Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can I charge the battery through the AUX power socket?  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Biff Wellington

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: South East QLD
Re: Can I charge the battery through the AUX power socket?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 03:16:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by cooperman1955 [+]
DADDY!  :046: :046:

GEOFFY!

My little Geoffy-kins. Is it really you? All growed up?

I`m on the next plane over, I hope there are some swings near you and you can still fit into the seat, I have a lot of pushing to catch up on...
I don`t always use public toilets but when I do, I draw a penis on the wall of the cubicle.

Offline cooperman1955

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Saffron Walden
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
Fantastic"
Grandad's calling all his pals for a welcoming party  :087:
AKA "Geoff"

Biker Happiness is .... a full tank, empty bladder and a clear visor!

Offline Biff Wellington

• Explorer Master
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:36 AM »
Saffron Walden is a fantastic little town, it was a "rest" posting for us after Omagh and it was four years of drinking and shagging, rudely interrupted for me by a 6 month posting to the Lebanon for Operation Hyperion. We had our tercentenary celebrations there in 1985 and the whole town got involved with what was an amazing and totally decadent month long piss up. Some great motorcycling in the area, too.

Sadly, after not a single casualty in NI or Beirut, we lost two soldiers in motorcycle accidents in the first 6 months there. My best mate "Sooty" Sutcliffe hit a car at speed on Thaxted Rd, late at night on his Kwaka 1000 LTD less than a mile from the barracks and a bloke from B Squadron whose name I can`t remember wrapped his CB900 around a tree, also late at night on the way back from Great Dunmow. I suspect alcohol was a contributing factor in both accidents. Another mate, Dave Hammond from D Squadron wrote his RD350LC off on Debden Road and was close to death, he spent 9 months in hospital.
 :003:

Well, that`s truly sent THIS thread off topic!  :001:
I don`t always use public toilets but when I do, I draw a penis on the wall of the cubicle.

Offline Lanch

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Nuneaton
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
Carver Bks, got there first with the 13/18H. !!
If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride.

Like I have a choice?

Offline Biff Wellington

• Explorer Master
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lanch [+]
Carver Bks, got there first with the 13/18H. !!

The Milkmen!  :001:

One of the great Cavalry regiments that sadly didn`t survive the amalgamations.  :003:

We took over from you at Carver Barracks. I think we might have taken over from you at Lisanelly Barracks in Omagh in 1980, too, although I'm not completely sure as 1st QDG was already there when I joined.

Back then, the CVRT regiments were repeating the same circuit, we went to Wolfenbuttel after that.

Small world.  :031:

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by KernowTrumpet [+]
I was wondering if it's possible to connect an Optimate to the aux power connector and charge the battery through it.

I know this is an old topic (and it went slightly off topic as well), however it comes up in Google searches.

I've had an Oxford Oximiser 900 connected through the front aux power socket on my 1200 XRT for a few weeks whilst I have been away, and still managed to have a battery problem today.

The bike started ok, but after riding a couple of minutes to the petrol station to fill up, the bike would not restart until I jumpered it with a car battery. When I checked the bike last week the Oximiser was reading 13.8V, but this morning before I unplugged it, it was reading 12.8V so something strange is happening.

There are a number of possible causes (including a faulty battery or a faulty Oximiser), and I'm going to investigate further if connecting the Oximiser directly to the battery gives a different result from going via the power socket.

Cheers
guiri

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 05:34:35 AM »
The original topic was probably based on the gen1 TEX, which had no Canbus. Not sure if that would make a difference in your case.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »
The front DIN plug on the Gen 3 is still always live and I use it for my optimate all the time. I have found that the connection has got a little corroded and not quite as reliable as it used to be. I use it for my sat nav,  fitted with an DIN plug, and have often had to reseat it several times to stop the sat nav powering off. You might try pulling the 10A fuse in that circuit and cleaning up the internals of the socket a little.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I use it for my sat nav,  fitted with an DIN plug, and have often had to reseat it several times to stop the sat nav powering off. You might try pulling the 10A fuse in that circuit and cleaning up the internals of the socket a little.

I had the same annoying intermittent satnav powering-off scenario. Eventually I discovered my problem was the power cable itself not the plug/socket connection. Hard-wired a new cable to a fuse block & haven't had a problem since.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 02:51:57 PM »
I keep my gen 2 on a battery render plugged into the front socket.  Never had a problem. 

I only use the front socket for that or my heated gear, or my air compressor in case of a flat.

Everything else is on a fuseblock.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Recent Topics

nonskid