Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Long Range Fuel Tank  (Read 19732 times)

Offline Maximus

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Expolorer
  • City / Town: Possum Kingdom Lake
Re: Long Range Fuel Tank
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:34 AM »
In theory, a lot of people might want an extended tank. 

In practice, it's too much weight, too much money, & looks like sh#t.   

Just no need for it in the 'States. 

RotoPax is a much better solution, IMO......

Offline pmckinnon

• Explorer Master
  • High Country ride
  • Bike: EXP 2012 Blue
  • City / Town: Sunbury
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »
Hi Biff any further news on the long range tank ??
also on the comment of extra weight the metal tank would weigh far heavier then the Plastic replacement and you only have to fill it to what you need Pete

Offline Biff Wellington

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: South East QLD
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
Hi Mate, I`ve done nothing, mainly due to a lack of interest. If there were 10 or more members dead keen on one, I`d approach him but with just three, I don`t think he`ll do it.

Tiger 800 owners have bough a stack of them but the 800`s sell in much higher volumes than the Explorer. IMHO, after owning a Tiger 800XC and being a member of their forum for over a year, they have a younger owner demographic so they tend to do a lot more "proper" adventure riding, than I see on here.

Just saying...
I don`t always use public toilets but when I do, I draw a penis on the wall of the cubicle.

Offline gararnett

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: The Hillbilly Nation
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
Damn. I was hoping for this. Hate the damn roto-pax solution that people seem so fond of.
IBA #16129 / AMA 626995

Yes, I was raised in a barn.

Offline MJake

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCa
  • City / Town: Harlan Iowa
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by gararnett [+]
Damn. I was hoping for this. Hate the damn roto-pax solution that people seem so fond of.

I've never needed or wanted more range.  Like I've said many times before, In the states, unless you're running the TAT or an Ironbutt you don't need more than a 225 mile range.  This was started my an Aussie...I get it if they want more range.

Personally my ass needs a break every 150 miles and I can find a gas stop to fill up and rest it at the same time anywhere I've been in the USA.  NE, SD, ND, WY, CO, OK, IA, MI, MN, AR, MO, TX, IL, WI, MT
Speed has never killed anyone.  It's becoming suddenly stationary that kills you.

Offline gararnett

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: The Hillbilly Nation
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
I clearly am the lone weirdo in the USA. First off, I've never gotten 225 as a range, heck, my low fuel light comes on between 150-160. It can go maybe 200 miles, but it's pushing it to the limit. What I want is a very easy range without pushing it at all of just over 200.

As for need, I don't NEED a 1200cc bike. No-0ne does. I don't need shaft drive, etc. what everyone else wants or thinks I need, is no where near what I want or "need". I'm ok with that. Just remember that there are those of us that ride, that do want and "need" a fuel range over 200 miles. I don't stop and get off the bike at 9pm, and I'm not foolish enough to think there will always be a 24hr gas station near.

I am very close to having this bike be very close to perfect for me. I just want more gas in the actual gas tank. As for looks - it's an adventure bike, the ugliest style of bike made on earth, as far as the rest of motorcycling goes. Who cares how the gas tank looks.
IBA #16129 / AMA 626995

Yes, I was raised in a barn.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
I generally re-fuel at about 170 miles, by which stage I want to stretch my legs. So no, not for me, although I can see it would be useful for some people. I imagine it would be more crash resistant (I've seen off-road bikes where the tank is the radiator guard). A one-piece tank would also make it faster to get on and off, though you'd probably still be stuck with a balance pipe.

Offline Shredder

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 10:37:48 PM »
The Explorer is way behind its peer group for fuel range.  I ride with  a guy on an FJR.  Consistent average between the bikes is the Explorer burns 1 liter more fuel per 300km than the FJR, and has less range at between 300 - 340km, depending how hard its ridden.

The BMW Adventure and now KTM have 30 liter + tanks.  The Explorer is being left in the dust.  Having said that the after market tank doesn't look great, unfinished, and is expensive, 3 strikes - its out for me.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 11:45:04 PM »
The bikes don't have a huge following of after market products.  I like the Roto packs and for ME i only want an extra gallon.  I see why some want allot more fuel capacity and they should not listen to a few on here who try to talk them out of it.  And BTW, there ARE areas of the USA where you will be SCREWED without a 300 mile range.  I have driven through areas of this country where the gas stations close at 5.  Or, heaven forbid, you get lost and have to backtrack. 
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline MJake

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCa
  • City / Town: Harlan Iowa
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 02:14:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
The bikes don't have a huge following of after market products.  I like the Roto packs and for ME i only want an extra gallon.  I see why some want allot more fuel capacity and they should not listen to a few on here who try to talk them out of it.  And BTW, there ARE areas of the USA where you will be SCREWED without a 300 mile range.  I have driven through areas of this country where the gas stations close at 5.  Or, heaven forbid, you get lost and have to backtrack.

So enlighten me where those vast spans of 300+ miles are in the lower 48 between gas stops so I can carry another gallon to get through them...or avoid them altogether.  Wyoming is the least populated state in the country, under 500,000 people.  I've been all over it and never needed more than 225 mile range.  If someone is only getting 150 miles on a tank they need to get something fixed or lighten up on the right wrist.   I run between 60 and 80mph most of the time and get 50-55mpg. 

This is a want thing, not a need for 99% of TEX owners.  Yes, I don't need more range and yes I don't need a 1200cc bike or shaft drive either.  This is really about wanting T to make a bike with a huge GS ADV tank, right?  So then you don't have to carry more on those .1% of stretches that you may need it.   

I hope future models give the rest of us less adventurous types an option of not carrying more than we have now. 

Speed has never killed anyone.  It's becoming suddenly stationary that kills you.

Recent Topics