Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Underseat space for U Lock  (Read 7110 times)

Offline JH

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Sevenoaks
Underseat space for U Lock
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »

Guys,

I am aware that the bike has a storage facility for carrying a U lock under the seat. I am also aware that Triumph list such a lock as an accessory, but -

1) I am unsure who this is actually made by? 2) I already have a selection of Abus Granite locks for my bikes.  :087:

So before I buy anything, else can anyone tell me the size of lock that can be accommodated in the bespoke space under the so I will know if anything I currently have will be suitable. If not I will have to buy another, and if that is the case who makes the official Triumph one.

I always carry one where the bike has a built in storage space and found it a useful thing when touring, where you want to certain that your bike is locked up safely whilst on your travels. The GS had a space for one - I wonder if that will fit, or would that be too much luck  :001:

Offline Badboybez

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Underseat space for U Lock
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
I started a similar thread last week:- https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,1177.0.html

And I did do a bit of research and found out the maker, but as usual can't find the link I found.

Today I'm going to try J&S and Heine Geriche (sp) to see if they have anything similar that will fit. I would normally carry my chain with me but alas no panniers (which is another story)  :084:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:45:13 AM by Badboybez »
In Madness You Dwell

IBA Number:- 53026

Offline Badboybez

• Explorer Master
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »
OK found the manufacturer:-

Artago Motorcycle U Locks

Artago Motorcycle U Locks, or D Locks as they are often referred to as, are light, secure and easy to use. The Artago Range of U-Locks is one of the most adaptable to fit under Motorcycle seats or by using one of the universal fitting Brackets. Artago Security have the solution; not only the security but also how to carry it. Artago U Locks are manufactured in Valencia, use the latest manufacturing and machining processes to ensure peace of mind and the greatest of inconvenience to thieves.

And if I'd looked at the official picture more closely D'OH  :138:

Not cheaper on the Branded Biker site. http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/Shop/Products/Motorcycle-Security/Artago-Motorcycle-Security-Solutions/Artago-Motorcycle-U-Locks

Cheaper here but don't know if you'd get hit with Customs charges.
http://www.silverstonemotor.com/artago-security-u-16art320-sra,us,4,ARTAGO-ANTIVOL-RT320.cfm

The above shop do have an Ebay page:- http://cgi.ebay.fr/ARTAGO-antivol-U-moto-scooter-quad-Hom-RT320-SRA-FFMC-/400212908396?pt=FR_JG_Moto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item5d2e8c596c
So if I can't find anything today I will take a punt.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:51:05 AM by Badboybez »
In Madness You Dwell

Offline JH

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

'And if I'd looked at the official picture more closely' D'OH  :138:

Badboybez,

You did well, I couldn't even find that photo....... Oh well of to the garage with the tape measure  :164: The Triumph one looks to be an Approved device as well, but not cheap at all.  :005:

Thanks guys.......

Offline Badboybez

• Explorer Master
Underseat space for U Lock
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
The non branded Artago is also sold as 'Gold Secure' and comes with the cert for your insurance company.
Been to J&S with no success - they had the smaller version for £149.99!!!!!

I'm also  thinking now that if I get the u lock it's going to take up practically all the space underneath the seat so trying  to fit my Starcom unit could be an issue.
In Madness You Dwell

Offline JH

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »
Result..................

Got home and tried one of my Abus Granit 56HB locks, and it is a straight fit in the space under the seat.

I am pleased as this is one of the old Abus locks, weighs a ton cost a fortune and is really HD, compared to the one that fitted under the seat of the GS. That has been sold already so doubly happy....... :152:

:008:

Offline Badboybez

• Explorer Master
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »
In Madness You Dwell

Offline EggRider

• Explorer Master
  • (ex R1200GS)
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hants/Surrey borders
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by JH [+]
Result..................

Got home and tried one of my Abus Granit 56HB locks, and it is a straight fit in the space under the seat.

I am pleased as this is one of the old Abus locks, weighs a ton cost a fortune and is really HD, compared to the one that fitted under the seat of the GS. That has been sold already so doubly happy....... :152:

:008:

Does that mean the one that fits under the GS seat won't fit the Triumph or both of your locks fitted so no point in keeping the GS one?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:31:38 AM by EggRider »

Offline JH

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »

Yep - The GS lock would  not fit under the Triumph.......... :110:

But one of the other two Abus locks I already had, did......  :152:

I am about to make up my tool kit for the bike using the Kreiga tool roll as there is still underseat space even with the lock in situ.....

I wish it would stop p%$$%*g down though..............

Offline Fret

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: South
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
Damn, tried my U-lock yesterday. Doesn't fit the slots either, but at least there is room for it, spare lamps, Puncture kit and waterproof overtroosas.

Recent Topics