Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What are (or were) members occupations?  (Read 9276 times)

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
Re: What are (or were) members occupations?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »
I grew up in Sheffield and a chunk of my heart was withheld in Yorkshire when I left for safekeeping. Grandad and Dad both rode bikes (An Indian, Ariel Square 4 and Norton ES2 being most memorable). Dad gave me his old Honda C90 at 16, which was precious independence. The next bike was a Honda CB250G5 rescued from failure/abandonment for 50 quid and brought back to life. Very fond memories of wrenching with Dad.

Numerous jobs while in school - hifi salesman, bar tending, grocery shelf stacking, brick making, zinc die casting, running an ice cream van - anything for petrol and farkle money!

I got a visiting professor job offer from the university of Texas at Dallas out of the blue when I was finishing my Ph.D. (Statistics) and thought it would be a fun temporary thing to do for 9 months. Almost 30 years later, I have a Texan wife of >25 years (it only took ~20 years for the complaining about moving to Michigan to peter out) and a couple of grown boys. I moved from academia to GM powertrain engineering and then to my current job where I run a company that rebuilds locomotive diesel engines and provides industrial control system solutions for engines, compressors, turbines etc. My avatar is at work - that's a 20 cylinder locomotive engine crankshaft making up the bottom part of the flagpole. Fun to come to work at a big engine playground! Happy to give a tour to anyone passing through SE Michigan.
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
Former Police dog handler and got so p'd off that I left.   That was 11 years ago, been self employed as a musical instrument repairer and professional musician since.   Plenty of time to ride!
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Offline Tiny

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »
I'm a production manager for an international tyre manufacturer. Been in the game 13 years, before that a parts manager for a forestry machinery company & initially a time served mechanical engineer.

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 07:41:57 PM »
Sales & marketing manager for another Great British motorcycle brand - CCM Motorcycles  :305:
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 01:08:49 AM »
After leaving university (at last) I worked in about 20 industries - everything from diagnostics in robot nylon factories to ship hull stress monitoring. I then spent about 15 years working in mobile phone networks on security, WiFi and SIMs, and I've done the last two and half years overseeing government-funded industrial R&D projects. I've never owned a car, although I did have a company car at my last job - no point in flattening my own tyres on the motorway if they will pay for a car to commute in. Now I'm back to bikes only - the TEX, a Daytona 1200 (which used to be my "company car" at a previous outfit), a tuned 2001 Bonnie with vicious handling characteristics, and a TTR250 trail bike. I live a bachelor existence, so building a new garage outfitted purely for the bikes works for me. Currently wondering about getting a terrier, calibrated to fit in the tank-mounted dog-bag I already have for an occasional boarder.

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 05:20:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bikerbuk [+]
Former Police dog handler and got so p'd off that I left.   That was 11 years ago, been self employed as a musical instrument repairer and professional musician since.   Plenty of time to ride!
I sell bikes and ride less than ever! Mostly ride my PC around the office  :012:
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline kjc200763

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Saltash
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »
Scheduling Officer for a rural bus operator, Approx 200 vehicles 10 operating sites. Mega jigsaw.
Make it so number one.

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tiny [+]
I'm a production manager for an international tyre manufacturer. Been in the game 13 years, before that a parts manager for a forestry machinery company & initially a time served mechanical engineer.

Any free tires?
Wanna be my "Around th world" sponsor?
 :164:

Offline Jonnybiscuit

• Explorer Master
  • There's no substitute for CCs
  • Bike: Duc1198s/1200GSA
  • City / Town: Ashby-de-la-Zouch
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
Born in Ramsgate and left there in 1970 for a DO apprenticeship at Rolls Royce in Derby. 8 years there, ending as Senior Detail Draughtsman, then left to go to United biscuits (then McV & KP, but became MUCH bigger) as Project Draughtsman. Ended up as Group Chief Engineer in 2000 with responsibility for around 25 UB factories & Jvs all over the world. Left UB and set up my own business as a biscuit (and extruded snack) manufacturing consultant in 2001, again working around the world (incl. all the household names in the industry). Just retired (I'll be 63 next month), so now I can spend lots of time with my family, Grandchildren (currently 4),  bikes (currently 2) and dogs (2...but soon to be 3). I don't miss working one tiny bit  :018: Had quite enough of being stuck in whichever Ogobogoland needed to make biscuits, like Billy no mates, and I'm sick of airports and hotels.
Lived in Ramsgate, Derby, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Crickhowell, Lanark.....and Damascus. Also, (in total) lived in China for 3 years (about 4 months/year for 7 years).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:41:22 PM by Jonnybiscuit »

Offline capt_ted

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Gainesville,FL
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »
Unemployed or is it retired? Drive boats for a living but not getting much work as of late due to ageism in industry.

Recent Topics