Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: UK General Election  (Read 2752 times)

Offline grumps

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer Xc
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
Re: UK General Election
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Just because he wasn't elected this time, doesn't mean he won't be in autumn at the rerun.

Depends on how many unaffordable sweeties he promises the kids.
Explorer Xc, BMW K1600 GTL, GT380

If money can't buy happiness, explain motorbikes and beer

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
Hi you Brits!
(c;

Always interesting to read your thoughts and reactions about your recent election. It somehow raises universals in politics...

Left vs. right, young vs. old, poor vs. rich, sick vs. healthy... Always the same confrontations in human societies!
When we engage into such (perfectly relevant BTW) discussions about politics, we sometimes go deeper and deeper into details, facts, examples, etc. And most of the time, all this ends up being a heart/brain (or ideals/reality, feelings/responsibility, etc.) personal choice.

We're having a general election here these days also and the outcome will certainly be spectacularly compliant to what was expected. The new president will have a huge majority in the Parlement. This is good for him. This is efficient regarding writing new laws and implementing them.

But when deadly obsessive understanders (like myself) try to see through/behind the press reports (which ultimately are just another marketing medium), what do they discover? All of those elections results originate on nothing brilliant or justifiable. This one voter doesn't like the face of the other candidate, that other one had the feeling (real or not, who cares?) that taxes were too hard on him and heard one sentence (most of the time out of context) that made him think that that other candidate would completely change this.

This is the truth of us all, democratic believers. We make our mind from nothing related to the general public good, then we do what we can to justify the decision.

Professional politicians understood that a very long time ago (way before democracy came to reality) and they've been using it to serve their personal objectives like forever.

This - to me - definitely validates the Douglas Adams' quote ;-)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Hi you Brits!
(c;

Always interesting to read your thoughts and reactions about your recent election. It somehow raises universals in politics...

Left vs. right, young vs. old, poor vs. rich, sick vs. healthy... Always the same confrontations in human societies!
When we engage into such (perfectly relevant BTW) discussions about politics, we sometimes go deeper and deeper into details, facts, examples, etc. And most of the time, all this ends up being a heart/brain (or ideals/reality, feelings/responsibility, etc.) personal choice.

We're having a general election here these days also and the outcome will certainly be spectacularly compliant to what was expected. The new president will have a huge majority in the Parlement. This is good for him. This is efficient regarding writing new laws and implementing them.

But when deadly obsessive understanders (like myself) try to see through/behind the press reports (which ultimately are just another marketing medium), what do they discover? All of those elections results originate on nothing brilliant or justifiable. This one voter doesn't like the face of the other candidate, that other one had the feeling (real or not, who cares?) that taxes were too hard on him and heard one sentence (most of the time out of context) that made him think that that other candidate would completely change this.

This is the truth of us all, democratic believers. We make our mind from nothing related to the general public good, then we do what we can to justify the decision.

Professional politicians understood that a very long time ago (way before democracy came to reality) and they've been using it to serve their personal objectives like forever.

This - to me - definitely validates the Douglas Adams' quote ;-)

Now the dust has settled and the embarrassment is well under way, it's interesting to reflect on what happened here, obviously believing her own publicity (ie most of the daily tabloids and half the broadsheets) Mrs May called an election, failed to increase her majority and ended up losing most of it, yet still insists on pursuing radical brexit based on no mandate and zero popularity.

As you suggest, until people stop believing ill-informed and really quite dumb commentry from the hugely biased press and vested personal interests of MP's and start thinking about what's actually going on, then I'm afraid politics in this country is on a very slippery slope, there are distinct echoes of what's happening in the US with Trump, as discussed at length with American friends, again as you say, it's the real issues that are important, not jingoistic assertations about soveriegnty, immigrant blaming and others that simply will not change, but create deep division in society, big surprise (apparently) is that May is trying to strike a TTIP style deal with Trump, giving away our health service and allowing America to run even more of our country, where's the cries about soveriegnty now ?

I was in Lyon yesterday discussing similar issues with a supplier and while Mr Macron isn't turning out quite as "liberal" as was claimed at least Le Pen was given a sound beating and he is a much less radical and nationalistic (dare I say sensible ?) option and I believe your French owned health service, rail travel, public services and energy producers are all doing well, vive la republique and all that  :028:

Even the weather was much better  :008:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
Air Traffic Controllers will still strike though  :008:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline gauldie

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Peterhead
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
Never mind, we'll be having another one in October at this rate.

Can't effing wait to hear all those self serving bellends and their witted twattery. Again.
Four wheels good, two wheels better. George Orwell

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by moggi1964 [+]
Air Traffic Controllers will still strike though  :008:
And airline pilots.
And railway personnels.
And teachers.
And truckers.
And... well I think you get the picture ;-)

There are countries free from any strike however: Turkey (now), Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Cuba...

I still prefer to live here ;-)

Recent Topics

nonskid