday ride
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:04:29 AM »
Hi All,

Just a little story about my riding this Easter weekend, I went out and about on Sunday for a good few hours and everything was superb, cornering, braking, over taking was fun and straight forward.

Then I went out yesterday and it was a total opposite of what had happened on Sunday, my cornering wasnt the best, I nearly ran into the back of two cars as I just didnt seem to be able to brake hard enough and eventually I gave up over taking because whenever I did it I always seemed to be getting it wrong.

So I took the decision just to pootle home and not do anything silly.

I have just put it down to one of those days but thinking about it this morning it was quite dangerous really, I felt fine and wasnt tired or anything, just couldnt figure out what had happened to make it such a different day from Sunday.

Not sure if was because the roads were so much busier yesterday and I felt like I needed eyes in the back of my helmet to see what was happening that I wasnt truly relaxing.

Anyone else have days like this?

Cheers,

Tony

Offline JM0402

• Explorer Pro
  • What's holding you back?
  • Bike: Red 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Cape Town
Re: Bank Holiday ride
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
Hi Tony,

It could really just have been one if those days. I use my bike every day for commuting and general transport and I have quickly learnt to identify the signs when the focus and rhythm just isn't there.

Most days everything just flows and you don't have to think about it, there just us a natural rhythm to your riding and you can almost spot and avoid things before there is even a hint anything will happen.

Other days, thankfully few and far between, I miss the change up to second right from the get go and everything just feels rushed. When ut first happened I really panicked, could not understand what was happening, but these days I just accept it for what it is, slow down and just concentrate on remaining out of any possible dangerous situations. Sometimes, just accepting it and dialling down the notch helps me get the focus and rhythm back. Other times, When it hit really bad, I even went as far as turning around and phoning the office to say I'm working from home today.

When this happens on a social ride, I'll take every opportunity to stop and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes it comes right, other times I turn around and go home and chalk it up to one of those days. There will be other riding opportunities.

Good on you for not pushing when your game was off. This is unfortunately the type of activity where being even slightly off your game can cost you dearly.

Next ride will be super.  :821:

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
Cheers for the reply, think it just concerned me when I thought about the Scotland trip I have coming up in a couple of months where I will be riding every day, and as you say you cant really get away with off days on a bike as it could cost you.

I'm sure I will be fine, could actually be a good thing that I have experienced it now rather than when I am in the middle of nowhere in Scotland!!!

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
I think we all have those days - the important thing is to recognize you're having them. I think when we ride well, we're really at one with the bike - a bit like skiing. I've skied for forty years and did six as ski patrol in Switzerland, but I still have days when I don't get it together.

Recent Topics

nonskid