Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A40 tyre – Product review  (Read 10235 times)

Offline MrMac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Dacula, Ga.
Re: Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A40 tyre – Product review
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
Yea, I know what you mean! I've been planning a ride this (long) weekend to Moonshine IL for the 'Moonshine lunch run', but another cold snap has me re-thinking those plans. I'm past the stage where camping in sub-freezing temperatures is considered fun!

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »
So, to close this thread out, recall that my FIRST set of A40s were installed by a dealer.  My second set of A40s were installed by me, in my garage, using hand tools on a hot and humid Saturday in August. (I think)  Which nearly killed me ... 

The sole "complaint" I have with these tires are that they are the stiffest, most stubborn, hardest to distort, stretch, or otherwise work onto a rim I have ever tried.  (I was really glad, at that point, that Triumph chose to use "skinny" little 150 section tires.)

With that in mind, this spring I replaced the A40s with Tourance Next for my then-planned 3500 mile run up to Prince Edward Island and back.  And the Next were much easier to install than the A40s were to remove. 

HOWEVER - There has been an "untraceable" slow leak from the Next, front and rear, since they were installed.  Nothing too serious, one psi per 2-3 days, just enough to be irritating.  I've replaced the valves, then replaced them again, then replaced the caps, and the leak is still there.  I think it has to be due to a poor seal from the bead.  I'll have to remove the tires to see if I damaged the beads. 

And that will happen fairly soon, as the Next's are now approaching 5000 miles, have wide flat spots, and I just plain don't like and don't trust them as much as I did the A40s.  And the Next are noisy to boot.  I can't really tell if they are getting worse as the flat spot widens, or if they are just irritating me more as mileage builds. 

So right now, even if they are a physical trial to mount, A40s are my top candidate for my next set of tires.  In another thread, I have asked about the difficulty of mounting other candidate with hand tools, but as of now, I have received two recommendations to change my tools and/or technique but no comments about the tires I inquired about.  If that doesn't change, I will stick with the devil I know and be happy when the job is done.  (And maybe buy some longer spoons ... )

Dick63

Offline markis42

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Xc
  • City / Town: Bromsgrove
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Just fitted a pair of A40s to my Tex. Been out today for a quick 200 miles scrub and have to say they feel good. Bike steers well no following lines in the road (even the forest of dean which is bad) and good grip both in and out of the bends. Reckon they will bed down nicely and be a good match for the triumph.
They started to grip well after about 120 miles and I could then feel them proper.
Hope they last well and judging by the tread depth they will. Also its so nice not to have to tolerate the awful noise the Exp tyres made at around 40-50 mph.
Its a thumbs up from me so far.

Offline DarthDude

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Kuala Lumpur
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
Hi guys- I just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

It was what made me plonk for a set of A40s just before taking off on the trip of a lifetime- from Kuala Lumpur to Phnom Penh, to Vientiane to Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha back into Thailand at Chiang Kong, up to the Golden Triangle in Chiang Rai and then down the whole length of Thailand back to Kuala Lumpur. Over 3 weeks and 10,000 miles of tarmac- both good roads and viciously potholed ones, laterite, mud and gravel through scorching hot days, 10ºC days, light rain and wrath-of-God torrential downpours back in January.

They took everything the trip threw at them and they're now barking at 15,000 miles with easily 40% left on them.

They've been very consistent, giving me plenty of confidence that they're not going to do anything unexpected, the stiff sidewalls protected the alloy wheels I have on my 2012 'splorer version 1.0 through all the bad roads we went through and I even found them surprisingly bitey for a road tyre in gravel and laterite and even mud.

In every respect and in all conditions they make the factory Metzeler Tourance EXPs and the two sets of Tourance NEXTs that succeeded them, utterly pointless..... apart from painted stripes on wet roads where the Metzelers were less nervous, there is NO aspect of tyre performance in which these A40s didn't comprehensively outshine them.

In fact where both Tourance EXP and NEXT would have worn so thin and so unevenly by 10,000 miles they were unuseable, these A40s were still able to put up a decent performance at close on 15,000 miles age last weekend when I went trail riding with some buddies. Ok, so I couldn't go exactly where they did on their Karoos and Anakee Wilds but as I say- enough to be credible.

Happy. VERY happy. Thanks guys!

Now the only problem is to decide whether to get another set when these finally die or to experiment with some other tyres. I'm told the Pirelli Scorpion Trail and Continental Trail Attack 2s are worth trying...... but it's hard to imagine how they'll be an improvement over these A40s, at least where my riding is concerned.

That's a great problem to have!

Pics- top to bottom:-
1) Xmas eve 2016- brand new A40s bought on the strength of the comments on this thread
2) Mid ride in Laos. It really is beautiful there.
3) The front tyre today. Note even wear through the entire tread width. Still useful 5000 miles after Metzeler Tourance EXP and NEXT would have had to be binned.
4) The rear today. Looks like it'll outlast the front.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:40:31 PM by DarthDude »
Mac OSX- because making UNIX user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows!

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 08:17:29 PM »
Thanks for the A40 review.ive also ridden through Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand on numerous occasions. I love riding in these countries as they can be very adventurous and demanding of concentration and riding skill. One of the toughest days I've ever had on a bike was in Laos. We put our bikes on the barge and crossed the river at Luang Prabang, then headed north over some wild mountain tracks. The dirt road wound around sheer drops that would scare anyone. Brakes were boiling and failing from steep down hill sections, one of my mates went over the edge but managed to jump off before his bike disappeared down the slope. Managed to retrieve it as it got snagged in some bush. That road had wash out runnels that could swallow your bike, many rocky creek crossings, lots of perilously slippery red mud and Boulder strewn track. It took about 6 hours to travel 100 Klms finally finishing with having to cross a very rickety hand made bridge across a fast running river. One slip and you were gone. I loved every second.
I'm using mitas e07 dakars at the moment and like them a lot. Keen to try the A40s some time in the future.

Offline DarthDude

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
Heh! I bet that wasn't a 'splorer you managed to recover out of a bush. I don't think there's any bush that can hold a 'splorer that's heading downhill!

Laos is brilliant and I didn't get enough of it. I'm planning another ride back maybe in January, this time from Pakse down to Veun Kham then up the East to the Plain of Jars, across to Vang Vieng and then back to KL via Vientiane. Any idea what the (main) roads are like along the East? If they're anything like the Vientiane-Luang Prabang-Luang Namtha route I'll use another set of A40s for that ride, else I might need to look for something a bit more butch, maybe Karoos or Anakee Wilds, just for a bit more margin if things get gnarly.

My ride buddy is on a R1200GS Rallye and I tellya- your best buddy in the world will leave you if you've dropped your 1200cc DP more than a few times in a day. Given the 'splorer's disadvantages with the higher CG and lower ground clearance (hey let's be honest here) on poor surfaces, I don't want to leave myself too much work to do to keep up with him. What do you reckon? A40s or Anakee Wilds?

Here's a pic of both our bikes somewhere between Kasi and Luang Prabang. I can't wait to go back!

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 11:48:51 PM »
True,it wasn't an explorer. I'd love to be able to take my tex but have to resort to hiring whatever we can get over there. On that trip we had 450's thankfully because I'm not sure we could have managed anything much bigger. We really did some heavy duty off-roading. Funnily, we came across another rider who said he'd spent the night trapped under his bike on a high isolated track after he'd come a gutzer. He waited half the next day before someone came along and helped. One of the longest downhill winding roads I've ever ridden was from phongsali in the far north to phonsavan (plain of jars) which is a fascinating place.

Most of the roads are up to fairly good standard but as you know , can deteriorate quickly in Asia and are deadly for the unwary. In May this year I was in Vietnam and had a near miss with a truck barrelling down a steep hill. It had a bent front axle so the front wheels were wobbling crazily, it was fully overloaded with huge rocks and to top it off the driver was steering with his elbow because he had a piece of watermelon in one hand  and  a mobile phone to his ear in the other. Ahh, the joy of near death experiences really make you feel alive.

Offline DarthDude

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Grey tiger [+]
True,it wasn't an explorer. I'd love to be able to take my tex but have to resort to hiring whatever we can get over there. On that trip we had 450's thankfully because I'm not sure we could have managed anything much bigger. We really did some heavy duty off-roading. Funnily, we came across another rider who said he'd spent the night trapped under his bike on a high isolated track after he'd come a gutzer. He waited half the next day before someone came along and helped. One of the longest downhill winding roads I've ever ridden was from phongsali in the far north to phonsavan (plain of jars) which is a fascinating place.

Most of the roads are up to fairly good standard but as you know , can deteriorate quickly in Asia and are deadly for the unwary. In May this year I was in Vietnam and had a near miss with a truck barrelling down a steep hill. It had a bent front axle so the front wheels were wobbling crazily, it was fully overloaded with huge rocks and to top it off the driver was steering with his elbow because he had a piece of watermelon in one hand  and  a mobile phone to his ear in the other. Ahh, the joy of near death experiences really make you feel alive.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah- you gotta love the local drivers.

Of course, coming from Kuala Lumpur, I'm probably less easily shocked by watermelon-and-cellphone-driving than you would be but yeah you certainly need to be on your toes.

Ok- looks like it'll be another set of A40s for this ride then! I'm glad- I'm not really one to be experimenting with strange tyres during a big ride.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
I am on my fourth front tyre and third rear, just changed today at 22,700 Km, I am not an aggresive rider though, far from it. The OEM tyres have been replaced with two front A41's and one rear A41 so far. Well today I went back a version to the A40 front and rear in the hope I might get a little more longevity from my rubber. I am amazed at how sensitive the Tiger is to tyre wear, especially on the front. The steering on the bike is so so different with new rubber, mush more accurate and predictable round corners, I love it with new rubber. There was a little left on the A41, probaly another 0.5mm until the wear indicator but the steering was so compromised by then I had to change it out.

Contrast that to my Daytona 1200 which I took up to the tyre shop right after my T12, a 30 minute ride each way. I replaced two very old worn BT-021's, must of been at least eleven years old, they were like bakelite! I had fitted two BT-023's an absolute warhorse of a Bridgestone tyre which the dealer still sells piles of even with its age on the market. I left the shop and couldn't feel any difference, it was like I hadn't changed the tyres. I know I have better traction/grip and a safer tyre but the steering and feel of the bike was no different to me at all.

I do think the T12 does give that front rubber a hard time, no matter which manufacturer you go with. I'll post back in this thread when I put some decent mileage on these A40's. Though god knows when that will be these days, still no leisure riding allowed in Ireland for some time yet.

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 05:16:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dick63 [+]
the leak is still there.  I think it has to be due to a poor seal from the bead.  I'll have to remove the tires to see if I damaged the beads. 
How did you go, instead of blood, sweat, wasted time and tears removing the tyre, why not just put the whole wheel in a tub of water and look for bubbles?

Recent Topics

nonskid