Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken Frame (Exhauast Hanger)  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Mike

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • "So That is How the Tiger Got It's Stripes"
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
Broken Frame (Exhauast Hanger)
« on: June 24, 2016, 07:55:17 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I was reading some old threads the other day on the forum and I found one posted by BIKERBOY944 in Sept 2014 about his broken frame.  It prompted me to go out and check mine carefully, :012: I found a hairline fracture on my frame right on one of the tiny welds on the exhaust hanger.  My Tex is just over a year old so I went straight to my Triumph dealer, showed them the crack, who then escalated the concern to Triumph HQ.  They said that my frame is to be replaced; the Triumph Factory sent over my new frame together with frame number already attached.  It has arrived and is waiting at my dealer.

My bike is going in today and is to be completely rebuilt into the new frame this coming week.  Have any of you Guys had this done?

Honestly I am concerned, I would really appreciate some feedback from the community, perhaps giving me a heads up on any issues/pitfalls you had or what you think I should be aware of because of a rebuild? Any issues you had when they rebuilt your bike over (however small) would be of value and appreciated.  I am quite concerned that my bike may not come back the same way she going in  :003:

Kind Regards and Ride Safe
Mike
Patient but short-tempered, calm but rebellious, fearsome but affectionate, petty but noble, a free spirit but fiercely territorial.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Broken Frame (Exhauast Hanger)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »
I believe the preferred fix of some was to simply have the frame welded. That would also be my preferred option. One member did have issues after frame replacement as far as I can remember. I cannot remember what those issues were.

Online FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
Mine broke on exhaust hanger, reckon was probably a couple of years ago.
Dealer contacted Triumph, and it went in for new frame. No problems

Offline DaMonk45

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Magnolia, Tx
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
I check mine now and then but so far nothing,
If mine breaks it will be welded.
... but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson.

Offline Mike

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • "So That is How the Tiger Got It's Stripes"
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
Hi All,

Just thought I would let you guys in on the happenings around my Tex over the last two weeks.  As I said my exhaust hanger went south and Triumph replaced my frame.  Best bike manufacturer I have ever come across to be honest!  :152:  Anyway, my dealer performed the rebuild and I am happy to report that my bike is better than ever.  I now have a brand new frame, fresh from the factory, and it came with my frame number already punched in; so no paperwork hassles for me :047: 

If didn't know better I would say they never even touched my bike; the rebuild was so spot-on I cant even tell the difference from before it went in and now (I had nightmares about this).  Also I was happy to see that Triumph upgraded the frame exhaust hanger welds with an additional weld.  The hanger now has three welds; one on top in addition to the normal two on the sides of the hanger.

My bike is now in tip-top shape :046: (I have attached some pics too)

Cheers for now
Patient but short-tempered, calm but rebellious, fearsome but affectionate, petty but noble, a free spirit but fiercely territorial.

Offline KernowTrumpet

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
erm....nice clean garage they have there  :164:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:14 PM »
 :745: I think out of pure gratitude you should go in & paint their back wall for them, Mike... :152:

On a more serious note, it is nice to know that you can trust your dealer with any job that comes along. Kudos to them! :028:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:55:55 PM by Jon »
Jon

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:32:15 AM »
Glad they did a good job for you Mike and thanks for posting pics.  For those who have had the bracket break, have they all broken where Mike's has?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »
Have to check mine hanger to see if I have the third weld!

Would you guys think it would be a good idea to have it done proactively?

Offline KernowTrumpet

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Have to check mine hanger to see if I have the third weld!

Would you guys think it would be a good idea to have it done proactively?

Probably not at this stage.  It seems to affect a tiny number of bikes.  I would think the best way is to get it welded if it breaks - I would expect Triumph to honour that even out of warranty as it is a known issue from day 1.

Recent Topics