Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What are (or were) members occupations?  (Read 9075 times)

Online Raistlin

• Explorer Member
  • Who doesn't love a triple...!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Re: What are (or were) members occupations?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
For my sins...a civil servant,but before your heckles rise. I'm an a examiner. Yes,one of those brave few putting life and limb with people taking the driving test. Used to do bike testing,but found it spoiled my own riding,so knocked it on the head. The stories I could tell...

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Raistlin [+]
Used to do bike testing,but found it spoiled my own riding
How so?

Offline PapaTom

• Explorer Master
  • Ride Safe - Ride Tomorrow
  • Bike: Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:42 AM »
Started in computing in '79. Not for me. Became a production manager at a clothing factory. Definitely not for me. Then, in a moment of sheer brilliance decided to join local authority fire service. Spent the next 30 years seeing things, doing things and playing with all sorts of gear that I will never forget. After saying that, now retired from the job. Don't miss it, maybe because I still get to see the guys at social events (pub). Currently semi-retired teaching/assessing first-aid.
Plenty of time now for family, motorhome and bike. Not necessarily in that order.

:031:

Offline rockcatch

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »
I went to Bangor University in 1996 and did a computer systems engineering degree. This led to working for SecureTrading as a software developer, information security officer and sysadmin until 2005 when I started working for myself as a web software developer. I now design and develop e-commerce websites, and web applications. I also do some teaching at Bangor University. As an aside I'm also a member, and current chairman of Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation which at times I'm sure could class as a full time job in itself!

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockcatch [+]
As an aside I'm also a member, and current chairman of Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation which at times I'm sure could class as a full time job in itself!

I hope I don't need you when I'm fell running in the Glyders / Carnedds but good to know you're there. You and your teams do a great job, pass on my thanks to all

Online Raistlin

• Explorer Member
  • Who doesn't love a triple...!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
Hey Nik,if you mean how does it spoil your riding,?  Riding behind someone all day tires you mentally,so you go home and think I've just ridden  'X'amount,and suddenly you're love is your job and there's no division. Everyone thinks it must be a great job,but I would rather have fun on my Tex. Beside they also give you BMW 800.... :004:

Offline Klebbenator

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Eagle Mountain, UT
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
I grew up in USA's anus, the high desert of California. The moment I turned 18 I joined the Navy and stayed gone for 8 years, working on missile and gun systems while sailing three of the seven seas. I married a lady and had a son in the process, who both decided to stick with me... :047:
I got out of the Navy in 2007 and took my current job as a technician for a semiconductor manufacturer. I now supervise a team of very clean, somewhat repulsive, and always crude technicians. If you save pictures on your phone, a thumb drive, or an SSD, the chances are good that I had a hand in making your memories last :030: I have been doing this for just about 10 years, which is surprising and also somewhat scary.

They hate us cause they ain't us

Offline Tiny

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lopez [+]
Any free tires?
Wanna be my "Around th world" sponsor?
 :164:

Ha, would love to, unfortunately I can't even get free tyres for my own bike. We get a small number of discount vouchers annually which means the Tourance Next I bought today were £105 for the pair. Not bad I suppose but I would rather have a freebie!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Raistlin [+]
Riding behind someone all day tires you mentally,so you go home and think I've just ridden  'X'amount,and suddenly you're love is your job and there's no division.
See what you mean now ;-)

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »
I'm an insurance broker so I will get my hat and coat and leave now before I get abused 😉

Recent Topics