Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Don't take your driving on holidays  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
Don't take your driving on holidays
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:57 PM »
Christmas and new year can cause mayhem on the roads around my part of the world. A big increase in holidaymakers on unfamiliar country roads is a recipe for tragedy. Just last Friday we got news of a dreadful accident that occurred just down the road from were I live.
 It involved two cars meeting head on at the crest of a blind hill. One of the cars was being driven by a Dutch national in a rental car here in Australia on vacation. Apparently he'd forgotten which side of the road he should have been on and was powering on up the hill at 80kls/hr. I guess for a few minutes he thought he was back in Holland.
  Travelling the other way was a young local girl who had just finished her university studies to become a registered nurse and was due to start her career next week at the local hospital.
   Their cars met right at the very crest of that blind hill. Both cars doing 80kls/hr. The impact was massive. Both cars were destroyed. The young girl was taken by ambulance to the local hospital with major injuries. Luckily she survived as none were life threatening. The Dutch national admitted fault at the scene, had no injuries and was very apologetic.

That young local girl is my daughter.

She's alive and that's alli care about.

I m only telling you this stuff because I want to to tell everyone around the world....

DON'T TAKE YOUR DRIVING ON HOLIDAYS

Offline Tony K

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX XC AT 750 VARA
  • City / Town: Dublin
Re: Don't take your driving on holidays
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »
Hi Grey tiger...

Your post hit me unexpectedly hard..:159:
Thoughts and prayers for your daughter you and your family.
I was relived to hear her injuries although major are not life threatening, expected the worst case scenario as I read the post.

We travel a lot from Ireland around  mainland - eastern Europe where they drive mostly on the " other side " of the road and we tie ribbons on the mirror to remind us what side we should be on ...and remind each other before we set off after every stop for petrol, cafe, viewing point etc.

We lost a good friend a few short years back in Portugal to a similar situation, he on his bike and another tourist in a car..they accepted liability but that doesn't bring him back :110:

Your post is sad but in a strange way good   :087:  :028:

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your daughter.

Tony K
2013 TEX XC
2001 Africa Twin XRV  750
2001 VARADERO 1000

Offline owl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SDR+ Tex XC
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:03:31 AM »
Glad your daughter will make it through her physical injuries. The psychological ones may take more time to heal.

I live in Kent, supposedly the 'gateway to Europe' and we get quite a few foreigners going the wrong way round roundabouts after they get off the ferries.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:07:06 AM »
Same feelings as Tony.
I drove in Ireland then Australia some years ago. Strangely, I had very few confusing moments. I found that driving on the wrong side (c; wasn't that weird after all. Of course, being in the middle of traffic helped a lot, but even on deserted backroads (magnificient in both countries BTW) I had no problem keeping left. But I'm somewhat a super conscious rider/driver (which sometimes upsets Mrs NiK when she tries to talk to me from the passenger seat ;-)...

I feel for your daughter (I have three myself), Grey and please pass her all my very best wishes for recovery.

Offline Speedaddictedberk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer spoke
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:00:22 PM »
We get similar with tourists in Scotland, once I had to catch and pass a German guy on a GS (it was ok on the explorer!) to get him back onto the correct side of the road!

You also tend to meet them on single track roads going for passing places on your side, which can be quite exciting when they're driving camper vans.

I find that I'm ok in the country I'm visiting but have the occasional moment once I get home and stop concentrating so much.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
Wow, Grey tiger, my heart certainly goes out to you for your daughter. Having raised 3 of them myself & now with 3 grand daughters, I can certainly relate.

I've always lived in the States & never traveled abroad. I can see where someone who drives for the first time or just occasionally on the opposite side of the road from what you're used to, could have a senior moment or just a brain fart & pull out on the wrong side. What a tragedy for your daughter...  Prayers & well wishes going out for a quick & complete recovery for her.
Jon

Offline Scubadvr

• Explorer Master
  • Where did I leave my keys?
  • Bike: 2014 Green XC
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
So sorry to hear about your daughter's experience, GreyTiger, but glad it wasn't worse. 

I've traveled to Ireland twice and the Cayman Islands more than 10 times, and I was always so paranoid about driving on the wrong side of the road that I really never had a problem with it - it was always  at the forefront of my mind. 

Sorry to hear the Dutch driver was so careless, and that your daughter is enduring the brunt of his mistake.
The journey is the destination!

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 03:34:32 AM »
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. My daughter is still in hospital. She has serious injuries to her hip neck arms and leg. They've said that it could be 12 months or more before she'll be OK. She's also been told her injuries could be career ending which is the worst thing. She's really depressed, not in a good place mentally. She worked really hard to finish her Uni. She was so looking forward to beginning her working life. She's such a caring person and was worried about the other driver who left the country 2days after the accident. He hasn't inquired about her welfare.

Offline pmckinnon

• Explorer Master
  • High Country ride
  • Bike: EXP 2012 Blue
  • City / Town: Sunbury
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
Thats Crap GT i hope everything goes well for you all Regards Pete

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »
Sadly, these things happen, but fortunately not too often. Really sorry to hear of the accident and I hope Your Daughter will come out the other end of this horrendous incident as well as can be expected.

Recent Topics