Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing front header pipes  (Read 559 times)

Offline Lee Marsden

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger explor
  • City / Town: BARNOLDSWICK
Removing front header pipes
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:14:23 PM »
Hi guys just bought a 2014 explorer. Front pipes could do with a really good clean. What is best way to remove front header? Anybody got any advice?

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
Re: Removing front header pipes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »
In theory: undo bottom radiator bolts and drop it forward. Get a socket and remove header nuts after spraying them liberally with some type of lubricating spray. Undo clamp at the cat. Pull headers forward off the studs and the link pipe. Clean headers then replace gaskets and nuts etc and refit.
However, be prepared to skin your knuckles, swear a lot and replace the studs as they are likely to either snap off in the head or come out with the headers. One of my studs snapped flush at the head had to have it professionally drilled and heli coiled which meant front end strip completely removing radiator etc. 2 of the studs came out with the headers and also had to be replaced.
In my opinion unless you have to remove them clean them in place
But that’s just my experience. I’ve heard lots of stories like this and I’ve also heard other people have had no problems whatsoever.

I now use Harpic power plus toilet cleaner. Paint it on with a brush leave it a few minutes and use a scouting pad for the stubborn bits. Good rinse off. There’s lots of vids on you tube showing before and after. 
Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:39:24 PM by pug27 »

Online sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
Agree save your self the bother  :005: - just clean them in situ - take your belly pan off if you want to spend time undooing something    :031:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by pug27 [+]
In my opinion unless you have to remove them clean them in place
I totally agree.
In the old days of my '08 1050 Tiger, I had an exhaust leak at the headers. Dealer took in charge, replaced faulty gasket and gave the bike back to me.
Then he had to do it all again, because one of the new gaskets were incorrectly pinched!

A very patient, careful and experienced mech with lots of time available probably could do it perfectly, but I wouldn't risk it.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
Leave them in place.
Scotch Brite with WD40 and lots of elbow grease will do the job.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
Total waste of time and money. If you want to spend all your time cleaning your bike, buy a Harley

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
Total waste of time and money. If you want to spend all your time cleaning your bike, buy a Harley
:008:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid