Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replaced Rear Shock Spring  (Read 1901 times)

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Replaced Rear Shock Spring
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:50:38 PM »
I was going on a long ride to Canada to ride the Trans Labrador Highway and since I was going to be fully loaded on gravel roads, I felt a rear shock upgrade was needed.

My old shock had about 63,000 miles on it and also I am a 2XL Petite in size so my ride needed some help.

My solution was to find a ultra low mileage shock on Ebay and add a much heavier spring from Race Tech. The spring was selected and ordered and my shop, Florida Motorsports in Tallahassee, Florida, installed the spring on the shock.....I removed it and took it to them, they installed the spring in about 30 minutes.

The new-to-me shock (a $90 purchase on Ebay) and spring have made a world of difference in my ride quality and handling. The bike feels more planted to the road, does not bottom at all and handles much better.

I realized this is not as good as a complete custom shock replacement but for the cost at this time, it sure made a wonderful difference in my ride. Most likely, next year I will do a complete shock replacement with Hyperpro, Wilbers or ?

If you are on a tight budget, this is a reasonable solution.

Mikie

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
Re: Replaced Rear Shock Spring
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:58:54 AM »
 :0461: I installed a Racetech spring on mine. Night and day better. Have a lot more spare adjustment and feels so much better.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Offline kokbaba

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '14 Tex - "Big Blue"
  • City / Town: Milwaukee WI
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »
 :062:
Looking forward to doing the same to mine later this year.  I just had the proper rate Race Tech springs installed in my forks; it has vastly improved the low-speed stability & maneuverability of the bike!

Online adey

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: swindon
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
I have fitted the hyperpro rear spring to mine and has given me a lot more adjustment, for £84 wasn't too expensive neither  :001:

Offline Big_Mac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Brockton
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by adey [+]
I have fitted the hyperpro rear spring to mine and has given me a lot more adjustment, for £84 wasn't too expensive neither  :001:

How much effort was it to replace?
Big Mac

2013 Graphite Explorer

Online adey

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: swindon
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
Not too much effort ,you have to remove the rear shock the secret is in having a good set of spring compressors, to remove the original one isn’t too bad but the hyper pro takes more compressing to fit,

I’m no motorbike mechanic but with a decent socket set ,etc it wasn’t too bad ,the results were great especially 2 up

Offline kneedown1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer 1200 2015
  • City / Town: kent
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 06:08:32 AM »
Hi

Been thinking about doing the hyperpro rear spring or new rear shock as i've had suspension overhauled by MCT but  still find the bike very unstable at slow speeds especially two up with luggage.

When we ride 2up with luggage it always feels like we have no weight over the front wheels despite cranking the preload up to the max, and we only weigh 11st and 9st.

What were the benefits 2up? Was it slow speed stability?

I end up constantly giving small steering adjustments to keep bike straight, pain in the a**e if we have to filter

This is such an issue when we go away that am thinking of selling.... but love it other than this
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:10:18 AM by kneedown1200 »

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »
I bought a new, old stock '15 last February.
I soon discovered the OE springs were designed for "smaller folk" and needed something different like previous bikes I've owned.
RaceTech has a website that will give you advise on what is needed. The heavy springs are the way to go if your shock doesn't need rebuilding. If it does, I'd go aftermarket with a spring to match your needs. Also don't forget to match the forks. It will transform your ride.

Offline Big_Mac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Brockton
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, after 33K miles I got a fork seal leak, so I figured it would be a good time to update.  I saw the Hyperpro package and would do both front and rear. I definitely do not meet the standard of small  206cm/6'9" 310lbs/22 stone/140kg   :164:
Big Mac

2013 Graphite Explorer

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
A little update for my set up of heavy springs with stock shock/forks.
I was able to meet up with Dave Moss yesterday at a local racetrack. He's arguably one of the best suspension tuners out there and he'll work within your budget.
Before Dave made his adjustments I had a pretty harsh ride which I didn't mind at all. I have no desire to do the off road thing so I wasn't using the full stroke. With the stock set up, no matter how stiff I set the front, I had severe nose dive under hard breaking.
With the heavy Eibach springs and 5W up front, Dave balanced out the ride so now I have a more comfortable ride without the nose dive. It also doesn't wallow in the corners like with the stock set up.
I'm 6'3" 230 and my wife is about 5'3" 125lbs. All geared up we are well within max load.
Dave told me solo with full luggage or the Mrs and myself the bike can handle the weight no problem. Add full luggage with the both of us and I'll need revalving or go with an aftermarket shock built for the weight. Funny how the max payload of 489lbs is way to much for the stock set up even with the heaviest springs Eibach makes.

Recent Topics