Author Topic: Tapatalk Users - please note  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Explorer Pro
Re: Tapatalk Users - please note
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 08:32:52 PM
Thanks, appreciate the offer  :028:

It's actually been up and running now for a few weeks and seems to be running ok so far  :821:

Offline easen

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Peterlee, Durham
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 08:40:28 PM
Oh ok. I guess I'm missing a trick then as I can't find the forum in the app. I can see forum posts from this site when I search for triumph tiger explorer but they aren't loading up. Any ideas?

I'm using an iPhone and the free version of Tapatalk.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Explorer Pro
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 10:38:01 PM
Think you've misunderstood the topic  :001:  we've actually dumped Tapatalk now. The site has been removed from Tapatalk so in theory nothing should appear in the app.

We now have our own mobile version installed. It's not an app, just a mobile version of the website. If you go to the site using a mobile device and use a normal browser then it should load up  :038:

Offline easen

• Explorer Member
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 11:45:43 PM
That'll be why I couldn't find it! :)

I kinda of like using Tapatalk for reading forums, as the push notifications are useful. What was reason for dropping it?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Explorer Pro
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 11:06:18 AM
Hmmm.... where do I start.... loads of things...

1) They initially used forum code within their app which broke the terms of the forum software licencing in force at the time. In a word they stole forum code to make the app. That's since changed as the code now has different BSD licencing which allows them to do it. However it really grates me that they started the whole thing by nicking someone elses code without permission.

2) Constant updates for forum owners to fix issues. Featues dropped and added all the time - very irritating.

3) Insecure code forum side that potentially introduces vulnerabilities into the forum. We've plugged a few holes but they would still exist if we using the app.

4) From Nov new terms for forum owners who now have to pay for certain basic features which were once free. New terms and conditions for forum owners are not exactly great.

5) Forum owners have no control over type of advertising within app (only on or off). For example you can't hide ads for gambling/loans or particular advertisers if you wanted to. The advertising does pay a proportion to forum owners but the return is (literally) pennies.

6) Inability to display bespoke forum features like Smileys or additional profile fields.

7) No polls.

8) No Gallery

9) Members foum permissions are not fully carried over into app.

10) Members email addresses can be viewed via app (as a backdoor). Not publicly viewable in forum.

11) Forum registration not carried over into app.

12) Long delays for push notifications

13) Loads of fake Tapatalk apps around (Windows Phone app store) and others. God knows what they could do...

14) App uses member's username and not "displayed name" if they have one.

Well thats a few things off my head, I'm sure there's more !

I can see why users like the app but from the other side of the fence it's a pain in the 4%$&!    :008:

Offline easen

• Explorer Member
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 12:03:55 PM
Well I never expected a list that long :005:

I can understand the lack of forum features, etc. However there is no excuse for violating software licenses and for using insecure code. Sounds like they are a bunch of cowboys  :151:

nonskid