Author Topic: Drive shaft disasembly and inspection  (Read 13351 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Drive shaft disasembly and inspection
Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 02:44:17 PM
PM'd you first thing Robin. I'm wondering about hardening the teeth on mine.  I can oil quench it at work. Might be unnecessary, but just wondering how yours faired in use. Did it get chavelled up at all? Kinda depends on the steel. Not all steels can be heat treated of course. And there's always the chance I might be overthinking it.

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 06:31:44 PM
I did consider hardening and they could possibly be hardened but as they are steel they are already harder then the aluminium seal holder which your undoing.

I’ve made them a tight fit which is why it needs a bit of hand fettling with a file to fit snugly in the seal holder and have less of a chance of slipping out.

My take is that if your unlucky enough to have this seal fail and use the tool once to do the repair. How likely are you going to need it in the future. Most owners will eventually sell their bike on. Hopefully they resell the tool so someone else gets to repair their bike.
Older than the internet.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
Reply #42 on: July 21, 2020, 06:55:37 PM
Ahh it's ally. Very good point Robin. I shall leave well alone. Yes it's really a once in a bike-time tool isn't it. If at all.

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2020, 04:41:53 PM
For those who have bought a tool from me and for general reference.

The tool might be a tight fit and you may need to tap it down into place. The tool is nominally 6mm thick and the slots in the seal carrier are nominally 5mm deep so it will stand proud when it fully in place. See photo

I suggest fitting the tool before you heat up the seal carrier. It will give some heat protection to the oil seal as you apply a heat torch to soften the thread lock. The seal could catch fire fire so make sure you clean any residual oil or grease from the diff housing. Also keep the flame moving around the seal holder or you may end up damaging the powder coat on the outside of the diff if you keep it in one place too long.

Older than the internet.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2020, 06:58:08 PM
Thanks you Robin it was waiting for me when I got home this evening. Beautifully packaged. Hope I won't ever need it but it's there on the shelf if I do.

Offline jures

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger XCA1200
  • City / Town: MEDVODE
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 03:11:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Robin [+]
For those who have bought a tool from me and for general reference.

The tool might be a tight fit and you may need to tap it down into place. The tool is nominally 6mm thick and the slots in the seal carrier are nominally 5mm deep so it will stand proud when it fully in place. See photo

I suggest fitting the tool before you heat up the seal carrier. It will give some heat protection to the oil seal as you apply a heat torch to soften the thread lock. The seal could catch fire fire so make sure you clean any residual oil or grease from the diff housing. Also keep the flame moving around the seal holder or you may end up damaging the powder coat on the outside of the diff if you keep it in one place too long.

Thanks still waiting mine, should be by Friday

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #46 on: August 10, 2020, 10:09:01 PM
It appears that not everyone can see the original photos that accompanied my original post. Presumable because they were attachments rather then BB links so for those who would like to see the photos. I've added a better description so that they make more sense with out reading the text.

Differential removal 1 - Remove the footrest hanger

Differential Removal 2 - Large Hex nut required for pivot pin removal. Loosen the lock nut and pivot pin on the other side first

Differential Removal 3 - Loosen the Jubilee clips holding the forward boot

Differential Removal 4 - Remove the diff tie bar an rear brake caliper

Differential Removal 5 - Pivot pin removal

Differential Removal 6 - Rear pivot pin with locking ring

Differential Removal 7 - Support the prop shaft housing. When it come out, it comes off the snap ring and comes out quickly and its heavy

Differential Removal 8 - View of the output shaft splines

Differential Removal 9 - View looking inside the prop shaft casing looking at the out put shaft

Differential Removal 10 - Prop shaft, differential end

Differential Removal 11 - View inside the diff case showing the large oil seal carrier

Differential Removal 12 - View of one of the sockets inside the diff which house the tapered roller bearing that the pivot pins are supported by
Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:19:34 PM by Robin
Older than the internet.

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #47 on: August 10, 2020, 10:30:45 PM
For those who can't see the original post photos. The next stage in developing the tool to remove the oil seal holder.

A better view inside the diff and the oil seal carrier with the castellated fastening

Prototype diff stand made from 25mm thick MDF off cuts and some metal fastnings

Card board template made to replicate the metal sprocket tool
Older than the internet.

Offline jures

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger XCA1200
  • City / Town: MEDVODE
Reply #48 on: August 11, 2020, 12:23:36 PM
Hi received! Many thanks!