Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Panniers, Triumph vs Givi  (Read 5918 times)

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
Re: Panniers, Triumph vs Givi
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
Bruno, do those Givi racks come off entirely?  I can't remember who has the quick release racks.  I thought it was SW Motech, but I can't remember.  I like the way your cases look and the Givi cases are a little cheaper than SW's options.  I just really want the quick release racks too.  I don't often ride with my luggage.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline McD

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
Bruno, do those Givi racks come off entirely?  I can't remember who has the quick release racks.  I thought it was SW Motech, but I can't remember.  I like the way your cases look and the Givi cases are a little cheaper than SW's options.  I just really want the quick release racks too.  I don't often ride with my luggage.

I have the same Give racks, they do not have the quick release system.  As far as I know only SW Motech have that.  Had a set a few bikes ago and liked it.

As for changing the locks over to the triumph provided ones, it may be possible with some of the locks as sprintexplorer mentioned but it definitely doesn't work with mine. In my givis the lock is held in the latch mechanism by a nut on a thread at the rear centre of the tumbler.  On the supplied triumph tumblers there is no thread and only 2 lugs.  As the latch assemblies don't have anywhere for the lugs on the tumbler to fit the tumbler is effectively about a centimetre too long and there is no way to secure it in the assembly.  The cases I've got are about 2 years old so maybe Givi have changed the locks mechanisms at some point.  It is only a five minute job to pull the latches out and check if you can change them over. BTW if you do pull the latch assembly apart watch out for a very small spring loaded ball bearing under the rear lock cover, DAMHIK.

Iain

Offline Fuerte

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Southport
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 12:10:58 AM »
Amazing all this hassle with changing racks and locks on Panniers because Triumph have designed and made one hell of a mess of designing an Explorer motorbike with Panniers that is actually fit for a pillion. ,,,, ridiculous

Offline Bruno mondor

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 TEX XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 02:32:25 AM »
Well, look at this picture. On the left, the Give lock and on the right, the Triumph lock.  look at the end.  the Givi is fixed wit a locking washer and a nut.  If I switch the locks, there is no way I can fix the Triumph lock to the mechanism.

Offline mrhydea4

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bruno mondor [+]
Well, look at this picture. On the left, the Give lock and on the right, the Triumph lock.  look at the end.  the Givi is fixed wit a locking washer and a nut.  If I switch the locks, there is no way I can fix the Triumph lock to the mechanism.

You are correct in that you cannot swap the Givi and Triumph lock cylinders themselves. However, deeper into the linked thread it talks about switching the entire latch assembly, not just the cylinders.

The full latch assemblies ain't cheap, but I'm tired of carrying four keys around for my Givi boxes. One of the things I don't like with the Givis is that you can't remove the key while unlocked. So, if you want to have more than one box open at a time, you need to carry multiple keys whether they're keyed the same or not. With the Triumphs, not only will they all be keyed the same, I truly only need one key.

Hopefully. If this works...

Offline Zinger

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 03:41:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by mrhydea4 [+]
You are correct in that you cannot swap the Givi and Triumph lock cylinders themselves. However, deeper into the linked thread it talks about switching the entire latch assembly, not just the cylinders.

The full latch assemblies ain't cheap, but I'm tired of carrying four keys around for my Givi boxes. One of the things I don't like with the Givis is that you can't remove the key while unlocked. So, if you want to have more than one box open at a time, you need to carry multiple keys whether they're keyed the same or not. With the Triumphs, not only will they all be keyed the same, I truly only need one key.

Hopefully. If this works...

If you want more than one box open at a time, why not just set the latch and leave the lid open?

Offline Bruno mondor

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 TEX XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 11:08:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]

Not they don't and this is why I like them.  I had the SW's on my KLR and the fact that someone can remove them in 30 secs really bugged me, not only because they could take the cases at the same time or just the racks.  The Gives are fixe.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
I have the 6408 (not the 6408 CAM's) on my '16 XRX (as I have Givi E41 Keyless panniers) and whilst it does have quick release locks, it also has the option to add bolts where they affix at the top, so you have the choice of leaving them unbolted - in which case the racks can be removed using the givi key in about 30 secs (8 quick release bolts), or you have to get a spanner and undo the 2 locking bolts first.

Looking at pictures of yours Bruno I think you have the same fixing bolts I have - undone with a triangle shaped socket? I'd always thought those "quick release" like Dzus fasteners (but happy to be corrected)

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fuerte [+]
Amazing all this hassle with changing racks and locks on Panniers because Triumph have designed and made one hell of a mess of designing an Explorer motorbike with Panniers that is actually fit for a pillion. ,,,, ridiculous

One mans meat and all that. I couldn't disagree with you more, I think Triumph have done a splendid job of siting the panniers. For my needs the panniers sit in the perfect position, the tops of the panniers being level with the seat provides a great platform for loading of camping gear etc.

In my experience and observations most of the folks I see on my travels that have their Explorers fully loaded are riding alone, so one would assume that the pannier position is also right for them.

If Triumph have failed in anyway, which I don't believe they have, perhaps they could offer a choice of pannier rails that suit your needs. Having said that I don't think £156 to have both sets is out of the way.

I believe in a Triumph  survey I completed during the development of the new Explorer, one of the questions was around how you travel. Perhaps the majority travelled alone ? in which case they have made the right decision on the positioning of the panniers.

You can't suit all people all of the time, and sometimes we have to do a little tweaking to make something right for us.

Put the Givi rails on and enjoy a great bike.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »
Interesting approach, wrinkley.  By your logic, Triumph should have left the rear seat off, maybe replacing it with a luggage rack.

Recent Topics

nonskid