Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bumot Panniers now available for the Explorer  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Ogri (Trainee)

• Explorer Pro
  • life starts when my daughter finishes University!
  • Bike: Grey Explorer
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Re: Bumot Panniers now available for the Explorer
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
A Question  :001:

With these panniers do they make the rear of the bike wider than the standard plastic originals/bars?

I have used the standard ones for work and play and I love to filter through traffic! These panniers look good but I wouldn't want them removing car mirrors, It upsets car drivers apparently  :027:

Grey Explorer, hand guards, heated grips, fogs, touring screen, heated seat, OEM Panniers and a Garmin Satnav with curvy roads what else do you need?

Offline DonVulpes

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tex, TTR
  • City / Town: Fleckney, Leics
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2016, 09:40:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by OneWay [+]
Nah mate, get out there and get some more!  :305:

A plan I'm already formulating, just in case  :016:

Offline OneWay

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: TEX, 800XC, GSA, K16
  • City / Town: London / Cape Town
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ogri (Trainee) [+]
With these panniers do they make the rear of the bike wider than the standard plastic originals/bars?
The larger capacity ones I have are about 20mm wider than the handlebars on each side - less than an inch so not that significant in my book. When filtering on my TEX vs my Cafe Racer there are often occasions where the Cafe Racer will fit, but not the TEX (panniers or not). I'm not sure the extra inch would make such a huge difference in when you can and can't get through.

If the question is a make or break one for you, then you can go for the smaller capacity ones which I have no doubt will be narrower than the handlebars. I haven't looked up their size comparisons on the Bumot website, but the larger panniers are 985mm wide fitted to the bike.

Edit - according to Bumot website, the smaller capacity panniers should be 120mm narrower, so 865mm total width.

HTH. Say Hi to Bowser  :821:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:54:24 AM by OneWay »
You don't live only once, you die only once.
You live every day.

Offline Steev68

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Wrexham
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
Bumot. Panniers. Fitted!! :046: My first thoughts are that they look great, very happy with them and they really suit the bike.
I chose the larger top box, which is bigger than the one in the pictures put up by OneWay, and it does make the rear of the bike look very high, I might just run a clear plastic sheet from it to the screen and have a rain cover!  :008: If it works they will be offered for sale!!  :745:

I agree with OneWay's review in that the locking mechanism is very stiff, I actually think it is more to do with the plastic fixings that attach to the pannier rail, it will loosen up with use I'm sure, if it doesn't then it just means I'm not using them enough!! The whole idea of this mechanism is that the panniers are so easy to clip on and off the bike unlike the Touratech type that you have to empty half the contents before undoing the wheel to release them. There is no real comparison to the OEM panniers apart from the fact they carry touring stuff, the Bumots do carry a lot more stuff though.  :002:

One more thing on the locking mechanism, they are a bit close to the passenger hand rails and if you have big hands, like me, it is a bit fidgety, add to that the lock stiffness and there will be a few scraped knuckles for a while.

But, I absolutely love these panniers, I've waited since November for them and I'm glad I didn't just go for something else instead. I highly recommend them, start saving and get some!

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »
Do these fit on a 2016 Explorer (V201)?

Recent Topics

nonskid