Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Heat '17 XRx  (Read 14287 times)

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
Re: Engine Heat '17 XRx
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2017, 01:15:34 AM »
Finally had some warmer weather here, about 85 degrees and had no problem at all with heat from the bike. I was running about 85 mph for about an hour and a half and the bike was fine. It did go up to 5 bars on the guage while stopped in traffic but no discomfort felt. My 2017 XCA now has about 300 miles on it.

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2017, 01:16:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by jaiyenyen [+]
Finally had some warmer weather here, about 85 degrees and had no problem at all with heat from the bike. I was running about 85 mph for about an hour and a half and the bike was fine. It did go up to 5 bars on the guage while stopped in traffic but no discomfort felt. My 2017 XCA now has about 300 miles on it.
  That was 3000 miles.

Offline IronArse

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Keep on keepin' on!
  • Bike: Tex XRx '17
  • City / Town: Kilkenny
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
When people say; "Riding in 30°C or 80°F and no discomfort felt" or similar, do they mean, "Yeah the bloody thing is hot, but it doesn't bother me!", or do they mean there is "No heat whatsoever being felt radiating from the bike??"

This is what is has me wondering.

My bike radiates heat like a stove between my legs even at 20°C. 30°C or above is like a furnace with a good fan blowing it my way just for good measure.
Just wondering have these lads with no issues got b*lls like a jockey and are immune, or do their bikes not radiate any noticeable heat......!?

Is there a difference in the bikes or the riders, that is the question!? Although I doubt any jockey with leather b*lls could sit on mine on a warm day and tell me there's nothing to the heat...

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by IronArse [+]
When people say; "Riding in 30°C or 80°F and no discomfort felt" or similar, do they mean, "Yeah the bloody thing is hot, but it doesn't bother me!", or do they mean there is "No heat whatsoever being felt radiating from the bike??"
There are just so many variables. I don't experience excess heat in the groin. I feel the excess heat lower down in the legs. I think that when it gets hot, heat is a relative thing. Do your legs stand out as hotter than the rest of you?

So, are you tall? Is your seat in the high position or the low position? Mine is in the low position. If your seat is in the high position, maybe it opens up a gap that allows more engine heat to escape up past the saddle?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline walkie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRX low
  • City / Town: Dunoon
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
If you have a Mk1 Tex you don't suffer like those of us on Mk2 models.

Offline marlboroman

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by walkie [+]
If you have a Mk1 Tex you don't suffer like those of us on Mk2 models.
I have a '13.  I'm curious as to why that is?  Does the new fairing design interfere with the air flow?

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
This thread is 16 pages and going nowhere.  It needs some absolute measurement and science, or did I miss it in a previous post?
Get a remote sensing thermometer pointing at a gen1 TEx and a gen2 TEx after a ride under the same conditions.  Compare readings to what the riders felt.  Swap riders, compare their experiences.

Otherwise this thread is just hot air.

-MY gen1 TEx can get hot on the legs, but only in higher temperatures, say, over 30C.  -Temporarily relieved by holding the legs out a bit.  Never too hot to ride.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2017, 01:16:14 AM »

I've recently ridden in 40C in Greece and Italy on my Mk 1. I didn't notice any heat from the engine - it was just that the radiator cowling blocked the wind, so I sometimes stuck my knees out in the breeze.

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »

This is what is has me wondering.

My bike radiates heat like a stove between my legs even at 20°C. 30°C or above is like a furnace with a good fan blowing it my way just for good measure.
Just wondering have these lads with no issues got b*lls like a jockey and are immune, or do their bikes not radiate any noticeable heat......!?

Is there a difference in the bikes or the riders, that is the question!? Although I doubt any jockey with leather b*lls could sit on mine on a warm day and tell me there's nothing to the heat...
What I mean is I feel no discomfort from heat, yes I can feel warm air below my knees coming from both sides of the bike but nothing extreme or unconfortable.

Offline SteveTalaga

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 TEx XC
  • City / Town: Manila
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2017, 05:31:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by jaiyenyen [+]
What I mean is I feel no discomfort from heat, yes I can feel warm air below my knees coming from both sides of the bike but nothing extreme or unconfortable.
Try sitting in snarled up traffic in 30-40 'C, when the fan is on and blowing hot air directly onto your legs because you are just wearing shorts...That's a bit uncomfortable...and I guess I'm now going to incur the wrath of those in the "All the gear, all the time" camp. I know that skin is never the best first line of defence, but when your daily commute involves more waiting than riding....blah blah blah.
1-Pot: Kawasaki KLR650  2-Pots: Aprilia ETV1000  3-Pots: Triumph 1200XC  4-Pots: Kawasaki ZX12R
If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Recent Topics