Author Topic: Oil Leak Bevel Box  (Read 5350 times)

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Re: Oil Leak Bevel Box
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:15 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Would it be your opinion that oil found in the rubber boot located between the final drive and the driveshaft, would likely originate from the driveshaft seal?
No, I wouldn't have thought so. My guess is there's another internal seal that's responsible for that.

You might want to take a look at the comments and photos here, especially the penultimate photo...

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,13217.msg165040.html#msg165040

...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Shaktjor1957

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Worcester
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:44 PM
I work for a German engineering company and took all available info to the chief engineer and owner.
He said - simple - every gearbox must have a breather as both the oil and the air expand when it is hot.
Breather should exit  away from dirty or wet areas - see posts on BMW GS with remote breathers on final drive exiting under the seat.
Without a breather the gearbox must put out oil and air when hot and take in air and dirt when cooling.
He has a 130 defender off road camper and all the gearbox breathers are by the windscreen.
We are engineering a remote breather for my XC now/

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:52 PM
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
My seal started leaking about 6 months ago. I simply replaced the seal from the outside without having to remove the final drive or bevel box. The seal costs around £13 from Triumph or less for a similar one from a local auto store. I think it was a fairly standard 38x28x7mm oil seal......

GREAT info; thanks.  I just ordered 2 seals from Amazon and will give it a try.  Should be a 28x40x7.

Tom

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTSSA7W/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 02:07:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Shaktjor1957 [+]
I work for a German engineering company and took all available info to the chief engineer and owner.
He said - simple - every gearbox must have a breather as both the oil and the air expand when it is hot.
Breather should exit  away from dirty or wet areas - see posts on BMW GS with remote breathers on final drive exiting under the seat.
Without a breather the gearbox must put out oil and air when hot and take in air and dirt when cooling.
He has a 130 defender off road camper and all the gearbox breathers are by the windscreen.
We are engineering a remote breather for my XC now/

Sorry to revive an old thread - but did you have any joy in developing a remote breather for the final drive? 

I've just seen this as I have been looking at the recent postings on the issue of rebuilding the final drive by ROBIN

Olly