Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting OEM lower engine bars  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Markp672

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: VA
Re: Fitting OEM lower engine bars
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timmybob [+]
Thanks for your comments, guys!  I appreciate your real world experience.  I think I'm going to install these bars myself later on this year and not worry about the frame gap adjusters.  I watched one video on the TRex engine bar installation (same 3 bolt attachments) and there was no mention of any of that.  I always try to be very careful when working on my bikes and follow instructions to the T, so all this stuff caught me off guard.

I have the same dilemma right now as you did. Did you ever put the lower bars on? I put the SWMOTECH upper bars on with no problem, but the directions on the lower ones are still giving me pause.

Mark

Offline Timmybob

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Wichita, KS
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »
Mark, I decided to take it to my Triumph dealer since they were the experts.  Well, when I quizzed the mechanic who installed them, he said he couldn’t understand the need for all that fuss that the Triumph instructions called for.  He just installed them, took a hour, and they have been fine ever since.  I could have done that.  :-/

Offline Markp672

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: VA
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 02:41:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timmybob [+]
Mark, I decided to take it to my Triumph dealer since they were the experts.  Well, when I quizzed the mechanic who installed them, he said he couldn’t understand the need for all that fuss that the Triumph instructions called for.  He just installed them, took a hour, and they have been fine ever since.  I could have done that.  :-/

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to jump in and slap those puppies on this weekend.  :821:

Offline markustyson

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Victori, BC
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 05:43:49 AM »
I did the same. Installed them on my new XRT and didn’t fuss with the alignment procedures. Everything worked out great. No issues after 4K kms. :)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »
Some owners have had vibration issues at certain rpm attributed to incorrectly installed lower engine bars.  This might explain Triumph's 'extensive' installation instructions & special tools & also dealer labour prices.  But even using the recommended procedure doesn't guarantee a perfect result - my Gen 2 XRT with factory fitted e/bars has slight vibes at some rpm that my Gen 1 without e/bars never had. But having dropped my Gen 1 a couple of times I'd rather live with a little bit of vibes than not have the e/bars. All considered if I didn't have them fitted as OEM I'd be happy to install them myself without the special tools but I would follow the instructions & torque bolts as accurately as my torque wrench allows.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:01:38 AM by Will Morgan »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Some owners have had vibration issues at certain rpm attributed to incorrectly installed lower engine bars.  This might explain Triumph's 'extensive' installation instructions & special tools & also dealer labour prices.  But even using the recommended procedure doesn't guarantee a perfect result - my Gen 2 XRT with factory fitted e/bars has slight vibes at some rpm that my Gen 1 without e/bars never had. But having dropped my Gen 1 a couple of times I'd rather live with a little bit of vibes than not have the e/bars. All considered if I didn't have them fitted as OEM I'd be happy to install them myself without the special tools but I would follow the instructions & torque bolts as accurately as my torque wrench allows.
Some have found that loosening and retorquing all of the engine mount bolts help with vibrations. You can do that at the same time that you install the engine bars. Tip: Make sure that you support the engine from below when you do this.

Also, the valve timing adjustment at 20k miles significantly reduced engine vibrations in general for me. The engine bars can act as a tuning fork, amplifying the vibrations at certain RPMs.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid