Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: UK General Election  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: UK General Election
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumps [+]
Good on her. It will give her her own mandate and hopefully shut up the moaning ninnies.

:0461:

I think it will also give the political parties the chance to outline their Brexit strategy and objectives so we can understand what they hope to negotiate as the view of Britain and the economy in just under 2 years time when we leave the EU.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the whole election is fought on to be honest, such that (at last) we get an understanding of what the future (potentially) holds and we have something which we can hold politicians to account for - as they would need to put what they want to achieve in their manifesto.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
In fact it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the whole election is fought on to be honest, such that (at last) we get an understanding of what the future (potentially) holds and we have something which we can hold politicians to account for - as they would need to put what they want to achieve in their manifesto.

I'm not convinced we will get much detail about strategies and objectives. The PM has made it quite clear that she has no intention of making negotiations public the whole way through, and that she sees publicising the details of what she's aiming for as giving away too much valuable knowledge to the EU's negotiators.

I suspect we're in for the normal political rhetoric and bunkum from all parties, but focused on leaving the EU of course. I don't think we will get a clearer picture of what a post-EU UK looks like until after the deal is done in 2019.

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
This is just another cynical political ploy to take advantage of an opposition on its knees and ensure another guaranteed 5 years in office. I'm sick of the lot of them (including the SNP, in case you are wandering!). It is about time they put a box "None of the above " on the ballot papers, it is the only one I am interested in putting an X to at the moment. If the country was a business, they would all be for the sack!
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 07:15:55 PM »
Excellent movement Mrs May!
With luck she will be returned with a landslide.
Brexit will go full steam ahead and we can finally bin Europe.

Next, hopefully, is a referendum for the English to see if we can finally cast the Scots off to the socio-econo-political wasteland that they seem to be determined to embrace.

🇬🇧 Apple don't do an English flag, so this will have to do until we can free ourselves from the burden of the Saltire.

Phil.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phil [+]
Next, hopefully, is a referendum for the English to see if we can finally cast the Scots off to the socio-econo-political wasteland that they seem to be determined to embrace.

That's a bit unfair. The Scots had an independence referendum and voted to stay part of the UK. Yes, there's lots of talk about holding another one but that's the SNP making all the noise, and unless there's another independence referendum I think it's unreasonable to assume they're speaking for the whole populace of Scotland.

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Excellent movement Mrs May!
With luck she will be returned with a landslide.
Brexit will go full steam ahead and we can finally bin Europe.

🇬🇧 Apple don't do an English flag, so this will have to do until we can free ourselves from the burden of the Saltire.

Phil.

And then you can get rid of the pesky welsh, the irritable Irish, maybe some regions around Yorkshire, even Devon & Cornwall are getting a bit mouthy. Nationalism stinks! End of!

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
As far as I'm aware, no-one in a position of trust, power and responsibility in N Ireland, Wales, Yorkshire (God's County) Devon, Cornwall or anywhere else is forever banging the drum about how much better off they would be by turning their backs on Europe's second, and the World's fourth healthiest economy. Maybe I've missed something.

Ride safe.

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
As far as I'm aware, no-one in a position of trust, power and responsibility in N Ireland, Wales, Yorkshire (God's County) Devon, Cornwall or anywhere else is forever banging the drum about how much better off they would be by turning their backs on Europe's second, and the World's fourth healthiest economy. Maybe I've missed something.

Ride safe.

Yes you have!

The rise in Foodbanks
The reintroduction of selective schooling
The slow privatisation of the NHS
The 50% tax rate cut
The increase in wealth of the top 5%
The massive cuts to in-work benefits
The disability cuts
The reductions to the Police, fire service, Armed forces
The centralisation of the Uk economy within the M25

To name but a few! These are some of the reasons that some Scots (and no doubt large swathes of the rest of the country) have become disillusioned with the Tories/Labour. People tend to turn to extreme parties when there is nowhere else to turn.

We may be a rich country, but that wealth is concentrated and the Tories are propped up by the very ones who benefit the most.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nutter [+]
Which moaning ninnies? I've honestly not heard much public outcry that she doesn't have a mandate to be Prime Minister, neither from those who'd rather leave nor those who'd rather remain. Is it politicians who are the ninnies in this case?

Those who voted to remain would most likely still like to remain, of course, and vice-versa, but I don't see that the PM being leader of her party during an election will change anybody's mind about whether they'd like to leave the EU or not, and as I said I haven't heard many people commenting on her lack of mandate.

Ok, how can anybody possibley suggest that May has a mandate for anything, the advisory Brexit vote was won by the narrowest of margins and the Tories won the last election again by the narrowest margin, all of which goes to show, like Trump that people can win when very few are actually in favour of them, I suspect that if she does win it will not be on her merit, but because many have a dislike for the other party leaders.
Labour are unlikely to launch into yet another leadership challenge at such short notice, Corbyn will not want to halt Brexit, so unless the Liberals manage to form an alliance with Labour then it's unlikely that anyone will be proposing scrapping Brexit altogether.
The only saving grace could be that there will be a lot more younger voters who want to secure their future instead of the older voters who blew Brexit to the extreme right based on long standing bigotry, a total misdirection on finance and soveriegnty and lapping up Farage's Land of Hope and Glory bullsh1t.
Other opinions may and probably will differ  :015:
God save the NHS, the only one who can  :003:
No Pasaran

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by BlahBlah [+]
The centralisation of the Uk economy within the M25

Apart from Lloyds Bank who are moving to Dublin asap  :016:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Recent Topics