Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Drive shaft disasembly and inspection  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Steve Tex

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Erskine
Re: Drive shaft disasembly and inspection
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 04:54:05 PM »
Many thx Barryworth, job was easier than I thought though seems a bit strange that the right hand pin is only to 48Nm and lockring is 100Nm, considering LH pin is 100Nm although noted the RH is a larger diameter . Almost impossible to get sufficient purchase on the lock ring teeth to get that high value but job done as best I can. Now onto next job to upgrade the rear shock spring! Cheers Steve.

Offline Barryworth

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: White Explorer
  • City / Town: Coventry
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
I think that this is so there is the correct load on the bearings. If it were torqued up high it would be too much and the bearings would fail. One side is torqued high and the other sets the correct load. The lock ring is needed to stop them coming undone.
Upgrading the suspension is my next job also, so I hope you will let us know which route you are going to take.

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
I think that this is so there is the correct load on the bearings. If it were torqued up high it would be too much and the bearings would fail. One side is torqued high and the other sets the correct load. The lock ring is needed to stop them coming undone.
   :028:

If you want to discuss suspension, I'm happy to talk about the options.

https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/shock-absorbers

mark@marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk

Offline Steve Tex

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Erskine
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Thx guys, I invested in a MCT refurb of the suspension a couple of years ago so just going for spring upgrades at mo. Already installed stiffer racetech linear springs up front to resolve nose dive and bottoming out offroad.  However front sits up higher now even with min preload and max on rear. Hence now upgrading the rear with hyperpro progressive spring though not my first choice but couldn't source a racetech rear at the time.

Recent Topics