Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spark Plug removal  (Read 2430 times)

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '17 XRX
  • City / Town: SLC, UT
Re: Spark Plug removal
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:31 AM »
I realize this is a old thread, but hopefully someone is still looking at it. My question is, does the coil pull out of what appears to be a large rubber "grommet" that is in the valve cover, or does the rubber grommet and coil come out as a unit. Two of us spent an hour trying to get any of the coils free. It was tough to do on my two 990 KTM's, but not this tough! Thanks!

Offline CAPTSLOW

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 04:59:43 AM »
Hey there,
Yes the whole rubber boot grommet comes out as one. I used two plastic pry bars on each side right at the metal head to pry the boots off. It does take quite a bit of force. More than one would think. Then they just pop off up and slide out.  Almost feels one could pull the bike off the ground trying to get these off. Also one can get to the side of the plug on both outer plugs. then that give you room to get the middle plug out.

Hope that helps and makes sense. My plugs were in grood shape at 19,000 kms

all the best.
2012 TRIUMPH EXPLORER GRAPHITE

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 05:09:08 AM »
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.!! I plan to get back at this in the morning. To clarify, once removed, if desired, the "grommet" could be removed from the coil itself, correct? In other words, the plastic coil is fitted into a rubber grommet that is then press fit into the valve cover? I have Mark Barne's service manual and the photo of the valve cover off the bike shows the spark plug holes with no grommet. Also, I thought if the plastic coil were to pop out of the "grommet", it would be impossible to fit the sparkplug socket through the valve cover with the grommet in place. Am I understanding correctly.
Thanks again.

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by utahrpm [+]
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.!! I plan to get back at this in the morning. To clarify, once removed, if desired, the "grommet" could be removed from the coil itself, correct? In other words, the plastic coil is fitted into a rubber grommet that is then press fit into the valve cover? I have Mark Barne's service manual and the photo of the valve cover off the bike shows the spark plug holes with no grommet. Also, I thought if the plastic coil were to pop out of the "grommet", it would be impossible to fit the sparkplug socket through the valve cover with the grommet in place. Am I understanding correctly.
Thanks again.

Replying to my own question here in case it helps anyone else.  The plastic coil is inserted into the rubber grommet which is press fitted into the valve cover as a unit. At least in my case, after a soaking overnight with penetrating oil, I was finally able to carfully pry the coil and grommet out as one unit. I do not know if that is Triumph's intention but it is how it worked out for me. It sure would have been helpful if the dealer had coated the grommet in silicone grease before reassembly when I had them change the sparkplugs at 10K (rather than "checking them"). Of course, when I removed the plugs they were only finger tight, so expecting grease on the coil grommet would be asking too much if they can' even tighten the sparkplugs correctly. 

Offline DifftoT140

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Poole
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
Another addition to an old thread:
Having read the text and seen what the coil looks like on Google images I found the trick.  You need to twist the rubber in the head rather than just the coil, if you can do half a turn then great.  This break the 'stickiness' to the aluminium Cam Cover.  Grab hold and pull, comes out easily.  will re-assemble using silicone grease and see what happens in 10,000 miles.
Hope this helps somebody.

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 06:11:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by DifftoT140 [+]
Another addition to an old thread:
Having read the text and seen what the coil looks like on Google images I found the trick.  You need to twist the rubber in the head rather than just the coil, if you can do half a turn then great.  This break the 'stickiness' to the aluminium Cam Cover.  Grab hold and pull, comes out easily.  will re-assemble using silicone grease and see what happens in 10,000 miles.
Hope this helps somebody.

Ah, now the Mark Barnes service manual makes sense where he says to "twist the coil". Twisting the coil only rotates it within the grommet. What you are suggesting makes total sense, thanks.

Offline Aryeh56

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Baltimore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
You're the best kind of forum poster. I thought you would want to know that taking the time to come back and post your answer did help someone :)

Recent Topics