Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike clothing - what do you use?  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Simon64

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Didcot
Re: Bike clothing - what do you use?
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
15 year old Aerostich Darien jacket which has never leaked and still comes up bright yellow every wash. Aerostich could do with having a UK distributor! Usually have a Forcefield back protector underneath it with whatever leather jeans fit this year! Altberg Clubmans -Old and superb.
Helmet is a Schuberth C3 basic and gloves from Halvarrsens. It's not high fashion but it works.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »
After using various brands, mainly triumph kit bought when Triumph world were having their sales, 2 years ago, after hanging up my kit overnight to find it still sodden in the morning, I invested in the latest Rukka (courtesy of Jenks) laminated Jacket and Trousers and I now have Rukka gloves.

What a difference, my kit doesn't absorb the water to an internal layer that takes ages to dry, and last Friday having ridden over 100 miles in the rain when the sun came out my kit was perfectly dry within 30 mins as I continued my journey.

And whats more, this kit will outdo the rest of my biking career I think
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »
Good to see this thread STILL going...  :008:

I think someone else said it but it's really great to see what are essentially proper real world reviews of kit. I'm still using my Klim Latitude for longer distance & crap weather rides, and the Forma Adventure boots which don't seem to want to wear out! I use Kevlar lined RST jeans & a Triumph leather jacket on short summer rides. The post above hit exactly my reason for buying a decent laminated gortex suit; zero faff with layers & no sodden outers.

Lid wise I eventually got around to buying the Schuberth E1. The Neotech I had was awesome quality but fit wise it turned out to be just not quite right, even with the different liner pads. In between I tried on the Klim Krios (hurt the top of my head within 20 mins so sent it back), NEXX XWED2 (faulty so sent it back) and a cheapy in the LS2 Metro Evo, which was surprisingly comfy but I had one of the screws which secure the peak/visor/flip front (yes, all together) fall out on the M11 at 70mph...

Ghost Bikes were the retailer and were utter dog toffee in sending a replacement screw (although I did get a partial refund) so it eventually went in the bin when I bought the E1 on offer. At last I think I've found a long term lid. Perfect fit, quiet and good quality. Not sure I'd pay £600 for one but I got mine for £299 in a sale.  :018:

Next investment will likely be some new gloves but haven't made my mind up yet; either Klim or maybe the Held Air & Dry as recommended by someone on this thread.

All the best!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:33:48 PM by BarnsleyBob »

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
I just ordered a Klim Induction jacket and Voyager Air pant for summer riding.  I will be trying these out on my trip to Pittsburgh this weekend, where it is supposed to be pushing 90F.

I have a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants for most of the year. It gets really warm when it gets above 80F or so, but anything below that, the suit is perfect.

I would have liked another Triumph Adventure Mesh jacket and pants (the suit I have is from 2006) but Triumph doesn't really make anything like it anymore- it fit perfectly, had the perfect colors and was fabulous in hot weather.  I still have it, but the pants shrunk.  And it's time to replace/update the armor which is 13 years old. 

I have various gloves for different conditions.

For cold or wet riding, I love my Alpinestars Toucan boots (comfortable in hot weather, too).  For warm weather and a longer ride, it's Alpinestars SMX Plus Vented boots.  For back and forth to work or a quick trip to the store, I wear SMX 1-Rs.

The lid is always a Shoei Neotech.  Love the helmet.  Waiting for the Neotech 3 to come out and I'll replace this one.  I like the Neotech IIs, but don't want to invest in another com system.  Plus, the one that integrates with the NT2 has not had great reviews.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 06:02:11 PM »
I have been wearing an Olympia Troy jacket lately. I recently went on a 6k trip around the western US and the jacket didn't fair so well.  The grey turned purple and the stitching in the left sleeve came apart.  The Olympia mesh pants I have have been outstanding though I can't remember what model they are. 

I don't live all that far from Duluth so I plan to take a drive up there one of these days and get fitted for an Aerostich two piece suit.  They're kinda spendy but everyone I have talked to that has them say they are worth the money. 

Recent Topics

nonskid