Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Too hot/cold to ride?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline DalTex

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Exp
  • City / Town: Dallas
Re: Too hot/cold to ride?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:08:44 PM »
Cool is better.  Of late its been running 104 F and that's too bloody hot for me.   North Texas has no real spring or summer, so I'm usually dealing with extremes.   

Offline DalTex

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Exp
  • City / Town: Dallas
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
That's spring or FALL.  We have plenty of summer. 

Offline Daz33

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 65 plate versys 1000
  • City / Town: Pontefract Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »
I remember riding the Tex over to the coast last winter and kept checking the Temp on the Dash.  I could not believe how cozy I felt when I was when seeing 2 degrees on the Dash.  The most I saw all day was 6 degrees but I felt like it was warmer.

THEN I REALISED I HAD BEEN LOOKING AT THE BLOODY GEAR INDICATOR ALL DAY AND NOT REALISED :138: :138: :034: :034:

What A plonker :745:

Offline fiddler

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer (blue)
  • City / Town: (too) close to Paris
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
This summer I saw 35 C on the Tex thermometer.  As others have said, very unpleasant when I had to stop.  Since I ride all year round except when there's actually ice or snow on the ground, I think -7 C is the coldest I've seen.  Not bad at all in Rukka suit (no heating) and with heated bars (but not heated seat).  This winter I don't think it got below about -3, and I didn't even get around to putting the lining in my jacket!

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 06:59:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Daz33 [+]
I remember riding the Tex over to the coast last winter and kept checking the Temp on the Dash.  I could not believe how cozy I felt when I was when seeing 2 degrees on the Dash.  The most I saw all day was 6 degrees but I felt like it was warmer.

THEN I REALISED I HAD BEEN LOOKING AT THE BLOODY GEAR INDICATOR ALL DAY AND NOT REALISED :138: :138: :034: :034:

What A plonker :745:

I can see you thinking "Why the hell it's so cold everytime I stop??"   :745:

Offline fastdaddy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »
I ride all year round and commute to work on my explorer. Usually I will ride down to about -3C but it depends on whether its dry - -3 after wet condiitons equals ice , which I definitely don't do! I will need to do something about the handlebars this winter (either new heated grips or some kind of bar muff) as the triumph heated grips are useless!

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by fastdaddy [+]
I ride all year round and commute to work on my explorer. Usually I will ride down to about -3C but it depends on whether its dry - -3 after wet condiitons equals ice , which I definitely don't do! I will need to do something about the handlebars this winter (either new heated grips or some kind of bar muff) as the triumph heated grips are useless!
Sounds like my approach,

I have heated undergloves and jacket which have worked for me down to minus 6c.

I won't miss the high temps and high humidity of New Jersey, I can tell you.  :151:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Recent Topics

nonskid