Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Second Man Drop OFF? You Gotta Be Kidding..........  (Read 4509 times)

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
Second Man Drop OFF? You Gotta Be Kidding..........
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
Can someone explain why this second man drop off is a good idea?
Just followed a group through a busy town where the second man dropped off onto the pavement, the middle of the road, the middle of a roundabout (I kid you not) and the kerb on a sharp left hand bend. Then the numpty in the pink vest at the back stopped anyone from getting past until he got the drop off back in the traffic. If there had been an impatient car or van behind it would have been an accident waiting to happen. And..... what is the point of a second man drop off when you have a numpty in a pink vest at the back as a back marker anyway?
I think the whole idea is inherently unsafe, inconvenient to other road user and is a recipe for an accident.

Offline ayrhead

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Graphite Explore
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
Re: Second Man Drop OFF? You Gotta Be Kidding..........
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »
The reason for it is to allow everone to ride at their own pace.

If you have a leader he just needs to make sure he has at least one person behind him so that any time they make a turn they "drop off" or "mark" the corner.

Therefore there is no pressure for anyone to ride at a pace they are uncomfortable with to keep up with faster riders as someone will be waiting on them if a turn has been made.

Our local club use this system and it works.

Obviously common sense needs to be applied to where it is safe to stop and I guess you met with a group who are not very experienced at it.

I'm just back from a day out with the club and we covered 250 miles and countless junctions with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Offline T0mahawk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Redbourn
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »

*Originally Posted by r2uzenblot [+]
Just followed a group through a busy town where the second man dropped off onto the pavement, the middle of the road, the middle of a roundabout (I kid you not) and the kerb on a sharp left hand bend. Then the numpty in the pink vest at the back stopped anyone from getting past until he got the drop off back in the traffic. If there had been an impatient car or van behind it would have been an accident waiting to happen. And..... what is the point of a second man drop off when you have a numpty in a pink vest at the back as a back marker anyway?
I think the whole idea is inherently unsafe, inconvenient to other road user and is a recipe for an accident.

What system do you use? Or what system do you recommend?

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
Hmmm, I guess you've never ridden with a large group and encountered it being used properly then? (especially if you need it explaining to you!)
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
No ..... My very large group breaks up into 3 or 4 and ride in small groups together. I have only once rode with a group who did this second man drop off. (An IAM group by the way) and I told them I thought it was extremely dangerous. The group in front today was another IAM group.

If you think it's a good idea just get a bunch of 10 or 12 bikes together and head for a big town or city. Good luck with the insurance claims!

Offline T0mahawk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Redbourn
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »

No ..... My very large group breaks up into 3 or 4 and ride in small groups together. I have only once rode with a group who did this second man drop off. (An IAM group by the way) and I told them I thought it was extremely dangerous. The group in front today was another IAM group.

If you think it's a good idea just get a bunch of 10 or 12 bikes together and head for a big town or city. Good luck with the insurance claims!

Are you saying that insurance claims have been made?

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:31:11 AM »
I don't have the statistics on insurance claims but common sense says that for people to stop unexpectedly in the middle of a roundabout, on a sharp left hand turn or in the middle of the road is a recipe for an accident. The vast majority of drivers of cars and vans will have no idea what is going on and when the bike at the back unexpectedly stops there is even more potential accident risk. Even for those who may somehow guess what may be going on you will have impatient car and van drivers who will get sick and tired of being held up every junction and try and overtake.
I have been a member of the IAM for over 10 years and am amazed it is not prohibited amongst other groups.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »

Before I libel some innocent group what town was this in? Somewhere in Shropshire? If its where & who I think it might be I will tell them your concerns!

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
To be exact it was in Leominster.

The only way that the system sometimes works when you ride as a large group is
1. When the group is strung out
2. On country routes.
Where this group was making it incredibly dangerous was that they were all riding together and it was in a fairly congested town with a drop off on every single junction.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »
To be exact it was in Leominster.

OK. I will mention your concerns to the appropriate people.

Recent Topics

nonskid