Poll

Are you in favour of the U.K. remaining in the EU or would you rather Leave

Remain in the EU
29 (38.2%)
leave the EU
47 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are you In or Out  (Read 23309 times)

Offline Travelman

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: KTM Superduke/ FJR
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: Are you In or Out
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnybiscuit [+]
You seem to have missed the fact that the banking crisis/collapse stared in the US as a result of their domestic "Sub Prime" lending and global hedging. Is the EU going to tackle US Bankers too then? Noooo.....just ours  :009:  Anyway, cutting Bankers bonuses will not prevent a repeat of the collapse. They're peanuts in the grand scheme of things......but the migration of the banking business to another more "sympathetic" city would put a massive hole in the UK's economy. The greedy eurocrats were/are pandering to the jealous public (and that includes me).

Don't forget that the collapse of UK bank Northern Rock was a full year before the Lehman's collapse, and is generally seen as the symbolic start of the credit crunch.
I know we have no free will, but I enjoy the delusion

Offline Ogri (Trainee)

• Explorer Pro
  • life starts when my daughter finishes University!
  • Bike: Grey Explorer
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnybiscuit [+]
Can you not see that these two statements contradict each other ??  :027:  The first is delusional ............. and the second is the reason why it's delusional.  :033:

The total population of the EU is 508 Million. The current population of the UK is 65 Million. Very simply that means we have a 13% say. It's laughable to suggest we have/would have any "control" over decisions................. And that's before any further enlargement of the block.

But we have exactly the same control as everyone else.... So it is fair. I can think of no reason why we should have more control than anyone else. There have been many regulations that we have instigated that other countries MEP's have been outvoted on.
Grey Explorer, hand guards, heated grips, fogs, touring screen, heated seat, OEM Panniers and a Garmin Satnav with curvy roads what else do you need?

Offline arthurmo

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX,Thruxton
  • City / Town: Malvern
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
France has 1 more Mep than us and Germany seem to have the highest  at 96.It's fair to say we are often seen as the difficult child of Europe and some members are resentful about the rebate. To this end getting agreement on our views is harder the recent negotiations having proved this.

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Prodded Dog [+]
So much for an adult conversation :435:

The Prodded Dog

So thinly disguised xenophobia is acceptable but a sweary acronym should be challenged.
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline arthurmo

• Explorer Member
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by BlahBlah [+]
So thinly disguised xenophobia is acceptable but a sweary acronym should be challenged.

Why was the question he asked xenophobic? Perhaps he was referring to the problems Ukraine experienced in electing and maintaining a democracy,or the differences on accepting immigrant quotas from Poland, Bulgaria and Hungary within the Eu.

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »
"Are Eastern European countries even interested in whats fair and reasonable"

If that's not a xenophobic generalisation then I do not know what is. Although you seem to have extracted some hidden detail from it!
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline arthurmo

• Explorer Member
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
It was put as a question not as a statement. I left out the huge elephant in the Eastern European room which is Russia.Although a democracy it appears to be a tightly controlled one and doesn't seem too interested in respecting other countries rights and even borders. The surge in NATO applications from their neighbours seems to confirm this.

Either way I'm going off topic. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this blah blah as I said earlier I think we'll remain in as folks fear the unknown.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by arthurmo [+]
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this blah blah as I said earlier I think we'll remain in as folks fear the unknown.

Staying in is as much of an unknown as coming out is and I wonder is people realise that?

Offline Ogri (Trainee)

• Explorer Pro
  • life starts when my daughter finishes University!
  • Bike: Grey Explorer
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:08 AM »
That doesn't add up though, we have for a long time been part of a large group of rich stable countries, doing pretty well, where nothing is going to change dramatically and if we stay in and we will have input into what does change however slowly.

Compare this to standing on our own for the first time in many years with what is now a purely service based economy in a world that has changed enormously, I would argue one is more unknown than the other.
Grey Explorer, hand guards, heated grips, fogs, touring screen, heated seat, OEM Panniers and a Garmin Satnav with curvy roads what else do you need?

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ogri (Trainee) [+]
That doesn't add up though, we have for a long time been part of a large group of rich stable countries, doing pretty well, where nothing is going to change dramatically and if we stay in and we will have input into what does change however slowly.

Compare this to standing on our own for the first time in many years with what is now a purely service based economy in a world that has changed enormously, I would argue one is more unknown than the other.

But Ogri is that not the problem! When the EU started with the initial fifteen countries ( Austria  -  Belgium  -  Denmark  -  Finland  -  France  -  Germany  -  Greece   Ireland -  Italy  -  Luxembourg  -  Netherlands  -  Portugal  - Spain  -  Sweden - United Kingdom) who's GDP's were all similar but other countries have been let in that are not equal (Cyprus  -  Czech Republic  -  Estonia  -  Hungary  -  Latvia - Lithuania - Malta - Poland  -  Slovakia  -  Slovenia - Bulgaria - Romania and Croatia) or even close to it which has upset the balance so its not an even playing field any more.

Recent Topics