Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Beginning to think we are sissies..........  (Read 2570 times)

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
Beginning to think we are sissies..........
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »
I've been messing with my wife to get a Ural to haul the family black lab around, but check out this video. Now I'm beginning to realize maybe the TEx isn't the best adventure bike out there.

http://youtu.be/bhyanPAwTG4
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Offline Chriswright03

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
Re: Beginning to think we are sissies..........
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
My wife is forever pestering me to get a sidecar for the TEX for our chocolate Lab.  If she sees this thread you started we are at war! :008:
All opinions in this thread are mine and mine alone.  Feel free to agree or disagree.  Other opinions are available.

Offline ayrhead

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Graphite Explore
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
Do these people not know what happens if an engine swallows water?  :005: :112: :159:

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
Apparently not, especially since I don't see any valves on those snorkels. I'd still love to take one out.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Offline Redbudgie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XC
  • City / Town: Launceston
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:16 PM »
Am I right in thinking that these Ural's , with Sidecar, actually have drive to the sidecar wheel? It would explain how they managed the river crossings so easy.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by ayrhead [+]
Do these people not know what happens if an engine swallows water?

Hence the snorkels. I was out on a TRF run this weekend where the group rode through a 2'6" deep ford on various trail bikes without misadventure - that's about what we see here. Personally I didn't do it on my TTR250, but that was only because we would be camping that evening, I didn't have a second set of dry trousers with me, and the previous night had been cold (ok, I'm a wimp). I gather one of the other groups did have one KTM which was drowned, but without any damage.

Oh, and the reason why there's a deep ford (up to 3'6") on a tarmacced  public road in the UK?  It's on a county boundary. We had a roads officer from one of the counties riding with us, and his group would have been fine to raise the bed or put in a bridge, but the other county doesn't want to pay for it.

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Redbudgie [+]
Am I right in thinking that these Ural's , with Sidecar, actually have drive to the sidecar wheel? It would explain how they managed the river crossings so easy.

You are right. It can be disengaged as needed since if I recall it limits top speed to 40 or so mph.

Offline BWeber

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Shawnee, Kansas
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:36:06 AM »
I have a 2006 Ural Patrol since new with 35,000 km on the clock.
The wheel bearings are not sealed and the vents for the final drive and transmission would be under water. Additionally the U Joints supplied from Ural are non grease able.
After this ride it would take many hours to clean and re grease everything then flushing out the rear end and transmission.
Yep you can do the off road like that but you would be impressed with the time it takes to keep it running.
The electrical system is not water proof either. 

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:06:21 AM »
To buy one of these for light off road use and mostly road what's your feedback? Are they well built and how well do they do at 65 or 70 with the car? Thanks for thoughts.

Offline BWeber

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Shawnee, Kansas
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
You would be much better off getting a Bonneville and putting a sidecar on it. About the same money when you get done.
The Ural is a lot of fun and I love the styling but they can be a maintenance pig. Any uphill or headwind and it will not do 65 or 70.  I've had times on 435 around kansas city that 50 mph was max.  People love them and if you go on the Ural forms to report problems you will not get a warm welcome.  Kind of like telling someone their kids ugly. 
Had the bolts holding the front disk brake on fail due to quality. Caught it ust before the disk came off and could lock up the front wheel.  Had the rear end lock up and grenade due to bolt failure Ural put out a service bulletin on but never sent out.  Mine was used for road riding and some off road. Likely does not have 200 km of off road in the 35,000 on the clock.

Recent Topics

nonskid