Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: has anyone had a fuel pump issue?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline thmhamilton

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Omagh
has anyone had a fuel pump issue?
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:31 PM »
Hi Folks,

I need a wee bit of help or advice?

I was out on my 2012 Explorer today with my wife and all was going great.
Went to the Balmoral show and then up to Portrush to the NW 200.
Just entering Portrush the bike just died at the roundabout. And wouldn't start again?
It showed that still had about a half a tank of fuel no warning lights on?

The engine would turn over all righ but wouldn't start.

I didn't have any glasses with me so I wasn't sure what fuse was for the fuel pump?
I took the hose of the tank and tried the ignition but no fuel came out of the pipe?

I had to get a the bike lifted by a local garage and got home via Train and Bus.

Very disappointed and frustrated!

Has anyone had this problem before?

I still didn't get a good chance to check the fuse but it seems that the pump may be the issue or power going to it?

I hope to get a trailer tomorrow and go and bring her home for further investigation?

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: has anyone had a fuel pump issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:23 PM »
If my memory serves me right someone did have a fuel pump issue on here not long ago. Again, from memory it was an intermittent problem. The pump filter was found to be badly contaminated but I think the bike would start but was cutting out. Try a search. 

Offline thmhamilton

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:54:24 PM »
Thanks Griff.

I'll have a look!

The funny thing is the bike had been going great all day, so spluttering or holding back and only stopped when I had slowed down for the roundabout?

Offline garyten

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:08:57 AM »
Sorry to hear of your problem, and such a nice weather for the NW200 week.

Can i ask,
Do you hear the pump "whining" when you turn on, like a high pitched noise?, if you do, it at least rules out a power to pump problem.

Stupid question now, but is your battery healthy?, has it been flat recently? this might sound odd but low voltages may play havoc with sensors.

Assuming there are no engine management lights on, do have an alarm / immobiliser  fitted? it has been known for some bikes to quit near high powered radio masts etc. ( ring antenna issues for anyone with a 1200GS will have heard about)

I know some early bikes were plagued with random cut outs, however the bikes often restarted i believe later, i think that's why triumph may have replaced the ECU in most of the early models.

Is the bike up to date with triumph, with things like software updates and ECU recalls, etc ?

I have to say as a 2012 owner in your neck of the woods, i haven't met any owners with any such problems, and my own has been faultless through 8000 miles.

There are a few on these boards with similar "cutout" issues so hopefully they might shed more light on a possible cure.

Maybe try a search for older posts on this problem in the meantime.

Offline garyten

• Explorer Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:17:58 AM »
Reading Griff's post above is the first port of of call if it were me , given you said there appeared too be no output from the fuel line you pulled of.

Offline thmhamilton

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:21:59 AM »
Thanks Garyten.

The Battery is good. The ECU was updated a couple of years ago and as far as I'm aware the bike is pretty much up to date with all the valve modifications etc.

The engine management light would come on when I turned the ignition on but as soon as I tried to start it it would go off?

The bike did start after some time but died again as soon as I opened the throttle?

I removed the hose and pushed the drain hose onto the outlet and tried to blow back into the tank but It seemed blocked (Probably a valve of some sort)

I could suck petrol out but small amounts. I tried to start her with the hose off but nothing coming out?

I couldn't  hear the pump, but I don't remember hearing it at any time before either.

The bike does have around 17,000 miles on it. I replaced the oil and air filters and oil about three months ago.

I hopefully will get her home tomorrow and have a good look at the electrics first just to make sure it's got power?

I see a new pump is around £300?

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:36:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by thmhamilton [+]
The bike did start after some time but died again as soon as I opened the throttle?

Could you please check if there are any fault codes stored. You do this by pressing the  Set button on the left hand switch cluster at the same time as the Up button, and turn the ignition on while holding them. The fault codes should show on the display. Anything other than P0000 is significant.

I rather suspect this problem: https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,13282.0.html. You should be able to use the fault codes to get a good idea of it. The problem will stop the engine from starting, but it will reset after a few minutes. It's also associated with throttle movement. It's particularly likely to be the cause if you happened to check the valve clearances when you were doing the other work on the bike.

Offline garyten

• Explorer Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:46:44 AM »
Im inclined to go with the Fuel supply, as i said above, i can hear a noise from the pump when i turn my key on, before i start the engine.
maybe just a fuse, or fuel filter.

There was a bit of talk on here sometime ago about TPS (throttle position sensors) or some other crankshaft sensors playing up, but i think you would of had other symtoms before this i would think.

Last ditched attempt i suppose would be a reset, by disconecting the battery for a short time, then reconnect, just as a reset on boot up type of thing.

There are a ot of knowledgeable people on here, with a lot of deep understanding on the technical side of the Explorer, you may be at least be able to test some of the items, if someone tells you how

If all else fails, i believe Triumph are usually quite helpful, even out of warranty , so even if your worst fears of fuel pump failure are real, you may get a bit of goodwill from Triumph or dealer.

Offline thmhamilton

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »
Thanks Guys,

I'll go up today and bring her home, I'll try out these things and keep you posted!

Cheers!

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Master
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
I thought the fuel pump discharge hose had self sealing fittings, so would appear to be blocked when disconnected. The quickest check of the fuel pump is to hear it running for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on. You need to check for fault codes before going any further, hopefully that will give a big clue. Also battery voltage needs to be above 12.6v after being sat for a while.

Recent Topics