Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spark Plug removal  (Read 2203 times)

Offline CAPTSLOW

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Calgary
Spark Plug removal
« on: December 28, 2016, 02:43:35 AM »
Hey Guys,
I have changed the air filter, and thought I would check the plugs while the tank was off the bike. I pulled the air box to gain access to the plugs.
I am having an issue with getting the plug boots off. Wire is unplugged, and I would think they would pull out to gain access to the plugs. From the video I saw on a Tiger 800 they just pull right up out of the plug holes with minimal effort.
Mine are solid. You can almost pull the bike off the ground before they will budge. Has anyone else had an issue pulling the spark plug boots out of the head?
thanks for any impute.
2012 TRIUMPH EXPLORER GRAPHITE

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Re: Spark Plug removal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »
Yeah, the plugs on my Explorer were exactly the same-I thought I was going to tear the (expensive) ignition coils to bits. If you wanted to pull the engine, you could probably attach cables to the 3 coils and it would lift out no problem. After much pulling/twisting and scraped knuckles they eventually came out, but it wasn't easy :230:

Offline CAPTSLOW

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
 Sounds like one has to just work at it until it comes free.
thanks

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:54:44 PM »
Had the same issue with my Tenere. Coated the rubber on the coils in engine oil when putting back in, hopefully makes it easier next time.
Also, be careful with your choice of spark plug tool. Mine got jammed in the cylinder head because the body of the tool was just too thick. This, of course, only presented itself when the tool was almost on the plug. 2hrs, skinned knuckles, every tool I own on the floor, some Klingon swear words I didn't know I new and all was well in the world again. Live & learn!
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:47:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by BlahBlah [+]
Coated the rubber on the coils in engine oil when putting back in, hopefully makes it easier next time.

Probably better to use rubber grease. Oil or normal grease runs the risk of causing any rubber or plastic to swell, jamming it in position.

Offline Jersey Boy

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Washington MI
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 01:43:27 AM »
I had the same issue with mine. First, try to twist them back and forth to see if that will break the seal. On mine I used a plastic tool used to remove door panels to pry up on them slightly. If you get it just right, they will pop right out.
I use a bit of dielectric grease on the top of the plug to prevent voltage leakage

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
Probably better to use rubber grease. Oil or normal grease runs the risk of causing any rubber or plastic to swell, jamming it in position.

That's really cheered me up! One step forward, two steps back. Think I am going to take up knitting!
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline kennyz1000

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: TEX1215 & Z1000
  • City / Town: Preston`
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
Removed mine recently which were difficult initially. Gave each a shot of WD40 Silicon lube worked in by rotating each back and forth. Then gently and carefully levered them upward below the connection point using a large blade screwdriver whilst supporting the opposite side with my other hand to avoid breakage. All removed easily.

Good luck......

:152:

Offline CAPTSLOW

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
I have some free time this weekend, and will put some work into removing the plugs. Good news is  that it is winter here, and I will not need the bike for awhile. So I can take my time at getting it wrong. Done right I mean :001: Thanks for the heads up about using the proper socket in the head.

Offline CAPTSLOW

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
Good news. I used a thin flat pry bar that gave me some flex, and aloud me to put the right amount of pressure on the plug cap. They all popped off without any issues. This outer plugs allowed more room to work from the side, and the front to get even pressure to pop up the plug caps.
Still had to use a fare bit of pressure to get the job done. More than I would have thought. Still all good. New time to pull the plugs with the correct socket :002:

Recent Topics

nonskid