Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flat tire  (Read 5458 times)

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
Re: Flat tire
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 03:58:08 AM »
 :0461:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
I've used Ride On tire sealant on my last couple of bikes. A benefit is constant balancing the tire as it wears.
Haven't changed a tire yet so my praise may change.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I've used Ride On tire sealant on my last couple of bikes. A benefit is constant balancing the tire as it wears.
Haven't changed a tire yet so my praise may change.

It may works in some bikes but note that its  not an option for a bike with TPMS sensors

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
It may works in some bikes but note that its  not an option for a bike with TPMS sensors

Good point. Haven't had a TPMS bike yet.
That would be an executive decision. Take advantage of TPMS or have puncture resistance. Soon we probably won't have a choice. Most new large bikes come with it already, unless I'm mistaken.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »
Good point. Haven't had a TPMS bike yet.
That would be an executive decision. Take advantage of TPMS or have puncture resistance. Soon we probably won't have a choice. Most new large bikes come with it already, unless I'm mistaken.

This is a conundrum I've been weighing up for a while!
When the batteries in my TPMS die do I replace them, or remove them and use ordinary valves and sealant?
The most likely solution I've come up with so far is to try to open the TPMS units & fit new batteries myself (rather than buy expensive new units as Triumph expect), and if that doesn't work then go for ordinary valves & sealant.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 12:38:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
This is a conundrum I've been weighing up for a while!
When the batteries in my TPMS die do I replace them, or remove them and use ordinary valves and sealant?
The most likely solution I've come up with so far is to try to open the TPMS units & fit new batteries myself (rather than buy expensive new units as Triumph expect), and if that doesn't work then go for ordinary valves & sealant.

This is what I have on  2 of my bikes.....its the best $50 bucks I ever spent on a motorcycle.... they are accurate and easy to install and read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KKYDRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My TEX came without TPMS and when I priced what it would cost to install them, I about choked... I've had 1 of these on my Kawasaki for about a year with no issues so I Just grabbed another one and put it on the TEX....its one of those things you live just fine without...until you have it...then you cant do without it... :001:

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
If RideOn is to be believed, this is not a true statement. They claim their product will work with most TPMS. My TEx doesn’t have them so I can’t attest to it either way. However, RideOn works great in my tires and I’m a loyal user now.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
If RideOn is to be believed, this is not a true statement. They claim their product will work with most TPMS. My TEx doesn’t have them so I can’t attest to it either way. However, RideOn works great in my tires and I’m a loyal user now.

They do say most, but that is  misleading..it will only work with sealed sensors, which are the vast minority of sensors today.

They also promote warranty fraud right on their website which to me as someone who works for a OEM vehicle manufacturer , rubs me the wrong way.

However, should a TPMS sensor fail, as they do from time to time, we recommend that you take your motorcycle to a Ride-On dealer for servicing. Ride-On washes out easily and leaves no residues. When requesting a warranty claim on your sensors, there is no need to volunteer that there was ever any substance in your tires.

EDIT: Just too add, they refer to 2009-2012 Honda Goldwings as "late model bikes" , that should give you an idea of just  how outdated their information is

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:11:31 PM by Crosshairs »

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
In regards to the hermetically sealed sensors thing.
You would be surprised how much moisture ends up in the compressed air tanks we use to fill our tires. This is a selling point for nitrogen filled tires.
We have air dryers set up in line before our paint guns. The dryers are there for a reason.
If sensors can handle being exposed to water inside a tire, they can certainly handle a thick liquid that actually has rust inhibitors.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »
In regards to the hermetically sealed sensors thing.
You would be surprised how much moisture ends up in the compressed air tanks we use to fill our tires. This is a selling point for nitrogen filled tires.
We have air dryers set up in line before our paint guns. The dryers are there for a reason.
If sensors can handle being exposed to water inside a tire, they can certainly handle a thick liquid that actually has rust inhibitors.

Sensors cannot handle being exposed to water....and they can not handle being exposed to thick liquids....unless specifically designed for that environment, (Hydro-flated tires) they  will fail every time.

and yes, there is moisture in air, but when was the last time you broke down a tire and actually saw water inside.....

you guys are free to do whatever you like, but I make my living working on vehicles and deal with this stuff daily....and Im telling you, wet sensors will fail...100% of the time. 

Recent Topics

nonskid