Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best Bike lift for TEX (in the UK)  (Read 2783 times)

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
Best Bike lift for TEX (in the UK)
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:25 PM »
Thinking of getting a bike lift to make it easier to work on the TEX and remove wheels for tyre fitting. Anybody got any ideas or already has one?

Been looking at 'The Big Blue' at on-bike.com or the Clarke CML5 Hydraulic lift, but both raise the bike around the centre stand area and I think it may be very front heavy for this type of lift.

Suggestios, ideas and thoughts welcome.  :440:

Offline KernowTrumpet

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Torpoint
Re: Best Bike lift for TEX (in the UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »
the Big Blue looks good - not sure the Clarke will suit the underside of the TEX.  I've always wanted a decent lift for my bike but thought if I did ever find the money lying around, I'd go for the full ride-on ramp type and utilise the TEX's centre stand.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:47:54 PM »
I bought a Clarke CML3 https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-345743/clarke-cml3.html?gclid=CO7128WPo88CFVAz0wod3xsB1A a few years back for my previous machines, and have no problems with it with my Tex (2016 XRx-Low). The only thing with it you don't get and do need are ratchet straps (you get the bracketing for them, but no straps), these are a must once the bike is on the ramp for going over the handgrips to hold the bike more safely and securely (maybe its just me, but a part of me just doesn't trust a front clamp around the wheel irrelevant of who makes the stand!)

I find the TEX fits on nicely, its easy to use and I've had no issues with it. Makes it easier to work on my Low Tex (as you don't get a mainstand on the Low versions).

Whether the CML5 would work for you - hmm not sure. I've just been reviewing similar to get around the lack of a mainstand on my Tex, and Triumph advise removing the belly pan and using a proprietary hydraulic lift then lifting on the sump but also using straps to hold the biek securely. That's also the way I believe many dealers work.

Its a tough call in all honesty
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:53:13 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline Graham Keeton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer&Street Twin
  • City / Town: Barnstaple
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
I've got the same one (https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-345743/clarke-cml3.html?gclid=CO7128WPo88CFVAz0wod3xsB1A). Works great - I've added a couple of extra tie down points by drilling and fitting u bolts so I can shift the ties if they impinge on access.

Got my Harley (started life as a fat Bob) on it at the moment and if it'll lift that big lump it'll lift anything. It's been up there since last September, I never ride it now as the Triumph is just way too much fun.

Adds a bit of security too, when I'm not about I hide the pedal with the lift raised so it can't be lifted off the locking bar and dropped to the floor.

Offline ChrisN

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger1200XCa
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 06:13:35 PM »
Hi Colin,
Don't go for the CML5 type they're unstable and difficult to use safely with the TEx. They're more suitable for traditionally framed bikes.
I'd recommend the CML3 from Machine Mart. They're currently offering a promo code which in effect provides free home delivery at about £410 inc. VAT
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3-hydraulic-motorcylce-lift/
check out their video and you'll be sold   :002:
my Explorer XCx now lives in Tenerife

Offline The Midnight Rambler

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Red Tiger 1200 XrT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »
I did a bit of research on this a while back and got one from these guys
http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/motorcycle.shtml

Not only are they cheaper ( although they look pretty much the same and are all made in china) when I had a problem they were quick and helpful in resolving it.
Also, they do a narrower table version, and if your garage is not too spacious it makes it easier to work around.

The only problem I have had with the Tex is remembering to lower or remove the screen to avoid collision with the ceiling!
Of course I talk to myself.
Sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline ColinN

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Ride the TEX!
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Fremington
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by ChrisN [+]
Hi Colin,
Don't go for the CML5 type they're unstable and difficult to use safely with the TEx. They're more suitable for traditionally framed bikes.
I'd recommend the CML3 from Machine Mart. They're currently offering a promo code which in effect provides free home delivery at about £410 inc. VAT
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3-hydraulic-motorcylce-lift/
check out their video and you'll be sold   :002:

Hi Chris,

Yes had a good look at that and it does look good value. My only issue is that I really want a lift which leaves the suspension / wheels free to remove. The 'Big Blue' seems to be the only one that'll do that, and has a fairly big footprint for stability.

Online AndyB333

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Crystal White 17 Xcx
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
I have the big blue to lift my Rocket3 now I need to lift the Tex so have emailed the big blue dealers to find out which lifting mounts I need for the rear as the front will lift under the sump pan (xcx)

Offline Simian73

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
I have the CML3 type lift but from sealey, had it a good few years and had all my sportsbikes and now my tex on there, easily lifts the bike to suitable height.  I don't use the included front wheel clamp as with the sportsbikes I always used 2 paddock stands and the lift was long enough for this (something to look for on some lifts as they are only 1.8 or 2m long rather than 2.2m).  If its just the rear wheel you need to remove then its easy on the centre stand and a couple of ratchet straps for peace of mind.  If both wheels then I remove the rear first then put the front on a paddock stand and chock the rear swingarm.  I have added a couple of trays on the side for bolts etc.

Online AndyB333

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Crystal White 17 Xcx
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »
Reply from Big blue supplier in Tamworth :-

The only option for lifting this bike with the Big Blue lift will be with the Heavy Duty Footpeg mount set at £55 plus shipping £15.

Regards

Sales

Recent Topics