Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flat tire  (Read 8903 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Flat tire
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I finally managed to get some useable readings from my (aftermarket Chinese cheap) TPMS:
- Taking off in the morning. Front: 2.4 bar (temp 2°C). Rear: 2.0 bar (temp 2°C)
- Landing at work after 50 km of realtively constant speed. Front: 2.6 bar (temp 5°C). Rear: 3.2 bar (temp 10°C)

Do I have water inside my tires?
(c;

PS: the ambient temperature as shown by the TPMS was consistent with the one of the dashboard. And the altitude from start to finish was roughly the same (within 50m).
No, just a problem typing, rear from 2.0 bar to 3.2 bar!  :005: :005: :005:

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2019, 01:03:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
An "argument of authority" doesn't work either!

That's... not what an argument from authority is. An example would be "Aristotle says that rise in pressure in heated tyres is from water vapour." What I gave you was an argument based on physics, for which you can check the figures yourself. I also pointed out repeatedly that the low water content of nitrogen is why it is used in race bike tyres, which you can check for yourself.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2019, 09:02:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
No, just a problem typing, rear from 2.0 bar to 3.2 bar!  :005: :005: :005:
Damn!
The correct value is 2.9 bar cold rear.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
That's... not what an argument from authority is. An example would be "Aristotle says that rise in pressure in heated tyres is from water vapour." What I gave you was an argument based on physics, for which you can check the figures yourself. I also pointed out repeatedly that the low water content of nitrogen is why it is used in race bike tyres, which you can check for yourself.
Sorry, I'm just a poor Froggy trying to make you believe that I can actually speak English ;-)

What I had in mind was probably something more like 'argument of assertion', you know like 'I say it is true so it is'.
Your physics look right, but I don't see any direct proof that water is the cause of unexpected figures.

As for racing bikes, now this argument is more like of authority: 'Racing teams do it so it must be based on something true'.
Sorry, but this could serve as a clue at best, not a proof.

I had more than one debate about proof with my colleagues when I was a researcher. They ultimately deemed me 'stubborn radical science unbeliever' or something like that ;-)

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
This thread is going around in circles to no avail.  Something like "the low water content of nitrogen is why it is used in race bike tyres" is pretty meaningless on its own.
Dry air would be low in water content too, and probably cheaper than nitrogen.  So moisture content alone doesn't seem a good reason to use nitrogen.
Now what was the topic again?  I think it got lost somewhere.  (And I confess to being as bad or worse than most at steering threads off topic.)

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
Moisture content in the air is directly related to the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow. European swallows and African swallows are different though, so the coconut carrying capacity could differ. Plus if the coconut absorbed the moisture from the air it would become possibly necessary for 2 swallows to share the load between them. Then again, if the air was extremely dry, and 2 swallows were carrying the coconut, the coconut husk may actually ignite, causing and in flight disaster, or a coconut bomb...

What are we talking about again?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deep6blue [+]
Moisture content in the air is directly related to the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow. European swallows and African swallows are different though, so the coconut carrying capacity could differ. Plus if the coconut absorbed the moisture from the air it would become possibly necessary for 2 swallows to share the load between them. Then again, if the air was extremely dry, and 2 swallows were carrying the coconut, the coconut husk may actually ignite, causing and in flight disaster, or a coconut bomb...

What are we talking about again?

I can't believe you didn't factor in the husk drag coefficient? Some people, just part explanations……!  :033:

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
I have no clue what this thread is about. It turned into my YouTube recommendations list  :745:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
i think it is about having tires at both ends of the motorcycle, which are inflated with some type of gaseous substance. Not really sure now.:745:

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »
Must admit, I'm finding the whole thread a bit hard to swallow.  Nuts, I say.

Recent Topics

nonskid