Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Panniers, Triumph vs Givi  (Read 5896 times)

Offline daveud

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: XRX
  • City / Town: Penarth
Panniers, Triumph vs Givi
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
Below is a link to a YouTube video showing my solution to the OEM vs Givi pannier issue .... :305:

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Re: Panniers, Triumph vs Givi
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »
Seriously considering a TEx so thanks for posting this, good info to have and nicely done video.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline JJ Explorer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
Good video  :028:
I had no idea they were so different, I thought my wife was just moaning because she was used to the previous bike.
I may have to look into this a bit further now, thanks for the info  :031:
Cheers
JJ

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:39:41 PM »
Great video, I am planning to do this in the next couple of months as the wife constantly complains about the lack of room as a pillion.

I have complained to the Triumph factory about this twice now but they still refuse to acknowledge there is a problem with their version of the pannier rails.  :232: :232: :232:

Are these the ones that you ordered?.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/300078
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline daveud

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: XRX
  • City / Town: Penarth
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »
Givi PL6408CAM. These are the ones. And I did get these from Sportsbike Shop...

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by daveud [+]
Givi PL6408CAM. These are the ones. And I did get these from Sportsbike Shop...

:062:
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline Fuerte

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Southport
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »
Just to update on the issue I have been having with Triumph with regard to the Panniers and Pillion position.
Despite the fact that both Triumph and the dealer having acknowledged to me that they are aware of this problem neither of them has resolved this to my satisfaction .
I did initially get a response from Triumph saying they would refund to me the cost of the panniers . However they realised from my dealer that the panniers were given to us as part of the sale deal so withdrew their offer .!!!!
The dealer offered a replacement of swopping the new panniers for the older type side opening panniers , which in fact was one of the reasons we changed the Triumph Sprint to the new panniers so that was not a solution .!!!!

All we wanted was a bike with panniers that I as a pillion rider could actually sit on and enjoy the ride and not have my legs squashed by the rider

What we got was a bike with rider and either me on as a pillion with no panniers ,

Or the bike with rider and panniers and no pillion

I still say the Triumph explorer with Panniers and pillion is not fit for purpose
And to say I have lost respect for Triumph and the dealer is an understatement

Today Mike removed the Triumph brackets and fitted Givi brackets , this enabled the Panniers when fitted to be in a lower and further back position

So at last I can sit as Pillion with Panniers on and not having my legs squashed by the rider .
Cost £156

And no thanks what so ever from Triumph or the dealer

So beware if you want to have panniers and a pillion on the Tiger explorer don't purchase your panniers from Triumph get them from Givi

Or better still purchase a different bike with panniers from maybe a different company

Offline Bruno mondor

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 TEX XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 03:11:12 AM »
3 weeks ago, I got my 2017 Explorer XCA.  When I ordered the bike back in November 2016, I told the dealer that I was considering buying the Triumph Adventure Aluminum paniers but wanted to see them and try them first with my wife siting at the back before actually buying them.  I had heard about the problem with them.  When I got the bike, the dealer had already installed the side cases and top cases.  WTF.  I told you I wanted to try them first.  My wife sat at the back and as a matter of fact, because they were high and forward, she was not comfortable.   Take them off, I am not buying them, I said.  The lady wasn't happy. 

Anyway, I purchased the Givi 37L cases and the 42L top case (much cheaper than the Triumph cases).  When I received them, I realized that 37L was way too small for my needs. I sent them back and ordered the 48L ones.  I also purchased the Givi rack .  Be aware the left rack and right rack are NOT symmetrical.  The right rack is 1-1/2 inch larger.  This really pissed me off because I specifically asked the salesman at Twisted Throttle if they were symmetrical and he confirmed they were.  BS.  All that to say that Givi racks are great.  They make the cases lower close to 2 inches and further back by 2 inches also, giving more room for my wife to get on the bike and also more comfortable because she does not have the cases touching her legs.  This also help her not scratching the side cases when she get on the bike. 

By the way, it is impossible to have your bike’s key open the Givi cases even if you change the key locks.  When I got my bike, the mechanic gave me 3 case locks just in case I ever buy the Triumph cases.  These locks work with the bike’s key but cannot be used with the Givi cases.  Because of the way they are designed, they can only be used with Triumph cases.  If you buy the Givi cases, you will end up having 2 keys:  one for your bike and one for the cases.  I don’t mind. 

On the picture, on the left is the original Triumph rack and on the right the Givi rack. 

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
2 X Triumph alloy panniers  37ltr...Nicely made. Ignition key fits panniers for ease of use....lovely

Triumph pannier rails...sits the panniers in the perfect position for loading a tent and other stuff across the back seat, provides a very level platform....lovely  (not so good for a pillion though )

Givi pannier rails....sits the panniers lower and further back than the Triumph rails...much better for a pillion...not so go for stability and loading stuff across the back seat.

Total cost in the UK for a set of 37ltr panniers and two sets of rails depending on your requirements for that trip....£156.00

ABSOLUTE BARGAIN.

Offline sprintexplorer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEXLaunch+TexXRT
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
It is possible to change the locks on the Givi luggage to make it match the ignition key.
See topic: https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,13254.10.html

Recent Topics

nonskid