Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NTL/Virgin Media/Blueyonder/Tesco.net Email users - please read !  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
If your profile email address is with any of the following then this affects you:

NTL
Virgin Media
Blueyonder
Tesco.net

We've noticed that the above are currently treating our forum notification emails as spam. Some are not being delivered at all and some are going into your spam folder.

Essentially we (or you really) are affected by this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/05/virgin_media_spam_fix_silences_mailboxes/

...which happened as a result of this:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/06/virgin-media-uk-preps-google-email-migration-to-own-brand-platform.html

What you can do.

1. Complain to NTL/Virgin Media because this does not just affect your forum emails, you are almost certainly losing other emails as well. A huge number of people of not getting really important emails (read article above). Those important emails don't even hit your spam folder as they get stoped by their (dumb) new filtering system.

2. If you see our emails in your spam could you move them to the normal inbox or mark them as "not spam". That way their system will "learn" and not interpret them as spam.

The more people who do this the better. If you do this on your email account then it will also help other members who are with NTL/Virginmedia.

Note: Should you also wish to amend your notification email settings then this can be done in your forum profile area.

Some feedback on this would be appreciated as it would be good to know if they really do go into peoples "spam" folder.

Cheers  :821:

Foot note: Tesco.net is run by VirginMedia on behalf of Tesco so they are affected as well.

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Pro
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
Re: NTL/Virgin Media/Blueyonder/Tesco.net Email users - please read !
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »
I have complained to Virgin, tbh they just don't seem to get it, but I think I may have a solution.

The problem is that emails from the forum are being tagged a spam and immediately rejected. I can't tell the spam machine to allow them through as I can't see them - catch 22.

I've only just realised that default spam setting is 'reject all spam', so it simply disappears as it's bounced back to the sender.

I've just gone in and changed my settings to 'place spam in spam folder', so at least now I should be able to see them and tell the machine that it's not spam.....

So if the kind Admin chaps can unblock my notifications we can give it a go.

I hope I've not lost anything important in the mean time.

Thanks

Offline Tiger Explorer

• Forum Help & Support
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
I've only just realised that default spam setting is 'reject all spam', so it simply disappears as it's bounced back to the sender.

Ah... I see, sounds good in theory but you probably don't know if you're loosing mails or not.

So if the kind Admin chaps can unblock my notifications we can give it a go.

I've done that for you now  :028:

:821:

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
Thanks TE, so far so good, I can at least see my spam now, BUT there is no white list or any other option to tell the machine to not treat emails as spam. The only option is to move the spam to inbox, maybe that's enough for the machine to wise up  :027:

Time will tell........

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »
Many thanks for doing that, appreciated  :028:

As far as I understand it, moving those messages out of the spam folder and into the inbox is the way to go. Like you say after a while the system learns from it.

Another trick is possibly to add the senders email address to your contacts list ( our address is do_not_reply  at  tiger-explorer.com).

However after having a read of the posts on the Virgin Media community forum I suspect there's a little more to it than that as VM seems to have some inherant setup issue with their emails servers/spam filters.

Anyway lets see how you get on, the feedback is very much welcomed.

If anyone else using Virgin Media/NTLWorld can try this as well then it would be appreciated.  Cheers  :821:

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »
Just realised that forum notifications are still going to spam, but also realised that there is a settings icon that appears when an email is selected, clicking on that will give you the option of 'not spam' which appears to be working, happy days  :046:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
Ah..... a result, good one  :028:

Offline John_Lickman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Harlow
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
FWIW, I get my NTLWorld emails sent, unadulterated, to my Microsoft Outlook client on my PC.  I have been doing this for years (which is why I have an NTLWorld account and not a Virgin Media account).  I rarely post in this forum these days, so perhaps if someone could reply to this post, I can confirm whether notifications are getting through.
OEM Accessories:  Alarm, Engine Bars, Fog lights, Hand Guards, Headlight Protector, Heated Grips & seat, High screen., Radiator Guard, Top Box & Panniers
Other modifications:  Fender Extender & Hugger, Touratech lockable GPS mount and Garmin Zumo 390LM, Batzen screen adjuster & still working...
Future Projects:  FIAMM AM80s horns?

Offline Tiger Explorer

• Forum Help & Support
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
Here ya go, here's a test reply  :028:

Lets see if it reaches you.

Recent Topics

nonskid