Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Tool Help  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Tiger Tool Help
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:53:47 AM »
Gents, firstly, Merry Xmas to you all. I hope someone can help me with an issue I cant seem to find an answer for. I have everything installed and connected as it should be with TT but get the message "Lost contact with OBD Interface". It finds and initialises, but then reads that msg. Any help greatly appreciated.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Re: Tiger Tool Help
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
Can you provide more details of the sequence of events & messages?

At the bottom of the screen it will display progress messages as it connects with the OBD interface and ECU. These messages may help to figure out what's going on.

Also, can you post details of the exact model of OBD interface you're using? The most common cause of connection problems is with poor quality interfaces or those with the wrong version firmware. There are a few basic commands that these interfaces must all follow but due to the huge number of cheap clones out there you do find some that don't even support these basic commands.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
T800, thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated. I have attached some images that hopefully will assist.

The sequence of events

Port identified and selected (Com 4)
Com4 Open
Hit connect
Looking for OBD interface
OBD inreface found
Initialising OBD interface
Lost contact with OBD interface

I have tried with both ignition in the on position and engine running. You will note the sequence of events of the ELM in the attached picture also. Additionally, and I dont know if this is an issue, the Tiger Tools window will only stay in its small size position and cannot be opened as a full page.

Again, any help would be very much appreciated

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
Pics

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. Firstly, the window size is correct & never changes, i.e. it won't go to full screen (it doesn't need to).

Now from the images & description I suspect that your ELM327 (OBD) interface isn't initialising properly. I'll try to build a special debug version of TT later and post you a link. That will narrow down where it's failing.

In the meantime, can you say roughly how long it takes from seeing the 'Initialising...' message to then seeing the 'Lost contact...' message? That will help further. I suspect that your interface is behaving the same as one or two others that I've seeen that don't support even the most basic of ELM327 commands, in particular the 'AT D' command.

If you have HyperTerminal or any other similar Terminal comms application on your PC, you can try this for yourself. If you set the port to match where the PC sees your interface (Com4 in your images) and set the baud rate to 38400 you can send the following commands...

AT Z
This one resets the ELM327 interface and should then report back the version number (this command is working because TT sees your interface).

AT D
This should set the interface to its default state and I have a hunch that this is the command that's failing. The reply from the interface should be OK. If your device replies anyhting other then it will not work with TigerTool.

As noted on page 1 of the TT instructions, the market is awash with clone ELM327 interfaces using copied and/or modified firmware. Sadly some of these do not comply with some of the basic ELM commands, in particular the 'AT D' command.

Anyway, give the above a try & report back what you can.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 01:02:50 AM »
T800, thanks for the detailed reply. In short, the time from trying to connect to the "lost contact" msg would be seconds, perhaps 5 at most. The ELM 327 I bought was as pictured on the " How to use TT V2" thread, however, if you feel this is the issue, I can purchase another.

After that you lose me a little Im afraid! Im a mech engineer so be patient ok! LOL I have no idea what a hyperterminal is. I could probably work thru it but it will take time and a little more simplification than you are probably used to.

Thanks mate for taking the time to help.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
I'll post a debug version of TigerTool or something similar that should identify exactly where things are going wrong.

Hopefully I'll get that sorted later today.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »
Thanks mate

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 02:46:07 AM »
T800, please see 2 x pics attached. The 1st pic results in the same error message and you will note the ELM327 r5esults in the background also. In this regard I am unsure if the ELM327 module must be connected also or whether the TT programme reads "thru" it. Again, my apologies on lack of IT skills. The 2nd pic shows what happens if I try to connect twice in a row. I.E, I receive the Lost Contact msg, then immediately try again.

FYI, I have tried all 4 USB ports, engine running and just ignition on.

Thank you again for your help mate.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
Thanks for the info. It's definitely an interface problem and one that I've seen before from one member over at the Tiger800 forum.

The interface may claim to be an ELM327 but the dodgy firmware it has inside clearly doesn't support some of the most basic ELM commands, in this case the 'AT D' command. The genuine chips are only available from ELM Electronics in Canada but virtually all of the interfaces that are available to buy cheaply online use chips that contain modified versions of cloned early ELM firmware.

Sadly the cost of the interfaces doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the firmware inside. I have both genuine & cloned versions, with the cheapest costing less than £5, and even that one works surprisingly well.

I can only suggest that you buy another interface from a different supplier and keep your fingers crossed! As as I said, this is only the second time I've seen this particular issue, so hopefully the chances of you get stung twice are limited.

Recent Topics