Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Second Man Drop OFF? You Gotta Be Kidding..........  (Read 4211 times)

Offline jsargent

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: ExplorerXC
  • City / Town: Buckingham
Re: Second Man Drop OFF? You Gotta Be Kidding..........
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:29 AM »

Talking of IAM, it is my firm belief that some of what they preach as gospel with regard to riding motorcycles, is unsafe. For instance if I were to rigidly apply their roadcraft suggestions with regard to riding bends on backroads here in Ireland, I would not survive.

Can I just say that the IAM do not "rigidly apply" Road positioning. The aim is to produce a "thinking rider" that considers the whole situation. If you rigidly stick the the centre of the road when it's clearly not the safest place to be,  then you've not understood roadcraft. In addition,  "Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Rider's Handbook" is not gospel,  it's just a handbook.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »

*Originally Posted by jsargent [+]
Can I just say that the IAM do not "rigidly apply" Road positioning. The aim is to produce a "thinking rider" that considers the whole situation. If you rigidly stick the the centre of the road when it's clearly not the safest place to be,  then you've not understood roadcraft. In addition,  "Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Rider's Handbook" is not gospel,  it's just a handbook.

Spot on! My local IAM newsletter has 2 articles about the potential risk of falling into the habit of automatically riding "by the book". In one it points out the importance of using your instincts as well as the Roadcraft principals and in the other that it is better to sacrifice road position for personal safety. There is no golden rule that is right all the time for all circumstances. If you rigidly follow any doctrine without thinking about the way you ride you are courting disaster.

Offline Prodded Dog

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Rotherham
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
One simple rule
Do not ride by the book, ride to what you can see.

The Prodded Dog

Offline littleade

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: A German twin thing
  • City / Town: Kidderminster
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]

Spot on! My local IAM newsletter has 2 articles about the potential risk of falling into the habit of automatically riding "by the book". In one it points out the importance of using your instincts as well as the Roadcraft principals and in the other that it is better to sacrifice road position for personal safety. There is no golden rule that is right all the time for all circumstances. If you rigidly follow any doctrine without thinking about the way you ride you are courting disaster.

I would agree with the above.  The police roadcraft manual and the IAM How to be a better rider deal with the theory and IMO it's the training that goes with it to explain the system in detail and show you how to apply that theory in real life that's the vital part. Without that background knowledge and experience it would be easy to place yourself in danger.

Offline T0mahawk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Redbourn
Second Man Drop OFF? You Gotta Be Kidding..........
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »
All dealt with under the I of IPSGA. The riding (or driving) plan is always dependant on the Information. The Information may change in which case, the process starts again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:30:53 PM by T0mahawk »

Recent Topics

nonskid