Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Panniers, Triumph vs Givi  (Read 5919 times)

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
Re: Panniers, Triumph vs Givi
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fuerte [+]
Amazing all this hassle with changing racks and locks on Panniers because Triumph have designed and made one hell of a mess of designing an Explorer motorbike with Panniers that is actually fit for a pillion. ,,,, ridiculous

Correct, Triumph got it wrong big time and still deny any wrongdoing on their design.

I like many others have paid £150+ for the Givi Cam Pannier Rails that solve the problem.

Bad Triumph!
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline Fuerte

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Southport
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 03:07:13 PM »
Wrinkly I have read your comments and yes I agree as a one up rider the explorer , panniers are perfect ,

However what I think you have overlooked is the fact that it is set up as a two up explorer hence the two heated seats and 12v power socket for   . Also at no point did the dealer point out about the positioning of the panniers. Yet when a pillion is on it is an impossible ride . So don't promote the explorer as a two up with pillions. .

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fuerte [+]
Wrinkly I have read your comments and yes I agree as a one up rider the explorer , panniers are perfect ,

However what I think you have overlooked is the fact that it is set up as a two up explorer hence the two heated seats and 12v power socket for   . Also at no point did the dealer point out about the positioning of the panniers. Yet when a pillion is on it is an impossible ride . So don't promote the explorer as a two up with pillions. .

Fuerte, I do see your point and I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative.

The Explorer is set up to be many things to many folks, it's certainly not set up to be exclusively a 'two up explorer' it's just one of it's many capabilities

It's also set up to have off road abilities, and I doubt there would be more than 1% of owners that would take the bike off road with a pillion.

I'd admit I'm only guessing, but it's an educated guess, that there are less than 20% of owners of the Gen 2 TEX that will ride with a pillion and panniers. It's a great bike 2up, OK the pannier position system is possibly not ideal for some, but it can be easily overcome.

For me personally the bike is a little tall and the reach a little to far forward but these nuances are idiosyncratic to me and are relatively easily overcome.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a died in the wool Triumph fanatic, and if anything out there suited my needs better I'd have it. But, Triumph have built what I believe to be a very capable and well built adventure bike. At the end of the day they are trying to put together a product that suits or is near to suiting a vast array of people with varying wants, needs, shapes and sizes. It would be impossible to meet everyone's needs in one bike, that's why the aftermarket accessories market is worth millions.

OK. I understand it can stick in the throat a little, when after spending many thousands of pounds something doesn't suit us perfectly. But it's certainly not Triumphs fault, they've only tried to appeal to the masses, and I would imagine in 80% of cases they've got it right, or close to.

Life is short and to precious to be worrying about something that can easily be put right for a relatively small outlay.

Don't let it spoil you're enjoyment of a great bike and great times you can have with it.  :001:

Offline Fuerte

• Explorer Junior
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »
agreed about the superb bike. My argument all along is that Triumph were aware of the issues re emails and other purchasers complaints of  the pillion position in 2016. Even acknowledging this in an email re printed on this site. However I was not aware of this site and had I seen the issues would certainly have thought about purchasing. At no point did Triumph make dealers aware of the issues and when we purchased in 2017 feel that we should have bee. Told by the dealer,

Customer care by Triumph in my opinion is 0.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »
As one who didn't upgrade because of this issue I was very disappointed when we tried the bike.
Had I known about the fix at the time I may well have changed my mind.

Triumph have got it wrong, just as they did the headlights on the original 1050 sprint and the original luggage for that bike which needed 3 hands to close and came apart but not undone as the wind hit the panniers. It took them 18 months to redesign and then replace all the original ones.

Triumph road test everything for 1000's of miles but I bet they don't with a pillion on board very often.
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline sprintexplorer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEXLaunch+TexXRT
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 11:24:51 PM »
@mrhydea4, yep, my dealer removed the whole Givi latch assembly (6 bolts on the inside) then screwed on the triumph one, fitted the triumph lock and i could open and close the givi cases with the ignition key. In total it took 15min work.
Nice thing is i now have the triumph logo stamped latch on the givi cases :008:

Offline Fuerte

• Explorer Junior
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 11:35:02 PM »
 That's nice , our dealer Bevan Triumph in Cardiff offered to swop  the panniers to the side opening ones the same as the ones we traded in with them
To purchase this bike and ones we obviously didn't want,

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Member
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »
Just going through this myself but stalled at the footpeg mounting hole. Will get there eventually but it's a lot of filing!

Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Offline Foggy19

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 09:23:08 PM »
After looking at the triumph pannier set up and getting the wife to try a dealer demo with the triumph panniers, it was a NO brainier GIVI all the way more room and quality product 👍🏻

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Member
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 11:30:14 PM »
Just to follow upon this, was actually able to align the rack without and files but with the application of some muscle! Very happy with the result.

One more thing though, the Givi rack comes with a straight supporting bar to connect the two frames but this came up quite a bit short and would also have been in the way of exhaust gases and the Givi tool box I had just fitted. The Triumph brace is angled down and out of the way and fitted perfectly.

Andy

*Originally Posted by knuttt [+]
Just going through this myself but stalled at the footpeg mounting hole. Will get there eventually but it's a lot of filing!

Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Recent Topics

nonskid