Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Heat '17 XRx  (Read 28128 times)

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Re: Engine Heat '17 XRx
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »
You might be right, but its the one noticable difference between the models.

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by jaiyenyen [+]
I still don't understand why people think this bike is too hot. I have a 2017 XCA and have never felt uncomfortable even in 80 plus temperatures. Above those temps I think most motorcycles would be uncomfortable and it would be time for a cold beer.

80F is 26C. It's fine at that temperature, but above that, the Tex (or my Gen2 XrX at least) rapidly gets very hot. It's not linear. Fine up to 26, uncomfortable at 30, horrible at 35c, at which point the fan is running constantly if you're in town.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2018, 05:32:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
80F is 26C. It's fine at that temperature, but above that, the Tex (or my Gen2 XrX at least) rapidly gets very hot. It's not linear. Fine up to 26, uncomfortable at 30, horrible at 35c, at which point the fan is running constantly if you're in town.
  I guess I am lucky as it seldom gets over 30 here, 35 is almost unheard of but that would be pretty warm to ride anything I would think.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2018, 04:31:10 AM »
If you can wait for about 3-4 months I can tell you how it goes in 40C-45C weather.   :015:

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2018, 08:07:38 PM »
If you can wait for about 3-4 months I can tell you how it goes in 40C-45C weather. 

Ouch..................At that temp I wouldn't want to be riding anything.......not even sure I'd want to be outside........... or there at all...........surely something with aircon would be essential?
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2018, 08:11:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Ouch..................At that temp I wouldn't want to be riding anything.......not even sure I'd want to be outside........... or there at all...........surely something with aircon would be essential?

Only time I’ve experienced those temps was in Las Vegas, and nothing would have encouraged me to put bike gear on in that heat. :112:

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2018, 04:06:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
Only time I’ve experienced those temps was in Las Vegas, and nothing would have encouraged me to put bike gear on in that heat. :112:

When I am riding in that kind of heat I am out where I don't get into much traffic so I can keep the air flowing.  A traffic jam can really cook your eggs.  You would be surprised how cool you can be with the right gear and a a metered amount of air.   I love the bike and I hate to think of a day I can't ride.   :190:

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »
Hottest I've ridden in is 34-35c in Europe on holiday on my Gen 1.
Got to admit it was feckin hot and pretty uncomfortable at times.
My three mates on a Tiger 800, BMW GS 800 and Kawa 1200 were
also boiling and the beemer was overheating at times.
Probably anything over 25-26c you're going to struggle on a bike.

You guys that live in hot climes I doff my hat too, dunno how you do
it because as others have said at those kind of temps any bike is going
to be a problem with that kind of heat.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
I have ridden in 40C temperatures. There is a difference between riding at highway speeds and being stuck in traffic at those temperatures. But the reality is that any large displacement motorcycle will be hot when it gets hot.

One thing that I notice is the effect of dark colored clothing. My riding jacket is light grey, as is my helmet. My favourite riding pants are light and dark grey on the front, but the seat and the back of the legs are black. I can sure notice the heat difference on the back of my calves, when riding with the sun at my back, due to that black color.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2018, 03:06:08 AM »
Today I was out in 30C riding around (having a heat wave for the next two days), some highway some stop and go.   While I could feel the heat from the engine on my legs it wasn't bad.  I noticed it more when I was moving and I could feel a warmer breeze on my legs.  It wasn't hot and wasn't uncomfortable, if I opened my legs a little the heat went away as it seems to stay close to the body of the bike.  When I was stopped I didn't notice it and I didn't get any extra heat from my seat. 

Recent Topics