Poll

Are you in favour of the U.K. remaining in the EU or would you rather Leave

Remain in the EU
29 (38.2%)
leave the EU
47 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are you In or Out  (Read 17345 times)

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Bike: TRex,Dyt'a12,CB250RS
  • City / Town: St Cleer
Re: Are you In or Out
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
It's this kind of argument that proves that such an important decision shouldn't be taken by a referendum!

Offline Ogri (Trainee)

• Explorer Pro
  • life starts when my daughter finishes University!
  • Bike: Grey Explorer
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
 :0461: But sadly it is..... Remember you are voting for long term progress here not short term issues......  What do you want for the next 50 to 100 years of history, most us will be dead when the real progress will happen. Me I am putting my faith in unity not isolation.
Grey Explorer, hand guards, heated grips, fogs, touring screen, heated seat, OEM Panniers and a Garmin Satnav with curvy roads what else do you need?

Offline Prodded Dog

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Rotherham
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
If the European Union was merely a development and progression of its original form, the European Free Trade Agreement (The Common Market) then I would be happy to stay. But it is no longer that.
It has become politicised in the extreme with Law, Sovereignty and decision making all subjugated to the European will. All controlled by the unelected Commissioners of the EU.
In this country if you don't like the current Government you can vote to remove them.  We can vote on our MEPs but they are powerless in the grand scheme of things.
The imposition of the EU will always takes precedence over individual states national interests. They claim this is in the interests of all. Or is it to justify the increasingly centralized control of the Federal State of Europe?
I was recently at a bike rally in Germany. Certainly the Dutch and the French want us to "leave" to promote a seismic change in the structure of the EU. If we go then they might follow.
I am avoiding the emotive subject like immigration, potential new member States e.g. Turkey. The Court of Human Rights, the Euro etc. to avoid being seen as a xenophobe.
All I can say is that what was agreed in the 70's and yes I had a vote on it back then, is so far from the todays reality that it is essential to put a stop, a full stop, on the creeping progression towards a European POLITICAL union that will forever subsume The United Kingdom.
I just want my country back, that's all.
The Prodded Dog

Offline bobbylines

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Padenstedt/Poole
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
I,m a Brit who,s been living in Germany for the last 32 years,i hope that the vote  is not for Brexit ,but only because it would make life easier for me to stay here in Germany,having said that if i still lived in GB i might be tempted to vote out but i think this would be a big mistake in the long run but can understand when people want to vote out.

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
Britain is no longer the big man it thinks it is! The only thing that is stopping the Tories tearing up hard fought workers rights, enviromental standards and human rights in the name of big business is the E.U. As for immigration, most of these poor souls contribute more than they take. The lack of school places, housing & the extra strain on the NHS is a failure of goverment to invest all that extra tax take, (would rather cut the upper rate tax rate for those poor struggling zillionaires). Take a look at some of the numpties wandering our streets. Do you really think that they would take up the slack if we stopped immigration, no chance, just not interested in working for a living! One other thing to consider is that Europe has not had an internal war since it was formed, I am sure that when any sort of nationalism takes hold in a big way, things can go tits-up very quickly. Nationalism is never good and any goverment that uses it to win an argument should be binned.  Anyway, I am sure by now that you now my vote, I'll shut up now.
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline s187942

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Ascot
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 08:50:14 PM »
 :0461:

As a Nation we also export a large number of brits - I wonder what those countries we are moving to think of our status when we settle in their country - A question for the Daily Mail and Express - and all the other right wing junk papers - why is it, that when westerners - mainly EU, but also US and Aus citizens go elsewhere, they are Expats - a nice positive sounding title, where as - anyone coming here is an immigrant - with a negative connotation.

Anyway - for me the benefits to workers as a whole is one of the reasons I would prefer to stay in the EU, and I think, on the whole, we benefit being in. 
T Sprint 1050 x3
T Tiger 1050 (roadie) x 1
Tex

Offline Rooster

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
Figures from the HMRC website - March 16 being the last reported month.

UK exports to the EU for March 2016 were £12.0 billion. This was an increase of £0.6 billion (5.7 per cent) compared with last month, and a rise of £0.1 billion (0.6 per cent) compared with March 2015.

U.K. Imports from the EU for March 2016 were £20.2 billion. This was an increase of £0.8 billion (4.1 per cent) compared with last month, and a rise of £0.1 billion (0.5 per cent) compared with March 2015.

I don't think we will have too much problem renegotiating trade deals.
Don't worry about things you can't change.

Offline Rooster

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 08:58:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by s187942 [+]
:0461:

As a Nation we also export a large number of brits - I wonder what those countries we are moving to think of our status when we settle in their country - A question for the Daily Mail and Express - and all the other right wing junk papers - why is it, that when westerners - mainly EU, but also US and Aus citizens go elsewhere, they are Expats - a nice positive sounding title, where as - anyone coming here is an immigrant - with a negative connotation.

Anyway - for me the benefits to workers as a whole is one of the reasons I would prefer to stay in the EU, and I think, on the whole, we benefit being in.

Well the TUC agree with you. Lol

https://www.facebook.com/GBrexit/videos/1726320724274489/
Don't worry about things you can't change.

Offline grumps

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer Xc
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Prodded Dog [+]
If the European Union was merely a development and progression of its original form, the European Free Trade Agreement (The Common Market) then I would be happy to stay. But it is no longer that.
It has become politicised in the extreme with Law, Sovereignty and decision making all subjugated to the European will. All controlled by the unelected Commissioners of the EU.
In this country if you don't like the current Government you can vote to remove them.  We can vote on our MEPs but they are powerless in the grand scheme of things.
The imposition of the EU will always takes precedence over individual states national interests. They claim this is in the interests of all. Or is it to justify the increasingly centralized control of the Federal State of Europe?
I was recently at a bike rally in Germany. Certainly the Dutch and the French want us to "leave" to promote a seismic change in the structure of the EU. If we go then they might follow.
I am avoiding the emotive subject like immigration, potential new member States e.g. Turkey. The Court of Human Rights, the Euro etc. to avoid being seen as a xenophobe.
All I can say is that what was agreed in the 70's and yes I had a vote on it back then, is so far from the todays reality that it is essential to put a stop, a full stop, on the creeping progression towards a European POLITICAL union that will forever subsume The United Kingdom.
I just want my country back, that's all.
The Prodded Dog

Do you know? That has summed up my thoughts to a 'T' just brilliantly put. I'm going to copy that and print it.

Thanks
2018 Xca, BMW K1600 GTL, GT380

If money can't buy happiness, explain motorbikes and beer

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 01:34:51 AM »
I live in New Zealand so will not be voting but have given my son who lives in the UK my proxy vote but feeling for EU are: -
When the EU was first set up it was countries with a similar GDP but once countries with a lower GDP entered it was one way traffic not only for immigration but Brussels spending and the cost of being in the EU is money that can be spent at home
The UK trades with the world not just the EU so I do not see an issue with the world trading with the UK once again.
For me its its leave the EU and restore sovereignty put money into the NHS and not be dictated to by an unelected body that does not have the interests of the UK and its people.

Recent Topics

nonskid