Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Long Range Fuel Tank  (Read 19731 times)

Offline Shredder

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Long Range Fuel Tank
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 02:46:22 AM »
Wanting vs  needing? I'm not sure the space between them is so clear. 

Here is a very specific example.  I ride in British Columbia.  I used to be able to ride from Kamloops to my home in North Vancouver, one shot, straight through on my R1200RT.  An FJR can do it as well.  The distance is 355KM and the Explorer can't do it.  I can tell you it is a major pain in the ass to have to pull over for gas when I'm within 50KM from home, tired, and just want to get home.  The 2 bikes I ride with a lot, an RT and an FJR I'm sure feel its a PITA as well.  Its not a case of there is no gas around, more, I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO STOP THEN because of my pathetic 20L tank.

Another example, last fall, riding near Bryce Canyon Utah, after 11PM.  The GPS took me straight through the center of Bryce Canyon (yes, my fault for trusting it - it was at the tail end of a long day), no people, no power lines, no gas.  If I didn't have the range of my RT, I would have been stranded in the middle of no-where in the middle of a cold October night.  I would have been completely screwed if I was on my Explorer then.

I now carry 5L of emergency reserve gas just for instances like that, I have to because of Explorers range is so pathetic.

This bike isn't strong off road, so it spends most of its life on road.  A 20L tank does not cut it in North America. 

Its a bike I thought was supposed to compete with the R1200GS - it does not - at least on this issue.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:46:52 AM by shredder »

Offline Mortech

• Explorer Pro
  • When slowing down won't help ,POUR IT ON ! - Han S
  • Bike: 2014 Tex
  • City / Town: Shelton , WA
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 03:19:43 AM »
Yeah that is one of my biggest complaints about the Tiger too , limited range and no easy ABS/TCS off . I guess the range is OK for people who ride in mostly developed areas and on the continent / English isles . Bit around here the range sucks .
1996 Yamaha FZR600 replaces CX500
1999 Kawasaki Concour/GTR1000 - Conrad
2009 Kawasaki Concour/GTR1400 - Constanza
2006 Honda CBR600F4i - Restless
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 - Tigress

Offline MJake

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCa
  • City / Town: Harlan Iowa
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »
OK, I give, make the tank at least 10 gallons so we can outrun the the GSs and the FJs.  Small tank envy is like, well...fill in the blank.

How many here can empty a tank on the TEX without having to piss or get off for a rest?  Ironbutts need not apply, you're freaks.  Just kidding.   :038:
Start a pole someone...anyone?

Ok, how about I end this by saying that T needs to get rid of the ugly plastic pods on the wings of the tank and make them hold fuel?  It would probably increase it by at least 2 gallons.  Would that make folks happy?  Less plastic, more fuel?  Are you listening T?  I hate plastic and the long distance, ADV, savages here want more range to run with the competition and their Ironbutt buds.
 :018:
Speed has never killed anyone.  It's becoming suddenly stationary that kills you.

Offline gararnett

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: The Hillbilly Nation
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 03:57:37 AM »
I live in the mountains, and cruise every day with the cruise control set at 75 on a 4 lane divided hwy. Same gas mileage as when I run through the flatlands of Indiana and Illinois. I always get about 40 mpg. Same before the 20k service as after. I have never gotten 50 mpg. Ever. Maybe if I set the cruise on 55 or 60. But I can't ride that slow. When I go through the twistys it drops below 40 mpg.
IBA #16129 / AMA 626995

Yes, I was raised in a barn.

Offline gararnett

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: The Hillbilly Nation
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 04:04:05 AM »
As for pissing. I piss 3-4 times a day. Total. Including when I wake up in the morning. Last SS1k I did, I think I pissed at my 3rd or 4th stop.

When I did Hoagy's dawn to dusk a few months back I pissed once during the 500 mile run.
IBA #16129 / AMA 626995

Yes, I was raised in a barn.

Offline Shredder

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 04:14:02 AM »
Yeah, I piss like a camel drinks water in the desert when on big rides.  The Tex forces me into becoming a pisser - weak  :138: 

I'd be a lot happier if they made those stupid plastic fill in things either side of the tank into actual gas tank. Another thing, put on some auto shut off fittings on the tank hoses (like BMW) so it's not a major ordeal to take the damn tank off with clamps on hoses.  Just little things here make a big difference.  The Tex has some growing up to do.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 04:16:59 AM »
Good luck with it.  I think you guys are pissing into the wind.
(I agree the stupid plastic bits serve no purpose.)

Offline ausspedro

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 013 tex
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 07:30:54 AM »
To all you blokes  getting sub 400kl to a tank I think you need a tune up on your hog, As a 122 kilo butter ball Ill get 400ks plus with the cruise set on 115 kph. Yesterday after a mornings 284 kl spirited back road riding with the boys I needed only 14.3 litres of 95 octane. 

Offline MJake

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCa
  • City / Town: Harlan Iowa
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
When Jon and I made our run to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last month he got 47mpg and I got 50.  He's a bigger guy than me and has a big Madstad screen.  I have a medium Cee Bailey.  It amazes me that some say they get 150 miles to a tank here. That is just plain horrible mileage.  I've never had a T that got less than 45mpg including my Bonnie.  1050, 675, 900, 955, 1600 and the 1200.  I consider myself a normal rider...I don't ride slow but I don't ride stupid either. 

So have we made peace?  Get rid of the plastic and turn it into fuel?  Then BMW will make a 14 gallon tanker and some here will want 16...and so it goes.   :033:

Speed has never killed anyone.  It's becoming suddenly stationary that kills you.

Offline Mountain Goat

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 02:47:44 PM »
Hi Biff...agree on it being expensive.   I would really like to have the larger tank but would prefer to have Triumph have a factory tank.  I live out in Colorado and have been in the Colorado/Utah wilderness where I was crossing ridges.  When I came out of the mountains I had burned up a good portion of the tank.   There was no gas any where and I only had a few miles left to the tank.   Fortunately, I found a small gas station that had only been open for a few weeks.  I would really like to have the 3 gallon buffer here in the states.  I always fill up at about 1/2 tank or when I am about to hit a long stretch of highway here in the west.

Recent Topics

nonskid