Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Therm arrest Cot  (Read 2446 times)

Offline DonVulpes

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tex, TTR
  • City / Town: Fleckney, Leics
Re: Therm arrest Cot
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:53 AM »
Have one, love it. Not cheap, but there are copies about.

I have a sleeping bag with a pocket for my thermarest pad, which has proved to be comfier than most cheap motel beds.

Once you get used to doing it, setup is a couple of minutes.

Hoping I can fit it inside my swag.

Offline Biker Mike

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Poole
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
I bought the Therm-a-rest cot because I'm a bit of a heavyweight at 105Kg and because I sleep on my side, I wanted something to stop my hip touching the ground.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermarest-LuxuryLite-UltraLite-Cot-Large/dp/B00G3PE6FG

I also bought the cot warmer add-on which is basically a silvered sheet that you hang below the cot. Without it, I was noticeably colder when the temperature was hovering between 0 and 5 degrees. The sheet basically takes the cot from a 1-season to a 3-season.

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-LuxuryLite-Cot-Warmer-Gray/dp/B00HZ12U0A

Doesn't take too long to put the cot together or take it apart and it doesn't take up too much space on the bike, although this year I've also bought a Therm-a-rest Neoair all season mat.

https://www.countryside.co.uk/thermarest/neoair-all-season-regular?gclid=CL7zx9mZkcwCFUs6GwodzkcPvQ

The plan being, to try the mat as an alternative to the cot and then most likely use it on top of the cot (I'm hoping I don't break anything if I fall off. lol)

When I laid out on the Neoair for the first time, I was amazed how much heat it reflected back.

First big outing for the combo will be during a trip up to The Isle of Skye this May.

My bag incidentally, is a Mountain Hardware Lamina 20. Perfect for me in the UK although can be a bit warm in sunnier climes.

Offline Biker Mike

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Poole
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by DonVulpes [+]
I'll be very interested in how you get on.

I'm a click away from buying a Big Agnes down bag and pad, but at $450 it's not cheap. If the Neoair is warmer than the cot, I can get a 2 season bag for most of my trips.
A buddy bought the Neoair last year when we did the Scottish North Coast 500 and he swears by it (reason why I had no hesitation in getting one).
Not sure what bag he uses other than it's just a budget Coleman rectangle.
We hit temperatures down to minus 5 overnight and there were no complaints.

I've had my Lamina 20 for a few seasons now and have to say it's brilliant, mainly because it packs smaller than any other synth bag I've tried (I also use a compression bag, so it packs extra small) and it's so comfortable (I've the size large).
I wouldn't go for a down bag, mainly because of cost, but also because a down bag isn't particularly water tolerant and my tent is rather prone to condensation.
I also bought a silk liner for my bag this year because I'm not keen on the idea of putting the Lamina in the wash too often and the silk should give another couple of degrees warmth if the temperatures are anything like they were at the same time last year (even the midges wore overcoats).

Offline DonVulpes

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tex, TTR
  • City / Town: Fleckney, Leics
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
I'm not sure what make my bag is to be honest...Neoloft or something like that. Doesn't particularly pack down small, but it's been fine for what I've needed. The Big Agnes is a new design with a water resistant down, so should be less of an issue with condensation.
I use a liner every day, on long trips, mainly to keep the bag fresh. I might have to look at silk liners, as mine's fleece and again quite bulky.

I'm sure I read a review somewhere of a Thermarest pad that's more like a mattress, but packs small and you can use the whole setup like a bed, with a quilt instead of a bag. Seemed a very interesting idea.

Recent Topics

nonskid