Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Full riding suits vs Jacket Pants  (Read 1504 times)

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
Re: Full riding suits vs Jacket Pants
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
When the temperature here falls below 70f'ish, I grab my one-piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter....every....single....time.

Someone mentioned the pain of carrying a one-piece suit around.     It's also a pain to carry a motorcycle jacket, while still wearing thick motorcycle pants, making "squishy squishy" sounds with every step you take.    The Roadcrafter comes on and off in less than 20 seconds flat (people always gawk when I unzip it, the suit falls away, and I simply step out of the entire suit) and you're now in street clothing.

I've owned one-piece leather racing suits (for the track, of course), two-piece leather suits, and two-piece nylon suits (Olympia Motoquest), but I'll never part with my Roadcrafter.

I never believed in the hype of the Roadcrafter, until a buddy who owned one rode off the side of world-famous Highway 58, which totaled his FJR1300, and broke his left arm.     His Roadcrafter suit had a couple of minuscule scuff marks, and he still owns that same suit.    I immediately bought one, and have never regretted the purchase.

Call Aerostitch and talk with them.    They let me order two different-sized suits (on my Visa card) and try them for a week or so (keeping the tags on them, donning and doffing them, jumping on the motorcycle to see how they bunch-up), and then mail both back, and order the suit I wanted built (a different color than what they currently had in stock.)     You'll find hundreds, if not thousands of testimonials on the Roadcrafter suit.    The information is out there.

ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 05:05:03 PM »
I've extensively used both and my take is counter-intuitive.  Depending on use - the one piece suit is great for a one stop trip, the two piece is always my choice for a multi day or multi stop trip.

One piece oversuit to the office, or an extended stop, take it off for that extended period of time, hang it up, put it on for the ride home. For a multi day trip, with multiple stops, gas, meals, camping, sun, rain, heat, cold, you cant beat the 2 piece suit.  I tend to leave the pants on and take the jacket off at each stop.  Also much easier to add the electrics, rain gear, liner, a piece at a time and remove them the same.  Once at the campground or wherever I'm stopping it's much easier to deal with options rather than always putting on the heavy, bulky, one piece, for a quick burger run.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:08:46 PM by TPadden »

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 11:20:52 PM »
I agree!!   I wear a one piece cover all over my "pro clothes" whenever I ride my bike to work.  Much, much simpler that way.

For that matter, I wore the same suit on a major (7000+ mile) multi-day trip.  But said suit IS NOT even close to water repellent, let alone "waterproof".  So I did have to pull a two piece rainsuit on over it ...   
Dick63

Offline kingoffleece

• Explorer Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 04:22:19 AM »
DWR is what's applied to membrane type fabrics. Keeps water from wetting out the fabric.  Needs renewing from time to time and it's easy to do.
My Aerostitch R-3 light is waterproof, goes on and off in 20 seconds, and is easy as pie to use.

As for hot weather, no thanks to mesh at 100 degrees.  You dry right out.  Use a long sleeve shirt (LD makes the best), wet the sleeves, and open the cuffs just a bit.  2-3 hours of tolerable temps due to the cooling of the water in the shirt.  Works a treat and proven by serious long distance rally riders all over the US.

Offline Speedaddictedberk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer spoke
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
Living in Scotland really hot weather isn't typically an issue, although it got to 27C (about 80F) last week. That's about as hot as it generally gets.

Our issue tends to be nice weather with rain on the same day, sometimes you ride through 3 seasons in an afternoon!

My riding gear is generally a Spidi two piece textile suit with removable waterproof liners, and thermal layers I can also take out. If I'm not riding particularly far or I'm going to be walking about a lot and it's warm I wear draggin jeans and a leather jacket.
I might invest in a mesh jacket for the really nice days, but it seems expensive for 4 days a year!

I don't think a 1 piece would work for me as the temperatures are very variable and I like having the choice.

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by kingoffleece [+]
DWR is what's applied to membrane type fabrics. Keeps water from wetting out the fabric.  Needs renewing from time to time and it's easy to do.
My Aerostitch R-3 light is waterproof, goes on and off in 20 seconds, and is easy as pie to use.

As for hot weather, no thanks to mesh at 100 degrees.  You dry right out.  Use a long sleeve shirt (LD makes the best), wet the sleeves, and open the cuffs just a bit.  2-3 hours of tolerable temps due to the cooling of the water in the shirt.  Works a treat and proven by serious long distance rally riders all over the US.

I certainly appreciate the tip about DWR, but the suit I am referring to (Olympia Stealth) has huge mesh panels in it, and therefore will never be waterproof.  But I do treat other, non-mesh gear I own with DWR. 

Respectfully disagree about mesh in heat.  Yes, you CAN dry right out, but you can also use your same trick with mesh.  And you can deal with drying out by drinking. 

I know you are an expert long distance rider - I am saying that RESPECTFULLY and not sarcastically -  but use of any gear requires proper technique for that gear.  And mesh has served me well in the dry roast heat of the Great Basin summer and the slow barbecue heat of midwest and southeast summers.  So I will keep using it.  In one and two piece suits.

Dick63

Offline Ben_snapper

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

I have 2 riding outfits, a cold/wet/winter one which is a zip together 2 piece Gortex waterproof number, which has removable liners for really cold weather, soft armour and i can put over whatever clothes I'm wearing for work. Then a summer/short trip one, which is Alpine Stars leather jacket with a set of RST jeans with kevlar lining. If i'm in that one for a long ride or the weather could change, I've a 1-piece rain suit that packs into a waist bag which i keep in my tail pack.

Recent Topics