Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ANY VETERANS ON HERE??  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Wurz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger explorer
  • City / Town: thornton-cleveleys
Re: ANY VETERANS ON HERE??
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Took the Queen's shilling in 1979 and signed on to the R.A.F. (One of my better life decisions) Left in 2001 after 22 fantastic years. Spent all my time based in U.K. , but the last 8 years on the E3D AWACS spent a lot of time living out of a suitcase travelling the world.
Now that I am a civvie, what else does a sootie do but go and work for Rolls-Royce (plus drink beer and ride bikes)

Rigger here.
ive ended up working on final assembly at warton on typhoons. still drinking the beer though not as much or as fast. :030:
Gaz

Offline DaMonk45

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Magnolia, Tx
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
I am, I dont talk about it much because compared to the kids today it is nothing.

I was in SAC Northern Tier missile sites. (the nukes)
Grand Forks, Minot, Maelstrom, Elsworth.

They are all closed now, or for the most part they are. The world is a better place because they are closed. I will not and I cannot compare what we did on the missile sites to what the kids go through today. At the same time I hope no one forgets what we did there or the reasons why, and No one ever has to do it again. Yes, I know someplace out there they are doing it now. Just I don't know about it.

We did spend the nights 90 ft underground listening to radio free Europe.
We spend the nights playing D n D
I was working the night Egypt Prime Minister Sadat was shot.....Not a night I ever want to go thought again.
Many things happend, many things went on, many many times we were too close for comfort. We did our jobs and we did them well for the most part and the world never knew. Hell, we didn't even know what was real and what was pretend.
That is the way it was set up.
I was told early on this: "Hell, don't worry about a terrorist shooting you. We will" It was a quiet way of telling everyone that no hostages would be taken and that no one would give up, This would never be a stand off. It may start here, but it would end just as fast.
It was the way we lived when we were on duty  24/7. I do not know anyone who did not know, understand or accept that.

Pray that no one EVER has to do it again.

I did it..I salute the ones who went before.

Thank you

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:31:57 PM by DaMonk45 »
... but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson.

Offline Pitbull

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Dawley Telford
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
Never feel you didn't do enough

You served in more peaceful times but you were ready and waiting and the end is you served your country.

Be proud and stand tall sir

I agree they have it tough now but we would have done the same I salute all past and present.
Forward he cried, from the rear, and the front rank died!!!

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 12:03:07 AM »
 :0461: :460:
Jon

Online Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Atherstone
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 07:39:19 AM »
Joined in late '90 as a member of her Majesty's Corps of Royal Engineers and travelled with them for a bit then transferred to the Green Slime - better prospects and more travel opportunities.

I worked with another forum member (Jamieklb) for a few years in Germany, before he departed.

Did all of the usual tours that a Brit squaddies does (including some odd ones too!). 

Had a brill time and more importantly made some of my best mates!  And I stil keep in touch with them too!  Love to go to the Army vs Navy match every year (haven't seen the game for the last 5 yrs - too tipsy!) just to catch up! 

I retired 3yrs ago and moved into the Law Enforcement area with the Civ Service. 

Do I miss it ? 
TOO RIGHT I DO - AND I'D GO BACK TOMORROW AND START ALL OVER AGAIN FROM SCRATCH AND NOT CHANGE A THING !!

Cheers to all those who have served in the Armed Forces and Law Enforcement - Well done !!                                 

:821:      :821:    :821: 

Offline Wurz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger explorer
  • City / Town: thornton-cleveleys
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:37 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  :031:
Gaz

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
Ex- Army here, I did 14 years armoured recce ('89-'03) and since then I've been a copper, for my sins...

I preferred it in the green uniform.  :038:

Offline Dodger

• Explorer Member
  • Dodger
  • Bike: explorer XC
  • City / Town: Hertford
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »
Ex Royal Navy, joined in 1980, after serving on warships upon my return from the Falklands war in 1982 ended up being "recommended" by my then serving Commanding Officer I became Permanent crew onboard the Royal Yacht britannia....served on her until leaving in 1988.
Not sure how it all happened but ended up doing 23 years as a Prison Officer at Pentonville Prison in London, took early retirement/redundancy in 2013 and now work at London Stansted airport.
Off to Portugal/Spain on the Tex in June with the wife (easy trip this year), last hear went to Corfu on the Tex via the Eastern Balkans and mainland Greece, year before that did Istanbul and then on to Southern Turkey.
Wife keeps going on about getting a "helmet to helmet" intercom, .....(told her they do not fit the helmets we have  :082:)
Have a great summer riding everyone whatever side of the "pond" you are on, and SAFE RIDING ...... 
Dodger

Offline Dodger

• Explorer Member
  • Dodger
  • Bike: explorer XC
  • City / Town: Hertford
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
Dodger

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dodger [+]
Wife keeps going on about getting a "helmet to helmet" intercom, .....(told her they do not fit the helmets we have  :082:)
Ooh you fibber!

Recent Topics

nonskid