Author Topic: Drive shaft disasembly and inspection  (Read 25375 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Christchurch
Re: Drive shaft disasembly and inspection
Reply #50 on: August 17, 2020, 07:26:12 AM
Thank you Robin for the update.
I have a question, I have replaced my front bevel box gasket and its still leaking (weeping after 1200 km round trip ) around the bottom fixings 25nm as per spec.
I cleaned all the mating surfaces, no nicks or scratches, and new gasket.
Would I be best to use a sealing product with the gasket next time?.
Cheers for any input.

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 09:07:59 PM
Sounds like the cover may be distorted. Try cleaning both surfaces and then applying a smear of something to one side that will Transfer to the other when you push both surfaces together.

If you can’t find a reason for the gasket failure a smear of gasket sealant to both sides of the gasket may be the way to go.
Older than the internet.

Offline cpbravo

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 TEX 1200
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #52 on: November 19, 2021, 12:15:21 AM
From the looks of the "Differential Removal 9 - View looking inside the prop shaft casing looking at the out put shaft" photo it is hard to see but can water get in through a torn forward oval boot and into the prop shaft housing area
 ?
Thanks

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #53 on: November 19, 2021, 04:59:29 PM
Hi Cpbravo

Yes water can get into the drive shaft tunnel and boot. There is a small round air vent on the to of the swing arm and a similar one near to the diff through which water could get inside the drive shaft tunnel.

You will see that there is a small rubber tab on the bottom of the boot. As I understand it, it’s there for the owner to occasionally pull down and drain out any water that has collected in the diff/boot. Especially recommended to those who like to take their machine for a dip though deeper water.
Older than the internet.

Offline Johnnieblack

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xcx 2019
  • City / Town: Gr
Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 10:12:32 AM
ive done this work twice, changed gasket and applied a ton of gasket glue  , still leaking .  :027: :006:

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 07:55:03 PM
I’m presuming your referring to the output drive casing like the photo posted by Jäeger. With gasket sealing products too much can make things worse.

It sounds like the the cover may be warped. With this sort of gasket leak it’s worth checking the mating surfaces. With both case and cover cleaned up. Assemble dry and visually inspect for gaps and any rocking movement. Check to see if your smallest feeler gauge will slide in between the case/cover anywhere.

next pull apart and apply the thinnest smear of something like copper grease to the cover. Needs to be an even covering all the way round  Reassemble and push together by hand and pull apart the grease should have transferred evenly to the engine case. If there is a gap somewhere you might have a problem. A steel ruler applied to the suspected area may confirm or not a small defect in the cover or case.

A cover can be flattened on a glass plate with grinding paste applied and by plenty of elbow grease. An issue with the engine case would be an expensive repair.

There are some gasket sealants that are used by the racing fraternity that are considered much better then the normal sealants and are capable of dealing with bigger tolerances. Unfortunately I don’t recall what they are called.
Older than the internet.

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #56 on: March 03, 2022, 08:37:19 PM
Just finished a 3,000km tour of NZ North Island and while stopped at a seaside hotel at Opononi..in the Hokianga, farish North.....a cluster of other bikers showed up. I had a chat with them..all old codgers such as myself. They were standing around my parked bike talking about it as I walked over. One of them had a newish BMW 1200GS and he was most intent on the details of my XR. He asked about shaft drive..and how many of the Tiger range had it..vs chain. He said - they all leak water if you go off-road....BMW does. There you go.

Offline Erik

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: EXPLORER de 2012
  • City / Town: Avignon
Reply #57 on: June 19, 2022, 04:46:22 PM
Hello,

Sorry for my English but I use a translator.

I would like to buy you the tool to undo the splined nut in order to access the large oil seal.

I live in France in Avignon, could you give me the price with the delivery (fast if possible)?

Thanks in advance.

*Originally Posted by Robin [+]
I've had a batch of the sprocket tools made up. They're just 6mm thick mild steel plate cut out with a water jet or laser.

If anyone need/wants one I'll finish it by hand and cut the groove and post them out. The cost will £20.00 each + P&P to where ever you are. message me for a quote on postage with your address.

I can also supply the oil seals as well.

The large one is £12.00 each
the small one is £6.00 each
the large O ring for the outside of the seal holder is £.050 each

I'm not doing this to make money. This is a cheap DIY repair which will hopefully save owners a lot of money and grief so no warranty is given or implied.